DUNES

Subtleknifewielder

OOC: Well, so many others already have a news thread. I hadn't created one yet simply because the main development of my nation took place pretty much completely in other people's threads. This will no longer be completely true. I have several news stories planned out over the course of at least the next couple posts... :D

IC:

Down Under News, in Earnest Service, the best source for news in Promised Land.

Land Deal Down Under

In a recent meeting with top New Cymru officials, Lord of Internal Affairs Richard Anderson negotiated a sale of land in our southernmost province, Victoria. Both Georgina Gates, Lady of Foreign Affairs and President Wallace, signed the deal.

The basics are as follows—the western portion of the province will remain in Promised Land possession, but most of the eastern region will be handed over to our fellow signatory of the Oceanic Pact, New Cymru.

The price was not a flat sum, but rather a share in one of New Cymru’s most profitable diamond mines. According to Anderson, the proceeds from Promised Land's share, will be split fairly between the government and some of those businesses, individuals, and Aboriginal tribes who gave up their land to facilitate this purchase. Those who did not opt for a share in the mine were either simply bought out at a reasonable price, or agreed to become naturalized citizens of New Cymru.

The trade city of Melbourne marks the new southern border. The city will not be governed exclusively by either government, but rather by a locally elected council. This council will be elected entirely by the populace, and will be comprised of six citizens from each nationality. Among other responsibilities, it will be charged with composing local laws not specifically covered by both nations, and settling on penalties for breaking these laws. The local garrison which is already in place, bolstered by additional troops from New Cymru, will enforce these laws, serving as Melbourne’s peacekeeping force until such a time as a regular Police Department can be established. Once this is accomplished, the now-international garrison will assist the naval base in safeguarding the city’s shipping trade, which is expected to flourish and expand even further with the influx of citizens from New Cymru.

And before you consider moving to Melbourne to escape paying taxes, think again. A standard tax for the city has been set, and based on an annual census, the funds will be divided appropriately between the two nations.

Once again, this has been DUNES, your best source for news from Down Under.

OOC: So, what do ya think of my news station’s name? Catchy, interesting, okay, corny, or just plain awful?

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: When is this Halloween thing over anyway? It's driving me nuts!!! I saw Centurius' avatar and the bolded 'Land deal down under' part and thought,"Oh God, he's buying land on ANOTHER continent! :P" /OOC

OOC: I lol'ed. Seriously, though, my Personal guess is that it ends when Halloween is over.

OOC: VERY nice writing. I'd make my own news thread, but I can never think of any content.
OOC: Yeah, I just got my own, yet it didn't get any responses... Wahh. Good on you though/

OOC: Thanks. Though I'd respond to yours, LVN, if I could think of anything realistic to say.

OOC:Before you ask...yes, this is an ingame event. No, I do not plan on having my market go into a full depression, unless an unspecified number of my closest allies do as well...

IC:

Consumer Spending Down, Unemployment Up

The Stock Market hit an all-time low yesterday, with the average price going down to 200 pounds per share. The fall has slowed, but not stopped. Also, the unemployment rate has doubled in the last month from 3% to 6%, according to the National Bureau of Statistics.

In almost an unconscious reaction, consumer spending has fallen, leading several major businesses to actually report losses for the first time in a year and a half.

The mood among the general population has generally worsened--recent polls placed Wallace's approval rating dropping down possibly as as low as 30%.

In response to the current recession, the government has announced that they are lowering all taxes (excepting for general sales taxes and existing tariffs) in hopes that the extra money in the average citizen's pocket will promote spending and call a halt to the recession.

OOC: And this was the event...Consumer spending is going down, unemployment on the way up, and your population is starting to get impatient.

Option 1: Cut the amount of money going into your wars and military so that you have more to circulate around the economy. Population happiness +1, Citizen income +$2.00.

Option 2: Make cuts to all taxes, except a tariff and small sales taxes. Population happiness +1, Citizen income -$5.00, Citizen count +1%. Population happiness -5.

