General RPing Guidelines

Sargun II

UnOfficial CNRP IRC channel - #cnrp OOC ONLY

UnOfficial CNRP IRC channel - #cnrpic IC ONLY

For all practical purposes, this is considered an OOC thread. Please restrict OOC discussions relating to the topics in the OP to this thread only.
I really don't enjoy intervening in roleplay as a moderator, but it seems to be rather necessary here. Good roleplay requires a degree of respect for one another. Saying a group of people RP nazis is not a good idea; however, neither is godmode-ing and deciding what happens in another player's nation. Declaring that you have assassinated a foreign leader without his/her consent is certainly godmode, and I would argue deciding what events happen in another player's country are as well. What is not godmoding, in my opinion, would be attempting to incite rebellions in another player's country, or attempting to assassinate a leader.

That being said, when you are trying those options, to maintain a good RP, the other player needs to be accepting that not everything will go their way. It is unfair to declare that every assassination attempt, every rebellion, every attack fails. This is again where the mutual respect comes into play. You should not decide what happens in another player's nation, but at the same time, you should roleplay your nation and your leader with a degree of realism and acceptance that you are not invincible. If you find a player is doing so unfairly, and not stopping after being asked, you can always make an OOC request that your fellow leaders ignore the person in question.

These are purely my opinions and I am not about to go around handing out warns to people who disagree or don't roleplay in a way I agree with, excluding that which is prohibited in the forum rules themselves. What I am trying to do is lay a general groundwork here that people can live by. You all know the details on what's happening here better than I do, so I am open to any criticisms, suggestions, or clarifications.

OOC: TONE DOWN THE EGOS.

Christ, everyone seems to think they are incapable of error. Remember, the writing you are reading is a PERSON. Just because you can't see their face doesn't mean you need to treat them like dirt.

It is human nature to be wrong occasionally. I make mistakes, you make mistakes, the President makes mistakes. Why is it that when people are told they are wrong, they act like it's some HUGE INSULT to their character when what we should be doing is working together as a community to improve our overall ability and RP, and use each other as a check-and-balance for our mistakes we DO make.

These guidelines aren't meant to be used as a rulebook. This is mainly for newer nations to look at so that they don't do anything to piss the big guys off. This is mainly for new players to look at. The guidelines listed below are so that you know what godmodding is and how to prevent, what a "10x multiplier" is and what "OOC and IC" are. If you need to, you can reference this post for personal RPing, but when dealing with someone else you two should use this as a guide to make your own rules for the roleplay.

I know that CNRP isn't perfect, but there is way too much bickering. This isn't supposed to be "ZOMG LOOK HERE IT SAYS YOU CAN'T DO THAT" when in reality this thread is just supposed to be a way for new players to start off without screwing up and for players to settle OOC disputes.

General Rules for CyberNations Roleplaying

*The first claim made by your nation must be within your in-game sphere of influence (SoI). Any claims outside of your sphere after your first claim must be roleplayed out and accepted by the general community.

Claims should be made here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=43368

*Your in-game (your actual CyberNations nation) citizen count will be multiplied by one hundred (100), and the subsequent number can be your CNRP (CyberNations Roleplaying) citizen count. As long as it isn't !@#$% insane, you can go with other numbers.

*For soldier and tank counts, multiply soldiers x10 and keep tanks the way they are.

*Your in-game tech (technology) level is directly used in CNRP. See below for technology guidelines.

*Your in-game navy is directly used in CNRP. Meaning, whatever you have IG = whatever you have in RP.

*Your in-game air force is counted as your CNRP airforce. However, once you become a "developed" nation, one plane may count as one squadron.

*When engaging in a CNRP war, the out come should be decided before hand by the participants. In cases of rather obvious out comes, common sense can be used, but with larger nations, fortified nations and older RPers coming to an agreement before hand is a much easier and less hateful path than the OOC mud slinging which most wars devolved into.

*The amount of nukes (warheads) you have is equal to your in game level of warheads. Everyone with standard nukes has fission bombs. Weapons research complexes give you hydrogen bombs (keep them within reason not tens of megaton warheads). This decision was reached by consulting with the GMs and at their urging.

*Also, large Fuel air explosive bombs, chemical weapons, large EMP weapons, and biological weapons are capped at 50 and equal to the number of CMs you have in game.

