MERC gives newbie feedback

Im being totally and brutally honest here so give me some licence;

Cybernations in general is THE most uninviting forum chat group i have even come across. Honestly, the only reason i stayed was because i got so pissed off at some of the posts that i let my anger guide me. Dont get me wrong, you can see that (some of you) are good ppl when you get into the game a little...But if your wondering why you dont see many new people, its probably because the greeting they get is dispicable...

But on a lighter note the members who did initially defend me, and give me an ounce of respect right from the T, were members of Poison Clan... So as members of the Cybernations forum you should be ashamed, but as members of Poison Clan, you should be pretty damn proud of yourself (special shoutout goes to Peggy Sue) possibly the only reason i did stay on.

In short, you wanna see new members, dont get cynical or look down upon newbies, take the time to be patient and show them tthe ropes (humor them if you have to) but there is and never was any reason for the amount of abuse i recieved when i first posted.

I apologise for my Candicy, but seriously Cybernations has a huge problem. And I hope you see this post not as an attack on any individual or group; nor was it an insult to Cybernations... This is a wake-up call for change

if you want change: do it. thats how change works. you cant expect others to do changes you want to see, maybe the majority of the players is pretty satisfied the way it is? Join an alliance of your style or found an own one, gain friends, allies and finally overcome those who are "evil" in your book. That might take a year or two, but thats the price you pay in a "long term game" like CN. If you wait for a "revolution" you can wait for eternity.

People treat new members like dirt because they want to prove to others that they're hilarious by trying to get them to join FAN or GOONS. It's not unique or funny, but they do it anyway because to those already involved in the game, it's somewhat amusing. What you can do to stop it is get a few friends who will greet new members to the game nicely, regardless of what others say to them. In the thread started by Jupiter about people abusing him, there were people on both sides. It's not everyone like that, so it's possible to counter them.

If you really think Cybernations is the most "uninviting forum chat group" you've ever been to, you honestly haven't been to the other 98% of the internet. I think there's some really good people on here given the chance you talk to them non-roleplay form. Likewise, there will always be angry people wherever you go (not just on the internet). Just ignore them and move on.

The best advice I could give to newbies is to lurk for a bit and join a respectable alliance that teaches you the way to greatness. Be honest with yourself, be friendly to others, and don't jump ships in the middle of a war.

Comparing cybernations to 98% of the rest of the chat forums really isn't a valid comparison. We need to consider making Cybernations a better place based upon benchmarks established within our own community. I'm not at all concerned with actions that have transpired on other internet forums, though I'll agree with your point that some of them are quite the bit more ferocious in their treatment of new comers. That set aside I'd have to say that treatment of newcomers is fairly decent here on cybernations.

I for one welcome newcomers like realice9 as they bring something fresh to the game. It gets old seeing the same boring boilerplate announcements from the same major power blocks. In order for this game to grow new blood, energy, and ideas need to be infused into the ranks.

As for how you feel welcomed on these forums I'd suggest that everyone bear in mind its the internet. It can't hurt you unless you let it.

I think it was even more uninviting when I first joined, mainly because of the prevalence of tech raiding and the way newbies who complained about it got horribly flamed. It's improved a lot since then, I just suggest new nations lurk untill they understand what's going on. A lot of questions or things that make perfect sense to a newbie are so incredibly stupid to someone who has played longer...

Cybernations in general is THE most uninviting forum chat group i have even come across. Honestly, the only reason i stayed was because i got so pissed off at some of the posts that i let my anger guide me. Dont get me wrong, you can see that (some of you) are good ppl when you get into the game a little...But if your wondering why you dont see many new people, its probably because the greeting they get is dispicable...

I can see a number potential reasons for that, some of which are a newcomer's fault in not lurking long enough to get a feel for the forums and some of which are the older members' fault.

- In an In-Character forum, it's very easy for a newcomer to get caught up in the belligerence among characters involved in current in-game disputes ... and easy for the combatants to forget there are other folks who have a reason to be on the forum that doesn't involve their own squabbles.

- In and in- or out- of character forum, it wouldn't hurt for a person to use the search functions before asking a question that has been answered, repeatedly, ad nauseum before. It gets tiresome for the more responsible people trying to use the forum to answer up, while the drunk/witty/tired/annoyed folks don't need much provocation (both rosters change, BTW.) However,

- It wouldn't hurt for those who have the time to flame the newbie for ignorance to take some of that time to help make it easier the FIND the Fine Manual. If it exists.

It would be stupid of me to make light of the time it takes to provide a reasoned, accurate, and helpful post. In my experience elsewhere that is almost always far longer than than the time needed for making a quick in-joke, or even an off-the-cuff remark. So it's also the new person's job to learn to tell one from the other.

YMMV. HTH, HAND.

Hob

p.s. This is a polite forum compared to some. You have not seen the worst of it.

I was under the impression that you and I had also made up in private. Perhaps I really don't understand it.

-Bama

Don't get me wrong. But I believe this problem exists as in general, not just with realice9. People shouldn't have to lurk before posting.

- In and in- or out- of character forum, it wouldn't hurt for a person to use the search functions before asking a question that has been answered, repeatedly, ad nauseum before.

I'm probably being totally thick but whenever I've tried to perform a search (top right) I've been greeted with a page saying "Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

I'm probably being totally thick but whenever I've tried to perform a search (top right) I've been greeted with a page saying "Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

No, that is correct, search is disabled.

Cybernations in general is THE most uninviting forum chat group i have even come across.

[...]

This is a wake-up call for change

As was already pointed out your best option is to work for that change. In the meanwhile, the earliest the newcomers realize that this is a tough environment, the better for their "health" (both bits and sanity).

I 100% endorse your motives, but no "appeal to civility" worked for anything this far, and I don't see in yours any exceptional quality that makes it likely that you will succeed in obtaining something.

Good luck, though.

No, that is correct, search is disabled.

Ah. I apologize for pointing folks in the wrong direction. Normally I scan through what look to be the relative forums until I see a topic that looks promising. Also, I often can rely on Google to have indexed much of the existing content.

While not entirely relevant, I spend much time on another IPB bulletin board where Search has always been enabled (but too rarely used) and that has probably skewed my perspective.

Don't get me wrong. But I believe this problem exists as in general, not just with realice9. People shouldn't have to lurk before posting.

I agree, but I do believe that lurking for a while is a good idea, just go get a feel for things. But yeah, it shouldn't be a necessity.

-Bama