Kind of Ironic, really, since I got that exact same event last month, and it's due to expire in two days.

Couldn't you have just RPed that the crisis was continuing then? Upon first reading this I thought it would merely add to the current wave of financial meltdowns, but your event happened before all of the current mess.

Also, Option 2? Is that one really better? Looking at my nation I would say the first option would make you twice as much. Assuming that -5 happiness is the result if you choose no option.

Couldn't you have just RPed that the crisis was continuing then? Upon first reading this I thought it would merely add to the current wave of financial meltdowns, but your event happened before all of the current mess.

Also, Option 2? Is that one really better? Looking at my nation I would say the first option would make you twice as much. Assuming that -5 happiness is the result if you choose no option.

OOC: As I said, I'll make it a full depression if a certain number of my allies begin to fail economically.

Whenever possible, I pick the option that gives me a higher citizen count, minimizing the infrastructure I have to purchase for improvements. I already make close to 400k a day when you subtract bills--a little loss isn't going to hurt me.

OOC: As I said, I'll make it a full depression if a certain number of my allies begin to fail economically.

Whenever possible, I pick the option that gives me a higher citizen count, minimizing the infrastructure I have to purchase for improvements. I already make close to 400k a day when you subtract bills--a little loss isn't going to hurt me.

OOC: You mean 4 million right? As with your nation it is almost impossible to only make 400k :P

OOC: I was talking in-game money i have less than you and make 4 million a day after bills :P

OOC: Whoops, dropped a zero. Thanks. Well, anyway, other than that one little clerical error *shoots the economist who made it* everything else stands.

OOC: (Parentheses plus italics indicate a strip of text running along the bottom of the screen as the news anchor keeps talking.)

IC:

Suicide Rate Rising

Most experts are baffled as to the cause of what they call “an alarming increase in the national suicide rate.”

While still at the bottom of the list for the most common causes of death among teens, the rate of deaths caused by suicides is increasing drastically. The total number has nearly doubled in the last year, and percentage-wise, it has tripled.

Which makes it even more alarming, experts say. Among the other top causes, total deaths from gang-related activity have maintained their levels, while fatalities from traffic accidents have actually decreased in number. (For more information on that subject, stay tuned after this report.)

However, some actually have a theory to offer. Here is an audio clip from an interview with one of the analysts assigned to find the source of this problem.

“At first I was completely baffled, just like the others. However, as I delved deeper into the problem, I noticed just one other event correlating roughly with this disturbing trend—it began rising soon after pure evolution became the main theory to be officially taught in public schools. However, when I pointed this out to the other members of my research team, they shook their heads and denied any possibility that these two events could be related, but could provide no other possible cause. I myself am still baffled as to why this is happening, and looked long and hard for any other possibility, but could find absolutely nothing else.”

The rest of her interview continues on in the same vein.

When our reporter interviewed the other analysts, we managed to confirm the information she had gathered; the others consistently denied this could be the cause, but were unable to advance any plausible alternate theories. Leaders in several religious groups, and not merely among the Christians, advocate this theory. Several Jewish and Islamic leaders also voiced their support, in addition to single representatives from a number of other major religions who believe in some sort of Creation Story.

In our own efforts to establish or disprove correlation, our reporter tracked down several police officers who have had encounters with suicidal teens. They referred him to the police records and, in exchange for our keeping the real names private, gave us permission to post them on our website, www.DUNES.org. Also while there, feel free to discuss this and other issues on our forums.

Cue commercial break

OOC: Also, just for background, traditional values in Promised Land teach that each life is valuable and precious. This means the suicide rate has always been low, and is part of why they are panicking when they see it increase. It is also, seemingly conversely, the reason they haven’t done away with the death penalty for the most serious crimes, crimes that irreparably damage or destroy multiple human lives.

IC: Please note that the answers to the questions on this form are underlined, and anything not underlined in the answers is something we have added to clarify a point.