*The term militia is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service. Keeping in the spirit of a militia, the formula:

(max in-game soldier efficiency - max in-game soldier count = militia)

A militia will not have the same strength as a regular army. A 100,000 militia army (which is absurd) would have the strength of a 10,000 soldier army - militia is more powerful when spread out as an insurgency. Keep in mind that militias will be taken on as a case-by-case basis if there are issues and there is no blanket ruling other than the formula.

Game Moderator "wipe" effects

*Type one, total impossibility. IE Death star. Total RP wiped. These kind of god mods are easy to spot, and will be called quickly, so little RP to go back and redo.

*Type two, feature impossibility. IE Fighter jet with a laser. These are sometimes unnoticed, and when found / called, Rp should be paused, while they are argued out in a separate thread. If the feature is found to be impossible, then the Rp continues as if all actions had occurred minus that feature. IE, you still used your fighters, but since they didn't have lasers, they got annihilated.

Communication

*Whenever you say something that is not "in character", use the 'OOC:' tag before the statement.

For example, if Uberstein decides to hold a gladiator tournament, we may insult the action in-game but then add "OOC: haha, nice" to show that we (in real life, not in game) like the idea.

*If something is to be a private message, put "PRIVATE MESSAGE TO <nation name here>" before the message. While the rest of the community will be able to see the message, only the person you send it to will be able to respond or use that information.

*Embassies exist in CNRP. An embassy is a building in a foreign country that would technically belong to you. A diplomat and his staff would be sent to live in the embassy building, and would be there in case you need to talk to the nation the embassy exists in (or vice-versa).

Treaties

*Any treaty (MDP, ODP, economic, NAP, etc.) can be made in CNRP with another nation. For instance, if you sign a Mutual Defense Pact (MDP) with Uberstein, whenever you are attacked in CNRP, Uberstein will activate the MDP and attack whoever attacked you.

*Economic treaties are treaties where you trade with another nation (be it food, technology, medicine), and both nations are to be treated as if they have the same level of whatever they're trading. This is usually called tech trading, see the tech trading rules below.

*ANYTHING THAT DEFIES THE LAWS OF PHYSICS, AERODYNAMICS OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT EXISTS IN REAL LIFE WILL BE NULL AND VOID

-----------------------------------

Tech Chart

I think I hit a nice new tech log scale.

Year = 30 log ( 1.5 * tech ) + 1910

So just throwing some techs and years out there. it fits IG (mostly) except at below 250 tech where it can be up to 5 to ten years out

Tech level 0 = - infinity. We can assume 1910

Tech 1 = 1915

Tech 10 = 1945

Tech 20 = 1954

Tech 30 = 1959

Tech 40 = 1963

Tech 50 = 1966

Tech 100 = 1975

Tech 150 = 1980

Tech 200 = 1984

Tech 250 = 1987

Tech 300 = 1989

Tech 400 = 1993

Tech 500 = 1996

Tech 750 = 2001

Tech 1000 = 2005

Tech 1250 = 2008

Tech 1500 = 2010

Tech 1750 = 2012

Tech 2000 = 2014

Tech 2250 = 2016

Tech 2500 = 2017

Tech 2750 = 2018

Tech 3000 = 2019

Tech 3500 = 2021

Tech 4000 = 2023

Tech 4500 = 2025

Tech 5000 = 2026

Tech Sharing Formula

YourTech + 0.25 * (HighestSharingNation - Your Tech)

-----------------------------------

Issues?

If there is anything not clarified in this post, ask in this thread. If we cannot agree on something standard, then we will discuss it and eventually come to a consensus.

----------------

This topic was helpful. I might start RPing soon. (I've posted in these forums in the past, but I didn't know what RP was about)

I have 2 questions:

1. All the land on the map seems to be occupied. Is it possible for claimed land to overlap? Can we claim "land" that is actually a body of water?

2. What kind of topics should be made in News Reports, and what kind in Nations and War? How do the replies work in each section? How is News Reports different from Nations and War?

1) Protectorates are in fact free land, although it's under the guard of someone. While you're free to lay a claim on protectorates, you should contact the protector in order to get the green light.

I believe that the occupied land in South America is current free as well, not sure.

2) Basically anything pertaining to your RP nation should go in the News Reports forum. Material related to military or war can go to the National and War forum.

-------------------

Edited by Spock
"lol hk" at the top

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever would win in-game includes whoever has the stronger navy, air force, more tech, soldiers, land, infra, etc. etc.

