Foreign Airforce Base

Guido

My main question is, "How does this wonder effect air defense?" I mean, I know that for most people, this equates to have 20 extra fighters, but I just finished fighting a guy that had this wonder, and I found that I was successful on my bombing runs around 50% of the time, possibly a little less.

My point here is that this should provide a large boost to your defenses since in most cases, a defender that has this wonder should go from a 47-47 fighter ratio to a 67-47 ratio (assuming both are using only 3 bombers). But in my case I was at a disadvantage against this guy of 47-77 fighters since he had construction. That's 30 fighters more than me and yet I still had a decently high success rate. I really feel that the chances of a successful air raid against him should be around 20% or so, but i'm not sure how the strength/odds are calculated for air attacks.

I have thought about making this my next wonder, but i'm just not impressed with what i've seen.

My main question is, "How does this wonder effect air defense?" I mean, I know that for most people, this equates to have 20 extra fighters, but I just finished fighting a guy that had this wonder, and I found that I was successful on my bombing runs around 50% of the time, possibly a little less.

My point here is that this should provide a large boost to your defenses since in most cases, a defender that has this wonder should go from a 47-47 fighter ratio to a 67-47 ratio (assuming both are using only 3 bombers). But in my case I was at a disadvantage against this guy of 47-77 fighters since he had construction. That's 30 fighters more than me and yet I still had a decently high success rate. I really feel that the chances of a successful air raid against him should be around 20% or so, but i'm not sure how the strength/odds are calculated for air attacks.

I have thought about making this my next wonder, but i'm just not impressed with what i've seen.

I tested it out the first time today too and i wasn't impressed either till i realized i was in defcon 5 and that now it affects plane strength as well.

For a long time i thought that tech does have an influence over the result of air strikes, though i was wrong.

I'm still not sure if dogfights gain an offensive boost while attacking too, and i think they should :P

Well, in my experience I'm usually about 80% successful at destroying infra. and destroying a fair number of fighters so if you only had less than 50% success then I'd say it's working pretty well.

What do you consider as successful in your bombing runs? (destroying infra, destroying more fighters, etc?)

Well like I said above, a slightly less than 50% success rate is what I would expect from 2 full airforces going head to head, either both having construction or both not having it. That should give a slight advantage to the defender since they don't have to have 3 bombers, and in the case of construction, can have 10 extra fighters defending since you can still only send 50 planes with construction. But with 20 extra planes, I'd expect a large advantage for the defender. Essentially in my case, the defender had 30 more fighters defending than i sent in my bombing run, that should almost be a sure win for him, IMO.

A successful bombing run is destroying infra. Anything else (including making them lose many fighters) is nearly worthless since planes are cheap to large nations that will be getting the military wonders, which normally come after the 3 or 4 awesome economic wonders.

Tech >> FAB.

I also fought someone (hi conan!) with this wonder and found that on defense, the 60 vs 60 was irrelevant- about 1/3 of the time I destroyed 40+ attacking planes, and still won at least half.

On the flipside, when I attacked I almost never took down a significant number of planes and randomly would lose 20-30.

It seems from my perspective that it is much better on defense than offense.

As someone with a foreign airbase, I was regularly losing large amounts of planes in assisted bombing runs, incoming and outgoing and often not hitting my mark, even with 60 attacking planes, in one battle losing an epic 49 planes (wtf, also hi Guido and Alden!)

The def bonus is superior, yet it doesn't often seem as powerful in offense.

Chocolate planes:

I'm sure some TPF guys would vouch for me on the poor quality of my aircraft.

Seeing as DEFCON affects aircraft too in atk/def I'm sure this has a hand in some of my bigger aerial defeats.

Would you say that it's worth it as a wonder though? It still sucked having to attack you with my planes, but they posed no real threat to my infra and didn't really protect yours all that well for being a wonder.

IMO this is a wonder that has great potential, especially for protecting infrastructure.

As someone with a foreign airbase, I was regularly losing large amounts of planes in assisted bombing runs, incoming and outgoing and often not hitting my mark, even with 60 attacking planes, in one battle losing an epic 49 planes (wtf, also hi Guido and Alden!)

Chocolate planes:

I'm sure some TPF guys would vouch for me on the poor quality of my aircraft.

Seeing as DEFCON affects aircraft too in atk/def I'm sure this has a hand in some of my bigger aerial defeats.

Well you are whooping my $@! in aerial battles right now :P. The FAB definitely helps in aerial runs and defense; in my experience against you Conan, I've found that I'm losing planes like I never have before and you are scoring successful bombing run after successful bombing run against my 60 defending planes... and I have almost two times your tech and relatively equal infra and land. I don't know how aircraft runs are determined in the code and it may be luck as of yet, but my planes are sucking badly compared so far.

I completely agree. In offense, all the FAB served to do was increase your losses, whereas it definitely helped in defense (at least against me).

That battle was 49 fighters and 5 bombers too ;)