***New Jerusalem Police Department, Police Report # 1374-976-12964***

Call Received: August 1, 2008, 7:38 PM

Classification: Non-criminal Emergency

Category: Potential Suicide

Officer Responding: Censored We'll call her Janet

Precinct: 15

Officer’s Report: Upon arriving on the scene and getting out of my car, I observed the girl standing on the roof’s edge of a five-story apartment building. She appeared to be nerving herself to jump until she noticed my presence, whereupon she hesitated.

I waved at her, indicating she should wait for me to come up before doing anything. She was too far away for me to see if she got the message, but she must have understood, because when I stepped out of the elevator on the top floor and took the last few remaining steps up the staircase, she was still there.

I began talking with her, starting by introducing myself, and asking for her name. She answered Kylie. (Not actual name) She began trembling and stuttering as she spoke, as if the reality of what she had been about to do was just now hitting her.

I asked her to walk towards me, as I was now afraid she would collapse and fall off the building unintentionally. She took four shaky steps, then did collapse, as I had feared, though she had gotten far enough away from the edge. She had fainted.

Not knowing her full identity, I searched her for any form of ID, and found a driver’s license with her address on it. I carried her to my car and drove her home.

Her parents were overjoyed and relieved. They told me they had been worried about her, and invited me in for a cup of tea. I declined—I was still on duty. Though I hated to inform them exactly how I had found their daughter.

Like I expected, the good mood evaporated the instant I told them. They were visibly shocked and shaken, and had absolutely no idea why she would do something like this.

Recommended Follow-up: Counseling.

Notes (if any): From state-appointed counselor. Subject Kylie’s discussion, after several sessions, began showing a common factor. She felt as if life was pointless, or at least hers was. She mentioned her Biology 101 teacher had often, in full view of the class, berated students known to advocate any theory contradictory to the Theory of Evolution, particularly those with strong religious convictions. He aggressively sought to disprove their beliefs by shoving the evidence at them.

From there, she began wondering. Kylie began doubting her own Christian beliefs. If there was no God, then indeed Evolution was the only possible explanation for the existence of life in all its diverse forms. If that were so, what point was there to life, other than the inherently strong or intelligent surviving long enough to pass on their genetic heritage? Her grades had been poor for some time, she viewed herself as weak, unworthy of such a privilege, and concluded the best way she could help everyone was by killing herself.

Kylie is progressing nicely, no longer harboring suicidal thoughts, and is, in fact, attending church again. However, I recommend an immediate inquiry concerning the teacher in question. Kylie claims the reason no one reported him was because everyone was too intimidated to work up the courage to do so.

END REPORT

OOC: Next post will have at least a mention of the school teacher's trial.

OOC:Before you ask...yes, this is an ingame event. No, I do not plan on having my market go into a full depression, unless an unspecified number of my closest allies do as well...

IC:

Consumer Spending Down, Unemployment Up

The Stock Market hit an all-time low yesterday, with the average price going down to 200 pounds per share. The fall has slowed, but not stopped. Also, the unemployment rate has doubled in the last month from 3% to 6%, according to the National Bureau of Statistics.

In almost an unconscious reaction, consumer spending has fallen, leading several major businesses to actually report losses for the first time in a year and a half.

The mood among the general population has generally worsened--recent polls placed Wallace's approval rating dropping down possibly as as low as 30%.

In response to the current recession, the government has announced that they are lowering all taxes (excepting for general sales taxes and existing tariffs) in hopes that the extra money in the average citizen's pocket will promote spending and call a halt to the recession.

OOC: And this was the event...Consumer spending is going down, unemployment on the way up, and your population is starting to get impatient.

Option 1: Cut the amount of money going into your wars and military so that you have more to circulate around the economy. Population happiness +1, Citizen income +$2.00.

Option 2: Make cuts to all taxes, except a tariff and small sales taxes. Population happiness +1, Citizen income -$5.00, Citizen count +1%. Population happiness -5.

Kind of Ironic, really, since I got that exact same event last month, and it's due to expire in two days.

