MONGOLS Announcement - Sugar, Spice, Violence Accord - DoW

14 hours ago, Cydonian Knight said:

You know how a MD pact works, right? CCC alone would be more than capable of defeating your whole excuse of an alliance, but regardless of that we were honorbound to come fight by their side. But is not only honor that made us declare on y'all, we wanted to punch those mouths you keep running like you could back your words.

We'll see how much money your alliance still has in a week. Not more than a couple billions in total, I bet

IMG_8409.png

I'm under the impression they don't have a whole lot of money left 😉

22 hours ago, SeaBeeGipson said:

Sig > Glock, but would a RPG gain speed in outer space or travel at a set limit?

This got me thinking. Here on Earth it would all depend on the thrust to weight ratio and the amount of fuel the projectile has. Due to the absence of gravity and atmosphere, the speed impact of the thrust factor will be way bigger. So, going by this, I think it will accelerate to until fuel is completely depleted and then it will remain at a constant speed forever or until it crashes against a celestial body. 

I would also like to add that the kind of fuel will be crucial. If the fuel of the RPG is chemical (like the ignition of a granade) it will work just as I stated previously, however; if the ignition and delivery of the payload is reliant on atmospheric gas, then the RPG projectile will not fire at all.

4 hours ago, Lyanna Mormont said:

Why do you have the new little baby nation, did you know you can just wake up your old one? 😮

I'm just making sure I'll be in range if you ever want to attack me when the global is over. 😃

3 hours ago, Kapleo said:

So, going by this, I think it will accelerate to until fuel is completely depleted and then it will remain at a constant speed forever or until it crashes against a celestial body.

I think even the "vacuum" of outer space isn't a perfect vacuum and so maybe the dust particles would decelerate the rocket? Maybe over millennia but, if it didn't hit any celestial body by then, it'll eventually come to a full stop? Or just be captured into orbit of some planet. Not an astrophysic tho

I'm just making sure I'll be in range if you ever want to attack me when the global is over. 😃

Please do stay at my usual range. I'd love to have the opportunity to dance with you some more if the need arose. Won't be as fun until you get a MP and SDI though, so I hope the need doesn't arise until you do

omg did you hard delete it only to come back and start over? I don't have a joke for that. I'm sorry. You had a great nation. I hope you have fun building it again. 

53 minutes ago, Cydonian Knight said:

I think even the "vacuum" of outer space isn't a perfect vacuum and so maybe the dust particles would decelerate the rocket? Maybe over millennia but, if it didn't hit any celestial body by then, it'll eventually come to a full stop? Or just be captured into orbit of some planet. Not an astrophysic tho

You'd be surprised of how empty it actually is out there. You could take an Uber in a straight line at the speed of light and never in millions of years hit anything. 

55 minutes ago, Cydonian Knight said:

Please do stay at my usual range. I'd love to have the opportunity to dance with you some more if the need arose. Won't be as fun until you get a MP and SDI though, so I hope the need doesn't arise until you do

Hey, I'd love a dance with you as well. I remember you kept me busy for a bit. And don't worry, I'll have time to build. We still have a handful of months in which we can't touch each other.

18 minutes ago, Lyanna Mormont said:

omg did you hard delete it only to come back and start over? I don't have a joke for that. I'm sorry. You had a great nation. I hope you have fun building it again. 

When you figure out what GK and Lord Hitchcock had in common, you will understand my answer to your comment. I will have fun 😌

3 hours ago, Cydonian Knight said:

A variety of things may contribute to alter its trajectory but, as Kap said, any encounter is highly unlikely (some more than others).

In millions and billions and tens or hundreds billion years it will eventually meet something it will become a satellite of, or which will drastically change its course and/or state, maybe even destroying its form. If that never happens, its matter will slowly evaporate and it will become scattered atoms randomly distributed in a very vast volume of space.

I'll also add that it doesn't make sense to talk of a full stop, as there's no universal frame of reference. It won't "stop" with respect to its hypothetical starting point - the Earth - either, as this last is constantly moving around too (and it will anyway be destroyed, at the latest, when our star will become a red giant, a few billion years down the road).

