Flag Creation

Cirrus

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a nice and comprehensive guide, hope people are paying attention. Excellent, you rock.

Also custom themes are dumb luck; either you have a genius in the house or you don't.

Well for SMF, you can base a theme off of the default skin using a couple of sites. I know of one that has an SMF theme Generator.

SMF is nice. I set it up for my friend's comic site. I recommend it as well. You can download and install packages (plugins, themes, etc) easily, it's quite nice.

I currently have Netfirms as my webhost. 250GB disk space and 2000GB of bandwidth for 10 dollars a month (sometimes with specials, even lower!). I have went over 1500GB and I didn't hit a "cap".

We use PHPBB and we're quite satisfied with it :). It's incredibly customizable and easy to use.

With PHPBB there's no need to ever switch to a paid forum unless you have forums which have a tremendous amount of visitors per day/posts per hour.

By the way, I expected something else here :P. I was kinda hoping for advice on who to mask, how to setup your admin rights and how to prevent the wrong people from gaining access, what are good masking systems/forum setups etc :).

Good op, would read again.

Also Academic subforum worthy?

I'd say so.

I've both IF, IP.Board, phpBB and SMF. I'd rank them in this order:

IP.Board > SMF > phpBB > IF

And on the note of overselling, I havn't had that problem with Dreamhost. I have a friend who runs a popular IP.Board setup over there and they havn't bothered him at all. (He upgraded to their VPS' recently, so that might be what the problem is.) And note: Please for the love of admin/god stay away from any host that does cPanel.

Do remember every hosting company that makes money oversells to some extent, its simply stupid not to

The question is whether the price is reasonable enough that the hosting company can have a scalable solution so that they can quickly upgrade their servers when they start to get closer to using their full resources

This works because 90% of shared hosting users use under 10% of the hosting specifications they are given

Personal thought: If an alliance bases its quality and success on its forum, then it probably isn't a very good alliance.

Side note: GGA uses invisionfree, and I'd say we're doing tolerably, wouldn't you say :P

You need to have a sweet place to hang out for the alliance to thrive. If you HQ is boring, why bother checking it out every day? That's why some alliances have an arcade.

You guys use invisionfree because bilrow won't convert :P

SMF is nice. I set it up for my friend's comic site. I recommend it as well. You can download and install packages (plugins, themes, etc) easily, it's quite nice.

I currently have Netfirms as my webhost. 250GB disk space and 2000GB of bandwidth for 10 dollars a month (sometimes with specials, even lower!). I have went over 1500GB and I didn't hit a "cap".

Netfirms is another overseller I forgot. Haha.

We use PHPBB and we're quite satisfied with it :). It's incredibly customizable and easy to use.

With PHPBB there's no need to ever switch to a paid forum unless you have forums which have a tremendous amount of visitors per day/posts per hour.

By the way, I expected something else here :P. I was kinda hoping for advice on who to mask, how to setup your admin rights and how to prevent the wrong people from gaining access, what are good masking systems/forum setups etc :).

Everyone has their tastes among the free forum systems. I prefer SMF, but I have heard phpbb is excellent. I can make a little guide later on how to mask and stuff for SMF, and a general security guide.

whats a forum :awesome:

Having used pretty much all of the different types of forms listed above, i personally prefer IP boards, but as has been states smf is quality for free.

Ya.

Good op, would read again.

Also Academic subforum worthy?

Do people even read that forum?

bros knows his ****. Listen to him.

<3

I'd say so.

I've both IF, IP.Board, phpBB and SMF. I'd rank them in this order:

IP.Board > SMF > phpBB > IF

And on the note of overselling, I havn't had that problem with Dreamhost. I have a friend who runs a popular IP.Board setup over there and they havn't bothered him at all. (He upgraded to their VPS' recently, so that might be what the problem is.) And note: Please for the love of admin/god stay away from any host that does cPanel.

That sounds good. Dreamhost oversells. I believe when ES had an account there, they didn't notice when he ran a shoutcast server on their shared hosting <_<

I echo that sentiment. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T HAVE cPanel. And I think I will add another part of the guide.