OOC: News Down Under! Awesome name :awesome: .

IC: President Ned of Nedland advises Promised Land to lower defense spending. This should help the nation recover.

OOC: (Parentheses plus italics indicate a strip of text running along the bottom of the screen as the news anchor keeps talking.)

IC:

Suicide Rate Rising

Most experts are baffled as to the cause of what they call “an alarming increase in the national suicide rate.”

While still at the bottom of the list for the most common causes of death among teens, the rate of deaths caused by suicides is increasing drastically. The total number has nearly doubled in the last year, and percentage-wise, it has tripled.

Which makes it even more alarming, experts say. Among the other top causes, total deaths from gang-related activity have maintained their levels, while fatalities from traffic accidents have actually decreased in number. (For more information on that subject, stay tuned after this report.)

However, some actually have a theory to offer. Here is an audio clip from an interview with one of the analysts assigned to find the source of this problem.

“At first I was completely baffled, just like the others. However, as I delved deeper into the problem, I noticed just one other event correlating roughly with this disturbing trend—it began rising soon after pure evolution became the main theory to be officially taught in public schools. However, when I pointed this out to the other members of my research team, they shook their heads and denied any possibility that these two events could be related, but could provide no other possible cause. I myself am still baffled as to why this is happening, and looked long and hard for any other possibility, but could find absolutely nothing else.”

The rest of her interview continues on in the same vein.

When our reporter interviewed the other analysts, we managed to confirm the information she had gathered; the others consistently denied this could be the cause, but were unable to advance any plausible alternate theories. Leaders in several religious groups, and not merely among the Christians, advocate this theory. Several Jewish and Islamic leaders also voiced their support, in addition to single representatives from a number of other major religions who believe in some sort of Creation Story.

In our own efforts to establish or disprove correlation, our reporter tracked down several police officers who have had encounters with suicidal teens. They referred him to the police records and, in exchange for our keeping the real names private, gave us permission to post them on our website, www.DUNES.org. Also while there, feel free to discuss this and other issues on our forums.

Cue commercial break

OOC: Also, just for background, traditional values in Promised Land teach that each life is valuable and precious. This means the suicide rate has always been low, and is part of why they are panicking when they see it increase. It is also, seemingly conversely, the reason they haven’t done away with the death penalty for the most serious crimes, crimes that irreparably damage or destroy multiple human lives.

IC: Please note that the answers to the questions on this form are underlined, and anything not underlined in the answers is something we have added to clarify a point.

***New Jerusalem Police Department, Police Report # 1374-976-12964***

Call Received: August 1, 2008, 7:38 PM

Classification: Non-criminal Emergency

Category: Potential Suicide

Officer Responding: Censored We'll call her Janet

Precinct: 15

Officer’s Report: Upon arriving on the scene and getting out of my car, I observed the girl standing on the roof’s edge of a five-story apartment building. She appeared to be nerving herself to jump until she noticed my presence, whereupon she hesitated.

I waved at her, indicating she should wait for me to come up before doing anything. She was too far away for me to see if she got the message, but she must have understood, because when I stepped out of the elevator on the top floor and took the last few remaining steps up the staircase, she was still there.

I began talking with her, starting by introducing myself, and asking for her name. She answered Kylie. (Not actual name) She began trembling and stuttering as she spoke, as if the reality of what she had been about to do was just now hitting her.

I asked her to walk towards me, as I was now afraid she would collapse and fall off the building unintentionally. She took four shaky steps, then did collapse, as I had feared, though she had gotten far enough away from the edge. She had fainted.

Not knowing her full identity, I searched her for any form of ID, and found a driver’s license with her address on it. I carried her to my car and drove her home.

Her parents were overjoyed and relieved. They told me they had been worried about her, and invited me in for a cup of tea. I declined—I was still on duty. Though I hated to inform them exactly how I had found their daughter.

Like I expected, the good mood evaporated the instant I told them. They were visibly shocked and shaken, and had absolutely no idea why she would do something like this.