13 hours ago, Kapleo said:

You'd be surprised of how empty it actually is out there. You could take an Uber in a straight line at the speed of light and never in millions of years hit anything. 

Well, you won't hit any "big" things, but there are plenty of tiny particles along the way that will take a toll wearing down your lightspeed uber ride.  We also have to assume that you mean something like 99.9999% c because actually traveling at c requires infinite energy.  And the closer you are to c, you'll have had to dump in exponentially more energy, which means all those little particles start to pack a real wallop.  There's real no upper limit to just how much kinetic energy you can pump into anything, even a single hydrogen atom.

1 hour ago, HeroofTime55 said:

Well, you won't hit any "big" things, but there are plenty of tiny particles along the way that will take a toll wearing down your lightspeed uber ride.  We also have to assume that you mean something like 99.9999% c because actually traveling at c requires infinite energy.  And the closer you are to c, you'll have had to dump in exponentially more energy, which means all those little particles start to pack a real wallop.  There's real no upper limit to just how much kinetic energy you can pump into anything, even a single hydrogen atom.

HoT, I never knew you were into these kind of topics. We need more space talk around here. 

13 hours ago, jerdge said:

A variety of things may contribute to alter its trajectory but, as Kap said, any encounter is highly unlikely (some more than others).

In millions and billions and tens or hundreds billion years it will eventually meet something it will become a satellite of, or which will drastically change its course and/or state, maybe even destroying its form. If that never happens, its matter will slowly evaporate and it will become scattered atoms randomly distributed in a very vast volume of space.

I'll also add that it doesn't make sense to talk of a full stop, as there's no universal frame of reference. It won't "stop" with respect to its hypothetical starting point - the Earth - either, as this last is constantly moving around too (and it will anyway be destroyed, at the latest, when our star will become a red giant, a few billion years down the road).

1) Orbital capture involves a loss of energy. You're entering a system on a hyperbolic trajectory, you're going to leave that system on the same hyperbolic trajectory, unless there is something that reduces your energy.  This is a very hard thing to do, actually, and usually involves one object of a binary pair getting kicked off and carrying a bunch of "stolen" energy out off into empty space.

2) You can talk of a "full stop" in the context of the CMB, which seems to be more or less a rest frame for the entire universe, and which can be measured (we have!).  The laws of physics are invariant regardless of what frame of motion you are in, but, it does seem the Universe as a whole, as far as we can see anyway, has a "rest" frame of reference marked by the CMB.

You can also talk of a "full stop" in the reference frame of whatever particle cloud you happen to be moving through. Given a collection of particles, assuming that collection has a generalized velocity in a particular direction, and assuming you spend an infinite amount of time passing through that cloud of particles, your momentum will eventually be transferred to that cloud until you and the cloud share the same velocity, at which point, you are "at rest" relative to the cloud.

1 hour ago, HeroofTime55 said:

1) Orbital capture involves a loss of energy. You're entering a system on a hyperbolic trajectory, you're going to leave that system on the same hyperbolic trajectory, unless there is something that reduces your energy.  This is a very hard thing to do, actually, and usually involves one object of a binary pair getting kicked off and carrying a bunch of "stolen" energy out off into empty space.

2) You can talk of a "full stop" in the context of the CMB, which seems to be more or less a rest frame for the entire universe, and which can be measured (we have!).  The laws of physics are invariant regardless of what frame of motion you are in, but, it does seem the Universe as a whole, as far as we can see anyway, has a "rest" frame of reference marked by the CMB.

You can also talk of a "full stop" in the reference frame of whatever particle cloud you happen to be moving through. Given a collection of particles, assuming that collection has a generalized velocity in a particular direction, and assuming you spend an infinite amount of time passing through that cloud of particles, your momentum will eventually be transferred to that cloud until you and the cloud share the same velocity, at which point, you are "at rest" relative to the cloud.

Good points.

1) Star systems with some big planets can capture external objects, and it seems that such systems are all but uncommon. It's still not "likely" but, in our potentially billion years long scenario with a low energy projectile, it's entirely possible. It depends on the direction you initially aim towards (the centre of the galaxy is one thing, intergalactic space is entirely another thing, etc.)

