New Wonder

Trace

Fallout Shelter System - $40,000,000 - Allows 30% of your defending soldiers +2% per barracks/guerilla camp to survive a nuclear strike (50% if you have 5 Barracks + 5GCs), Reduces tank, cruise missile, and air force losses from a nuclear strike by -25%, Reduces nuclear anarchy by 1 day. Requires 6,000 infrastructure, 2,000 technology.

Soooo, basically you're devaluing nukes even more? Or am I reading that wrong. Nukes are just another weapon these days, not the nation decimators they used to be. Could you perhaps provide some hint as to why? Can we expect something else in the future? Or are nukes going to continue to become glorified cruise missiles?

The infra and tech damage is still there.

This wonder does 2 things:

1: Eliminates the automatic return of soldiers and thereby takes away the automatic defeat alert.

2: Removes one day of nuclear anarchy.

IMO, it isnt very helpful as military isnt a large expense to most nations. The infra/land/tech damage is still there.

@Trace: are you on drugs? the new tech change just enabled nations to deal up to double damage with nukes, with the WRC wonder even up to 3times (yes, thats 450infra per nuke!). I would call that "nation decimator". The Fallout Shelter only enables nation to avoid the usual "defeat alert for free" if they have been just nuked. Against a nation with such a wonder you need to win a real battle afterwards instead invading a totally empty nation.

Edited by (DAC)Syzygy

@Trace: are you on drugs? the new tech change just enabled nations to deal up to double damage with nukes, with the WRC wonder even up to 3times (yes, thats 450infra per nuke!). I would call that "nation decimator". The Fallout Shelter only enables nation to avoid the usual "defeat alert for free" if they have been just nuked. Against a nation with such a wonder you need to win a real battle afterwards instead invading a totally empty nation.

Errr, you DO realize the amount of tech to do anywhere near double damage is.....oh about 10,000. There are 3 nations in the game with that amount, and a whole 5 (yes, including yourself) within reach of it. Let's be realistic here please. Also, THIS wonder tonks nukes. The other helps out in general, not just nukes.

Edit: Also 450 infra is still not nation decimator. Consider that unless you go tech binge crazy, you're likely to have oh.... 15,000 infra when you're at/near the 10K tech mark. 450 infra is piddles. especially since the SDI means you may not be hit either.

Edited by Trace

It takes nukes down a little bit but not that much. Now with tech influencing nukes they still do more damage than they did previously.

Losing 2700 infra from nukes alone in one war is bad enough. If you tack on CM's and everything else it would come out closer to 3800 infra lost in a 1v1.

I do get your point. Nukes are not the ultra-devastating weapon they once were right after the game started. Alliances should once again be afraid to start a nuclear war for fear of both alliances being blown into submission. Sadly this is not the case any more.

Edited by Compstomper

i cant help, but I simply disagree. Nukes still cause full damage, they still cause nuclear anarchy. The defender has now just the chance to avoid an additional defeat alert and get out of nuke anarchy one day faster. While you say "there are only a handfull nations with bigger damage) I can also say "there are only a handfull of nations with that wonder!" next month.

I can see no reason that this wonder decreases the value of nukes, they are still as destructive as before.

Edited by (DAC)Syzygy

And why should a nation that just got nuked not suffer a defeat alert?

I'm still mulling over these new wonders.

I do not think this wonder is a bad thing and I do agree with Syzygy 100% that this wonder does not really harm nukes. My complaint, which is not against this wonder, is that nukes are no longer game ender weapons. Then again I don't believe you should be able to destroy a nation that has built infra for a year and a half in just one or two wars.

Nukes are just no longer feared by all of CN and that is what I think is bad. Though, with how many people have nukes that might be a good thing.

Nukes are still extremely devastating compared to normal warfare. There just not nearly as respected as they once were.

I'm fine with nukes as they are now and they have become even more deadly with the latest update. I'm just stating that they are not the weapon of mass fear they once were.

It's not like nukes are extremely unattainable to be worthy of the status of 'extreme nation decimators'. Plenty of nations can purchase a Manhattan Project from below the 5%, and have a formidable arsenal of nukes.

Nuclear Weapons are still devastating. They destroy a good amount of infra/land/tech (increased now). Yes, nukes are less dangerous if you own this wonder. But that's the very point of the wonder! Each wonder, you get certain unique benefits from; this one just happens to protect you more from nukes.

Furthermore, (and to reiterate) it's very feasible for smaller nations to get nukes of their own.

Which is why I reject the concept that this wonder devalues nukes.

They should add a wonder that requires you be in the top 2.5%, costs 175mill, and requires SDI. When you buy this 'super nuke' it would cost about 50mill, no 'super nuke' stockpile, and would do 1k infra damage. The price would be fine for the damage it does and the tier of nations it is marketed to.

Now that would bring some fear back to the upper tier.

Back to topic.

This wonder has its uses in nuclear war but they are limited. By no means does this devalue nukes.

People either complain about the nuke threshold being too high, or nukes being devalued. The truth is, you can't have both.

If everyone has something, nobody fears it. Its when the few have them that they are truly feared. Nukes won't become any more feared as long as the threshold continues to lower like it is with Manhattan Projects.

Soooo, basically you're devaluing nukes even more? Or am I reading that wrong. Nukes are just another weapon these days, not the nation decimators they used to be. Could you perhaps provide some hint as to why? Can we expect something else in the future? Or are nukes going to continue to become glorified cruise missiles?

Not really, no. This wonder just allows some mobility when getting hit by a nuke, especially that nuke's infra damage has been increased by tech now (not saying all ppl have 10k, but still everyone does more damage).

Also this makes radiation cleanup a pretty damn good trade set, heh