Recommended Follow-up: Counseling.

Notes (if any): From state-appointed counselor. Subject Kylie’s discussion, after several sessions, began showing a common factor. She felt as if life was pointless, or at least hers was. She mentioned her Biology 101 teacher had often, in full view of the class, berated students known to advocate any theory contradictory to the Theory of Evolution, particularly those with strong religious convictions. He aggressively sought to disprove their beliefs by shoving the evidence at them.

From there, she began wondering. Kylie began doubting her own Christian beliefs. If there was no God, then indeed Evolution was the only possible explanation for the existence of life in all its diverse forms. If that were so, what point was there to life, other than the inherently strong or intelligent surviving long enough to pass on their genetic heritage? Her grades had been poor for some time, she viewed herself as weak, unworthy of such a privilege, and concluded the best way she could help everyone was by killing herself.

Kylie is progressing nicely, no longer harboring suicidal thoughts, and is, in fact, attending church again. However, I recommend an immediate inquiry concerning the teacher in question. Kylie claims the reason no one reported him was because everyone was too intimidated to work up the courage to do so.

END REPORT

OOC: Next post will have at least a mention of the school teacher's trial.

President Ned of Nedland has condemned the New Jerusalem Police Force's decision to investigate the teacher.

"Hey," President Ned said when told of these events, "the teacher's right, and I say that he's a hero for standing up to the dogmatic influence that is creationism! I say that he should be praised for this, not sent to court!"

Despite their disagreement with the New Jerusalem Police Force, the Bartowski Administration in Nedland wishes to maintain good relations with Promised Land.

OOC: News Down Under! Awesome name :awesome: .

IC: President Ned of Nedland advises Promised Land to lower defense spending. This should help the nation recover.

We thank you for the advice, but we are already at the lowest levels we feel are safe. And the recession seems to be slowing, anyway.

President Ned of Nedland has condemned the New Jerusalem Police Force's decision to investigate the teacher.

"Hey," President Ned said when told of these events, "the teacher's right, and I say that he's a hero for standing up to the dogmatic influence that is creationism! I say that he should be praised for this, not sent to court!"

Despite their disagreement with the New Jerusalem Police Force, the Bartowski Administration in Nedland wishes to maintain good relations with Promised Land.

A spokesman for the NJPD responded to President Ned's statement in a public address.

"Personally, I too am an advocate of evolution. However, that does not give a teacher, or any public figure of authority, the right to publicly humiliate a student over their beliefs. This is an action I would have expected from a fundamentalist Christian or Muslim, not a respected teacher of evolution."

OOC: :awesome: post!

We thank you for the advice, but we are already at the lowest levels we feel are safe. And the recession seems to be slowing, anyway.

A spokesman for the NJPD responded to President Ned's statement in a public address.

"Personally, I too am an advocate of evolution. However, that does not give a teacher, or any public figure of authority, the right to publicly humiliate a student over their beliefs. This is an action I would have expected from a fundamentalist Christian or Muslim, not a respected teacher of evolution."

OOC: :awesome: post!

President Ned has replied to the NJPD's statement:

"In general, I agree. However, this is a special case. Not only was the girl completely wrong, but her beliefs have encouraged mass genocide and persecutions in the past. While the teacher wasn't right to humiliate the girl, he was in the right when he disproved her beliefs, even if it did lead to an attempted suicide." - President Ned

OOC: Thank you :awesome: .

Edited by Ned the Great

President Ned has replied to the NJPD's statement:

"In general, I agree. However, this is a special case. Not only was the girl completely wrong, but her beliefs have encouraged mass genocide and persecutions. While the teacher wasn't right to humiliate the girl, he was in the right when he debunked her beliefs, even if it did lead to an attempted suicide."

OOC: Thank you :awesome: .

Again, the spokesman replied to Ned's statement.

