College & Cybernations

stangad

Hello,

I got a quick question. I will be attending The Ohio State University next year and I am concerned about whether my account may get warned just because an unknown person may be using the same network. I have already received 2 warnings for aiding a person I know when we logged on to the same network and I don't want to get a third and get deleted over such a trivial matter. Does Cybernations have some sort of system in place to detect different users in an environment like that?

Thanks,

Stangad

I had this problem and my nation and my roommates nation were both deleted. After messaging them back, they didn't respond. I had to start all over again. Which sucks.

I believe that moderation has repeatedly said that they use more than simply straight up IP to determine multies, since I think (might be wrong) I asked a very similar question in the past and got that answer :)

i think the rule is pretty pointless, there will be many other ways to cheat and get around the limitation.

Just because it can't prevent all doesn't mean there's no point in preventing some. Every little bit helps. Just because there's other ways around the system doesn't mean it should be made easy for them.

I am worried about this as well, i'll be living near campus again when school starts and using the schools wireless so if anyone else on campus logs into cybernations it'll be seen as multiple accounts?

edit: also i have a question: if in fact that does happen, couldnt the people at the same campus just provide there school emails? that would prove its different people, as you only get one school email.

Edited by ditchboy00

For what it's worth, I've survived thus far while in college. Even have forgotten to turn off wireless from time to time and have been okay. I just make sure not to trade with the one other guy who I know also plays CN.

Just because it can't prevent all doesn't mean there's no point in preventing some. Every little bit helps. Just because there's other ways around the system doesn't mean it should be made easy for them.

yeah, if you end up banning the one who wasn't intend to cheat, then the rule doesnt work.

Yes I will be starting up college in mid August and really don't want my nation deleted. I've been around for over 670 days and have never cheated or anything. Would be a damn shame to get deleted because of someone else using the same network.

Ok, even with all the discussion here I'm still a little confused.

Now, as with the rest of you, I'm going to college later in August. I will get my new laptop soon and I will have access to the internet via either wireless or wired. Now I'm not the most technical of people, but is the IP address attached to the internet(as in everyone in that wireless has the same IP) or is it by computer (my laptop is the only one with that IP... period)

Since, obviously, I'll be the only one using the laptop, I'm sure there won't be any problems switching to that one to play CN, but will the shared internet connection be a problem? And would wired vs wireless make any difference? Cause I want to get my roommate playing, and he would be playing off his own laptop, so I wanna know if we are both going off the same wireless, would that be a problem, or if going wired would fix that problem.

Or am I raving and there is no problem?

Ok, even with all the discussion here I'm still a little confused.

Now, as with the rest of you, I'm going to college later in August. I will get my new laptop soon and I will have access to the internet via either wireless or wired. Now I'm not the most technical of people, but is the IP address attached to the internet(as in everyone in that wireless has the same IP) or is it by computer (my laptop is the only one with that IP... period)

Since, obviously, I'll be the only one using the laptop, I'm sure there won't be any problems switching to that one to play CN, but will the shared internet connection be a problem? And would wired vs wireless make any difference? Cause I want to get my roommate playing, and he would be playing off his own laptop, so I wanna know if we are both going off the same wireless, would that be a problem, or if going wired would fix that problem.

Or am I raving and there is no problem?

The IP is attached to the Internets, not to the computer. The wireless router you're using has one IP, and all the computers accessing that router are all using that same IP to do whatever it is you university students do on the Internets.

Nooooo! Ok, well what about the wired connection? Is that any better? I can't imagine playing in fear the entire time, and then possibly getting deleted!

And no, I'm not getting my own internet just for CN.

I can either try my luck(like Russian roulette) or do what many other people are doing and try to get CN to change it for the better... somehow... we just don't know how.

Could CN do something with both the IP address and the MAC address? Like I've said before I'm not the most technical, but to me it sounds like a good idea.

I won't even buy a CN T-shirt now, even though I want one, if I'm afraid that the publicity might get someone to start playing and delete my account unknowingly!

Edited by Slayer1557

If it's accessing a router, it doesn't matter. My own router at home has both wired and wireless connections, and only one IP. The ISP server tasks you one IP (or around five, if you pay for all of them, I think I've got five I can play with), and it's assigned to your account. When you log on with the broadband connection, that ISP is then accessed by your router. Computers on the router request data which flows into the router, is packaged as a single request from the ISP, and sent into the tubes to do your ghastly bidding.

Yes, I'm well aware that's one of the worst internet explanations ever.

The MAC address is the hardware address of the computer. Think of it as it's fingerprint. I would use that to lock out my neighbor if he was sharing my wireless network and decided to raise my ire. In the same terms, I put a burly sasquatch in front of his computer's door to my router so he can no longer send his requests with mine into the tubes. We would rather not keep track of the many, many MAC addresses as well as the IP addresses.