2) I had never heard of the CMB as a rest reference, I'm intrigued.

3) At rest relative to the cloud and basically indistinguishable from the cloud itself. In other words, "captured" by the cloud?

5 hours ago, jerdge said:

Good points.

1) Star systems with some big planets can capture external objects, and it seems that such systems are all but uncommon. It's still not "likely" but, in our potentially billion years long scenario with a low energy projectile, it's entirely possible. It depends on the direction you initially aim towards (the centre of the galaxy is one thing, intergalactic space is entirely another thing, etc.)

2) I had never heard of the CMB as a rest reference, I'm intrigued.

3) At rest relative to the cloud and basically indistinguishable from the cloud itself. In other words, "captured" by the cloud?

1) Yes, there are plenty of systems with objects, but capture of interstellar objects would require some sort of encounter that causes the interstellar object to lose significant energy relative to the system.  "Low energy" is not a great term here because kinetic energy is also relative to frame of reference, and it is likely that interstellar objects would enter a system at a significantly different velocity from the system, and thus have extremely high kinetic energy relative to that system.  Indeed, we've begun detecting interstellar objects passing through our system, and we suspect these events are likely common.  Capture would require low relative differences in velocity and a very close encounter with a large orbiting body to gravitationally transfer energy, similar to how we've figured out how to do "gravity assists" when we send spacecraft out.

2) Essentially, we have measured a dipole effect in the temperature of the CMB, where one hemisphere of the CMB appears slightly warmer than the other hemisphere, and this is essentially a doppler effect caused by the motion of the Earth relative to the CMB.  It's quite interesting, and I am eternally fascinated by the ability of scientists to extract information from such subtle hints the Universe throws at us.

3) Yes, in effect, it would be captured by the cloud. I don't know exactly how long an object would need to travel through a cloud with a given density before such friction would result in such a state of equilibrium.  Incidentally, this is similar to the other method of capturing an object into orbit, which is to drain energy via an aerobraking event in an atmosphere.  Though for interstellar (hyperbolic) objects, that is highly unlikely, either the atmosphere isn't thick enough to drain enough energy, or you descend too deep into the thicker layers and burn up in an instant.  Atmospheres are not big enough compared to interstellar dust clouds, to absorb energy at a slow enough pace.  It would be an extremely unsafe method for orbital insertion at those velocities - something that has to be considered as we are now thinking up lightsail-powered probes to travel to other stars at large fractions of c.  This is why a lot of probes often do flybys instead of orbital insertions.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2022 at 3:41 PM, SeaBeeGipson said:

Article V: Subarticle I: Supremacy Clause

MONGOLS hereby retain the right to forgo the termination notice and allow for immediate termination of this treaty in the event Non Grata declares war against any of the following alliances, whether in regards to honoring another treaty, their own ambition, or any other cause:

The Soveiregn Alliance of Swash Plates and Tail Rotors

The Sovereign Alliance of Kaskus

The Sovereign and defunct Alliance of Screaming Red Asses, if Walsh should return.

Signed for MONGOLS,

Nashorn of Nashornstan

Black Sheep of Death from Above 82

SeaBeeGipson of Denton

This is likely a gravedig, and I apologize, but I think I may have a foul to give.

Listen up, kids, because this advice is as timely in other worlds as it is in CN:

Always find friends who will not give your position under the floorboards to the Nazi's. 

This is what that looks like.  Like Curtis Goodman, Non-Grata has chosen wisely...

Three OWF pages behind, gonna have to see what's happening, check if that Lyanna girl ever amounted to anything...

10 hours ago, Walshington said:

This is likely a gravedig, and I apologize, but I think I may have a foul to give.

Listen up, kids, because this advice is as timely in other worlds as it is in CN:

Always find friends who will not give your position under the floorboards to the Nazi's. 

This is what that looks like.  Like Curtis Goodman, Non-Grata has chosen wisely...

Three OWF pages behind, gonna have to see what's happening, check if that Lyanna girl ever amounted to anything...

It is good to see you again my friend; they call this the 'end times' but haven't they always? 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:14 PM, Walshington said:

WALSH! I'm just throwing the matches you gave me. Always good to see you around, friend.