"Excuse, me, her beliefs have encouraged what now? I point to many terrorist organizations that have no need to use religion as a pretext to murder and kill. Those in power will use any justification they believe the masses will accept. I, personally, have read the Bible, and find it teaches one to respect your fellow human beings. While I don't agree with its version of history, I do agree with the general principles and guidlines it sets out.

And there are many who would debate with you on the 'fact' of evolution. As I said, I personally believe it due to a lack of evidence on the part of Creationists, but I have yet to see any evidence truly supporting evolution, either. It is my belief that the weight of the evidence, therefore, goes to those who advocate the existence of God."

Again, the spokesman replied to Ned's statement.

"Excuse, me, her beliefs have encouraged what now? I point to many terrorist organizations that have no need to use religion as a pretext to murder and kill. Those in power will use any justification they believe the masses will accept. I, personally, have read the Bible, and find it teaches one to respect your fellow human beings. While I don't agree with its version of history, I do agree with the general principles and guidlines it sets out.

And there are many who would debate with you on the 'fact' of evolution. As I said, I personally believe it due to a lack of evidence on the part of Creationists, but I have yet to see any evidence truly supporting evolution, either. It is my belief that the weight of the evidence, therefore, goes to those who advocate the existence of God."

OOC: Kind of funny how they're debating while they are thousands of miles apart :P . Also, Ned's statements below are assuming that Earth's history happened on Planet Bob to an extent.

IC: President Ned has again replied:

"Religious Extremism was used to justify the Spanish Inquisition's persecutions and the witch hunts of the Renaissance. In additon, it was also justified the Nazi regime in Germany's persecution of Jews, Homosexuals, Atheists, and many others who were considered to be "lesser races' because of their beliefs (although race was a slightly bigger issue to the Nazis than religion). Religion was also used to justify the persecution of Communists in the USA in the 1950's, and then was used as an excuse to invade my own country of Nedland, so as to save the people from the "atheist oppression" of my great-grandfather, Ned I. In my opinion, these groups wouldn't have done the things they did without the influence of religion. Indeed, even the Bible itself states (in PSALMS 14:1), "The fool has said in his heart, "There is no god." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." If that isn't discriminatory, I don't know what is. In addition, Leviticus 20:13 states, "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death." That is intolerant of homosexuals. Finally, 1 Peter 2:18 contains a passage that promotes slavery, "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.""

President Ned then called up PotHoler54, an atheist activist and native of Australia, to provide evidence for evolution. Potholer then spoke on:

Human Evolution

President Ned and PotHoler54 wish to mantain that they mean no offense to anyone by this. We are simply wishing to portray our motives and reasons for opposing religious influence. They also wish to maintain good relations with Promised Land. After all, Promised Land did help them stop anti-Ned rebels on more than one occasion.

OOC: Like Ned and PotHoler54, I do not mean to offend you or anyone else by this.

OOC: Too long, can't respond now...

OOC: Got it. Some of my posts can be pretty long :P .

IC: Vice-President Rowan of Nedland has commented the following on this matter:

"My brother, President Ned, would like to apologize for his long speech he performed earlier. We personally do not mind what you believe as long as you are tolerant of others. Ned just gets a little upset when he feels that atheists are being persecuted. After all, he was persecuted as a child for his atheist beliefs." - Rowan Bartowski, Vice President of Nedland.

Edited by Ned the Great

OOC: Got it. Some of my posts can be pretty long :P .

IC: Vice-President Rowan of Nedland has commented the following on this matter:

"My brother, President Ned, would like to apologize for his long speech he performed earlier. We personally do not mind what you believe as long as you are tolerant of others. Ned just gets a little upset when he feels that atheists are being persecuted. After all, he was persecuted as a child for his atheist beliefs." - Rowan Bartowski, Vice President of Nedland.

"Perfectly understandable," replied another spokesperson, this one an strong Christian advocate. "Believe me when this matter was investigated completely on an impartial basis, taking into account what Ned accused us of. There will be no cause to have anyone point fingers at us and say 'persecutors.'"