Keeping spies around for anti-spy ops.

Statalyzer

Is buying spies a good idea, even if you don't plan on doing any spying yourself, just for the boost in exposing any spying ops against your country?

I can do some simple calcs, since the formula is Tech/20 + spies, that with 200 tech just 5 spies would increase by 50% your odds of stopping operations. I'm just curious if this is a common practice or generally considered not worth spending the money on spies on if you don't plan on using them.

I've been wondering the same thing.

My guess is that it greatly depends on the size of your nation. The cost of purchasing spies appears prohibitive for smaller nations and the cost of operations appears very prohibitive. Why would a small nation spend >$200k to destroy a cruise missile that if successful would do less damage than $200k?

However, the benefits to nuclear nations can be huge. Destroying one nuke before it's launched at you could save millions in damage and/or lost revenue.

Personally, I find it difficult to spend millions on the spies when they add no NS. That being said, I own my share.

However, the benefits to nuclear nations can be huge. Destroying one nuke before it's launched at you could save millions in damage and/or lost revenue.

circa 33 million per Nuke, as I recently found out. Thats does not even account for lost revenue, tech, or land...

Edited by TheDave

Why would a small nation spend >$200k to destroy a cruise missile that if successful would do less damage than $200k?

I'm not talking about that, I'm just talking about keeping spies around to increase the chance of detecting any spy ops used against you. I guess in spy ops, if undetected the spy is still available to the sending nation, but if reveal, that nation's spy count drops by 1?

The recent issues in the blue sphere have shown that having "defensive spies" is certainly a very good idea (and surprisingly not that wide-spread by various accounts). Like many other things you have to weigh up the investment against other things, but certainly for nations with Nukes it's beyond doubt that you have to have them to protect them from being "spied away".

but i have 800 lying around for the idiots who try to do it to me..

lol!

:wub:

On topic, absolutely! The Blue sphere spying drama shows just how powerful spies can be against a nation with no spies. What an eye opener that was for many nations!

Yes, they are expensive, but purchasing a few at a time begins to add up. And in the event of a war, using them offensively can be a very powerful thing.