CMs. warchests, and other questions

Mirreille

I have some questions that aren't really answered by the wiki/help files. Firstly, is their a point to buying and maintaining CMs? It seems like a waste of $$ to me, you could just maintain a certain amount of $$ on hand and earmark it for CM purchases. That way you would not waste $$ on maintaining them. I know you can lose $$ if you are defeated in battle, but they could just as easily get blown up by enemy bombers too(or spies??). It's a risk either way I would think. I just want to know if there is anything I am missing on the issue, I don't see anything that says you can't buy a CM and fire it immediately. I've seen nations with over 50 of them, Even if they are fighting 6 countries, that's only 12 CMs a day they can fire, right??

Secondly, you see people talk about warchests on the forums, I know what one is, but what are reasonable numbers for an individual nation to hold? When should you start building one? Do/should alliances hold seperate warchests apart from individual nations?(I would think yes, with all the references to 'bank' nations, but I just don't know how they work)

Which leads to the next point, bank nations. When does an alliance need one? Where does one find information on what exactly they do? People mention them, but nothing is ever explained. I'm sure it's much more relevant to larger alliances, but it's good to think about these things beforehand.

Also, I am confused on the tech bonus for tanks. The wiki and the help file don't seem to be in complete agreement. Do defending tanks get the bonus mentioned under the tech description, or just attacking ones?

Any light that could be shed on these topics, or just opinions/advice would be most welcome, thank you. :)

I am torn between my desire to be helpful and my aversion to giving out valuable strategic advice in full public view for everyone and their grandmother to utilize, considering how vital economic management is to the prosecution of large scale conflicts...

For now the aversion is winning. I'm sure someone incredibly eager to show everyone how brilliant and well informed they are will be along soon to spill their guts though. There always is. ;)

Edit: There's no point in holding CMs really, but for larger nations the upkeep is negligible anyway. No harm in that one.

Edited by Reformentia

I, personally, keep around 12 CM's on hand. There is no point in more. I keep those on hand so that I may use my cash on other things as needed, without worrying about purchasing them, if for some reason I do not have a war chest. As far as war chests go, it has been suggested on these forums before to keep around 10 days of your bills. Some people prefer more, others less. A bank nation is basically a nation that can heavily aid other members of the alliance. It is a good idea to have at least one no matter your alliance size. As it grows, more will be needed.

Each alliance is different, and I will not be divulging information on our banking system, personal suggested war chests, etc. I suggest you talk to either your alliance, or a protector (if you have one) to get advice on that more touchy information. Although the above is vague, it should get you started in the right direction.

You have a lot of very alliance-specific questions that most alliances will not give out answers to. If you are a government member of your alliance and you don't know the answers to those questions, you might look into a protectorate agreement with an alliance that could mentor your alliance (or if you have one, ask your protectors).

A few answers (my humble opinion): as far as savings go, your alliance is very small and savings won't really help you much against a reasonably large alliance, but as far as fighting off tech raiders/rogues, having 5-10 days or more worth of bills saved up is not a bad idea. If you are put into anarchy, you don't want to be collecting taxes. Paying your bills and waiting till you can change your government helps a bunch, not to mention being able to swap some improvements to help fight an individual war.

Bank nations would be a question for a protector-type alliance. But the best advice would be to have all of your nations keep cash reserves in case of a war.

1. No point holding CMs except to boost NS. Since you can only have 20 max, there's no real boost anyway.

2. Warchest. Have enough on hand to fight a drawn out war - which could last 7-14 days without needing any outside assistance. Based on your daily bills currently, the math is pretty simple. Have enough to pay bills that long and more to build and rebuild your army. More is always better - especially if nukes can be involved.

3. Bank nations. Most alliances have them. If your alliance plans to be involved in protracted wars against other alliances of similar size you'll need them, unless you have warchest policies instead. . . Bank nations should be able to NET 3M/day after bills.

4. Tech and Tanks. Your alliance should have opinions and test models on these things.