If there is a clear winner then it should be decided beforehand. If it is iffy, then CNRP things would come in. For example, where your nation is located, how far away the combat is, etc. etc.

I think I should include a section called 'questions' where I answer things like that.

Whoever would win in-game includes whoever has the stronger navy, air force, more tech, soldiers, land, infra, etc. etc.

If there is a clear winner then it should be decided beforehand. If it is iffy, then CNRP things would come in. For example, where your nation is located, how far away the combat is, etc. etc.

I think I should include a section called 'questions' where I answer things like that.

You already said if things aren't crystal clear to ask questions, right there in the last paragraph.

Though I still say having more tech does not guarantee victory. I'd say, maybe if one of them is no less than 3/4 the strength of the other, it's not a clear victory.

Add this:

Pinning Threads

If you feel a thread that you've created is significant enough to be pinned in the News Reports section, then send a moderator a PM, politely asking that your thread be pinned. It is up to them to decide whether the quality and content of the thread deserves a pin.

Edited by Sithis

You already said if things aren't crystal clear to ask questions, right there in the last paragraph.

Though I still say having more tech does not guarantee victory. I'd say, maybe if one of them is no less than 3/4 the strength of the other, it's not a clear victory.

I know I said that, but what I meant was adding a section below it so that new players can see questions that have already been asked and answered.

And I agree with you; there should be a clear victor with in-game stats otherwise we turn to CNRP factors.

@Sithis: Thanks, I didn't really know how to do it. I doubt I'll be making any more though :P

@JEDCJT: I almost forgot to ask him

@Manwe: I'll add that to the top of the post <3 and thanks for pinning, you're awesome

And I agree with you; there should be a clear victor with in-game stats otherwise we turn to CNRP factors.

Uh, that's not what I said... at three quarter's strength, I'm trying to say there would be NO clear winner, unless the combatants agreed on the outcome via PM.

I feel you should really emphasize "General". Why? Because I believe sometimes IG actions just shouldn't reflect what happens ingame.

Look at me, I used to be one of the biggest nations IG (And RP) yet since the war, I get beat down to now below-1000 infrastructure. But I still RP a somewhat top-dog nation. Why? Because technology really can't "disappear" that quick IRL, which is how RP is mostly mimicing. What about people, people don't leave a country that quick. A disaster, they typically just move to a different part. Especially when people RP a tight society where people worship their leaders as God's or that they love their country deeply, they're not all going to just "disappear".

I feel if you have been here long enough and people know you RP good and fair, that even if you get knocked way down (like I did) you should still be able to RP at your somewhat former glory.

I especially think that land claims should retain even if you lose tons of it (again, I just looked my IG nation, way smaller).

Also another biggy, tell people to NOT CLAIM LAND IF THEY DON'T PLAN TO BE ACTIVE IN CNRP. I see a good amount of nations that have land yet hardly see around here. Bugs me because a new nation that might be a good RPer could really want that land and not be able to have it as it's occupied by some guy that only shows up once a month.

Again, some of these rules I just don't really follow, but I have common sense. I don't god-mod. Really, the most important rule of CNRP is common sense.

Hope my grammar is good, kind of tired.

Uh, that's not what I said... at three quarter's strength, I'm trying to say there would be NO clear winner, unless the combatants agreed on the outcome via PM.

:wacko:

Sorry if that was confusing. I meant that I agreed with your statement for the 3/4, and that there needs to be a clear winner in-game to actually win in CNRP.

A question concerning my claims:

My in-game nation is currently in South Korea (to where I moved from New Guinea), because I hadn't expected the current war to happen.

Supposing that I hadn't moved my in-game nation, what would my current claims be? I had firm control over the northern half of New Guinea, and Triyun was nice enough to set me up as Imperial Vicory of South Korea. So, given that Triyun still controls South Korea, am I nominally in control of both pieces of territories, or am I restricted to New Guinea?

I feel you should really emphasize "General". Why? Because I believe sometimes IG actions just shouldn't reflect what happens ingame.

Look at me, I used to be one of the biggest nations IG (And RP) yet since the war, I get beat down to now below-1000 infrastructure. But I still RP a somewhat top-dog nation. Why? Because technology really can't "disappear" that quick IRL, which is how RP is mostly mimicing. What about people, people don't leave a country that quick. A disaster, they typically just move to a different part. Especially when people RP a tight society where people worship their leaders as God's or that they love their country deeply, they're not all going to just "disappear".

