Soldier strategy

King Irwin

It costs only $4.80 to buy each soldier, and I pay a daily bill of $2 for each. (I know this changes slightly based on modifiers, but the same idea would apply for everyone).

I was thinking about selling off all of my soldiers while I pay bills (for say 15 days). If I have about 10,000 soldiers, this would save me $20,000 in bills per day x 15 days = $300,000. It would cost me $48,000 to buy them back again before collecting taxes. This equates to over $250,000 in profit.

What's obvious to me is that this would clearly put me in anarchy during this time. What's less obvious is what that really means. Can someone educate me as to the effects of anarchy, beyond the happiness penalty? Does it increase the cost of any of your bills, or disallow you from anything like buying improvements or aiding?

Clearly, this would not be a wise move if you are expecting to be attacked. But in times of peace, and backed by a powerful alliance, the only major downside I see would be any effects of anarchy.

Has anyone tried this strategy?

If you are talking about going to 0 troops then SOMEONE is likely to come along and beat you silly just for having no army. It's like putting out the welcome mat.

You don't necessarily go into anarchy(not 100% sure on that point myself), but the economic penalties for zero troops would be at least - 9 happiness, and I am pretty sure there another effect, that cuts your income by nearly half altogether. It's the absolute pits I tell you. I would never go below the 20% minimum if I could help it.

most of us do that. well, not with the anarchy thing, but you can totally tank in for 10/15/19 days [100k soldiers, 10k tanks], then dismiss everything at the last day (except the 20% soldiers you need to stay out of anarchy), pay your bills and buy everything back. I usually save 4M from military bills every 10days. and need 1.5M to replace the stuff. thats 2.5M or 250k daily more profit. Not really much, but if you do LC swaps anyway, it doesnt cost additional attention to swap the military as well.

Just try not to let the easy purchase of soldiers get to your head and bankrupt you and you should be straight, unless your intention is to lose a lot of them during a conflict.

Anarchy has an awesome icon, but it's effects really gut you and it's considered a headcount of victory for the opposing nation over you.

No offense but military swapping is rather silly unless you think you might be attacked, just sit at about 20% soldier efficiency all the time and save the extra cash. I'm not really sure about the whole decoming military all the time thing but i suppose it could work. As you know i'm totally anti military and i wouldn't even go that far. Anyways just .02.

-Veritas

Okay, thanks for the responses. It sounds like no one is doing exactly what I was mentioning, although Syzygy is basically doing the same thing (except going from a lot to 20% instead of 20% to 0). (although Conan said he might do it)

I probably won't bother since it is such a small amount (increases daily profit just a fraction of a percent). And what concerns me most is that if I screwed up once and accidentally collected while in anarchy, I would probably never make up that loss even with a lifetime of exercising this strategy.

If it's done perfectly, it seems like it would help that tiny bit though...just probably not worth the effort or risks.

most of us do that. well, not with the anarchy thing, but you can totally tank in for 10/15/19 days [100k soldiers, 10k tanks], then dismiss everything at the last day (except the 20% soldiers you need to stay out of anarchy), pay your bills and buy everything back. I usually save 4M from military bills every 10days. and need 1.5M to replace the stuff. thats 2.5M or 250k daily more profit. Not really much, but if you do LC swaps anyway, it doesnt cost additional attention to swap the military as well.

Yes doing tank swaps is well worth it. But soldiers really isn't all that if you have barracks. You get only 10.00 per soldier at most and you do get anarchy if you go under 20 percent.

I was totally considering chilling with 0 soldiers for a while, there are no negative aspects, unless you get attacked, which is very unlikely when you have a lot of NS as most of the people around that score wouldn't attack an alliance. Besides, you can't raid someone with 0 troops.

You do have a huge negative effect it is anarchy and last time I got into anarchy I didn't loose the half off my collecting until I finally collected. I even waited a few days and it never went away though I wasn't in anarchy.

Actually I think you go into anarchy if you dismiss over half your on hand soldiers even though it is more than 20 percent of your citizens.

I am definitely sure you get a 50 percent loss in tax collecting and it didn't go away after government change not immediately. I think I only waited one day. I don't know if waiting longer helps. I do know tank swapping doesn't put you into anarchy and is a lot of savings.

I've been thinking about this, and obviously me earlier post in this thread was stupid, since I didn't really understand what the OP was asking at the time.

However, are you really talking about making a profit, or just minimizing your expenses here? You are not making MORE $$ by using this strategy, you are just paying less for that large military you are carrying. Now if you think the large military is worth having for defensive purposes, then yes, this is a great way to minimize the cost of that army. If you were only interested in maximizing your income, you wouldn't build the tanks in the first place, you would simply carry the 20% minimum.

Carrying the military is a two edged sword. I'm sure all those troops/tanks inflate your NS, putting you into range of even more people. You might be able to prevent going into anarchy if you get hit by a raider though, that did happen to me the one time I got raided. We had 7 tanks out of 900 or so left. :awesome:

Its not worth it bc if you did this 100 times, the money you would make could be erased by 1 idiot that decided to attack you and give you a defeat alert.

Only if you decide to chill with minimum soldiers for a while instead of buying them back after you collect ;)

Why not decom them after waiting 15 days or so? When you've waited 15 days of bills, decom them, pay the lower bills and buy them back right away, wait a few days and then collect out of anarchy. Saves you money on bills and doesn't have the chance of a defeat alert unless they attack at the perfect time.

Why not decom them after waiting 15 days or so? When you've waited 15 days of bills, decom them, pay the lower bills and buy them back right away, wait a few days and then collect out of anarchy. Saves you money on bills and doesn't have the chance of a defeat alert unless they attack at the perfect time.

This sounds about right, is there any other downsides that are not taken into account? Anarchy is really only bad if you want to collect taxes. And even if you get attacked with zero soldiers they can only hit you one time each day. Your attacker will get the "This nation is to weak to attack, your forces destroy......" Even if three nations attack you only one of them get to do any damage as long as your have no military.

Chances are that you will not get attacked since the attacker will have nothing to gain, when you have no defences they can only destroy some of your land/infra/tech/money not steal it, so unless they only want to hurt you then they would have nothing to gain. In addition there is a cap on how much they can destroy each day, so if you are a large nation you may very well still get a profit even if you are attacked.

The only downside I can see if that if you wait 15 days before you decom and you get attacked you will be forced to collect taxes before the war expire, so you will need to have allies to pund on your attacker until he offer you peace.