I feel if you have been here long enough and people know you RP good and fair, that even if you get knocked way down (like I did) you should still be able to RP at your somewhat former glory.

I especially think that land claims should retain even if you lose tons of it (again, I just looked my IG nation, way smaller).

Also another biggy, tell people to NOT CLAIM LAND IF THEY DON'T PLAN TO BE ACTIVE IN CNRP. I see a good amount of nations that have land yet hardly see around here. Bugs me because a new nation that might be a good RPer could really want that land and not be able to have it as it's occupied by some guy that only shows up once a month.

Again, some of these rules I just don't really follow, but I have common sense. I don't god-mod. Really, the most important rule of CNRP is common sense.

I agree with you on that, I meant to add it in but I got side-tracked. I'll work on it.

But there are clear ways to RP the loss of civilians--plague, natural disaster, civil war, terrorist actions, you name it. Although you have a point about the tech, you should still RP a little loss, at least. Perhaps a computer virus or some similar thing...

A question concerning my claims:

My in-game nation is currently in South Korea (to where I moved from New Guinea), because I hadn't expected the current war to happen.

Supposing that I hadn't moved my in-game nation, what would my current claims be? I had firm control over the northern half of New Guinea, and Triyun was nice enough to set me up as Imperial Vicory of South Korea. So, given that Triyun still controls South Korea, am I nominally in control of both pieces of territories, or am I restricted to New Guinea?

If your country claimed New Guinea, you keep New Guinea.

As Triyun set you up as Imperial Viceroy of South Korea, you will be in control of both South Korea and New Guinea. You do not need to give either up.

I want some other opinions on this (by that I mean: "gimme ur opinions, gaiz") before there's a definite answer in the first post.

But there are clear ways to RP the loss of civilians--plague, natural disaster, civil war, terrorist actions, you name it. Although you have a point about the tech, you should still RP a little loss, at least. Perhaps a computer virus or some similar thing...

Why should I have to RP a loss due to IG alliance politics? It seems unfair to me. And the fact we always try to distance ourselves from what's happening in the IG political world from RPing.

Really I think the time you spend in CNRP and the wars you're in should affect your CNRP status. IG nation, while used for some stats, is completely unfair in some cases. Like say a 12K infra, 3 tech nation starts to RP for the first day. if we go by stats, he should technically be able to bone us in anything we do. Is that fair since technically he's a new nation RP wise?

I like a general guideline, but not when we have to follow it like a rulebook. Alliance politics that affect IG nations shouldn't have to reflect CNRP statistics. What if say the next war has totally balanced sides IG. We all get leveled. Do you we really want to all RP at a 1K infrastructure, 200 tech level? Doubtfully.

Why should I have to RP a loss due to IG alliance politics? It seems unfair to me. And the fact we always try to distance ourselves from what's happening in the IG political world from RPing.

Really I think the time you spend in CNRP and the wars you're in should affect your CNRP status. IG nation, while used for some stats, is completely unfair in some cases. Like say a 12K infra, 3 tech nation starts to RP for the first day. if we go by stats, he should technically be able to bone us in anything we do. Is that fair since technically he's a new nation RP wise?

I like a general guideline, but not when we have to follow it like a rulebook. Alliance politics that affect IG nations shouldn't have to reflect CNRP statistics. What if say the next war has totally balanced sides IG. We all get leveled. Do you we really want to all RP at a 1K infrastructure, 200 tech level? Doubtfully.

I think that it's rather ridiculous that just because you were once large means that you have a permanent advantage over other nations. However, you're right. If you lose things, you wouldn't just immediately go 'boom'.

However, I did once propose a sort of fallback option. It would basically be that if a nation gets involved in in-game wars and gets pummeled, there would be a limit to how far the person falls. For instance, if they had 1200 tech and gets down to 200, they'd stop at about 500 or 600, so that they'd be modern or at least near-modern. But it isn't fair to newer nations that large nations get to keep their highest stats even if they make a bonehead decision (or their alliance does, or they're accidentally drawn into war, etc. etc.)

Edited by Sargun

I didn't know about the 2010, but that's not the matter here. What I mean by the nation is considered modern is that they have achieved the level of advancement in education, military, politics, health care, information, communication, and anything else that is on par with the US, France, Great Britain, etc.