The Terrific Tangled Treaty Web

Jazzy95

Today I'm excited to announce an up-to-date AND interactive treaty web, https://treatyweb.claws.rocks/ ! It's still a work in progress (have fun mobile users) but it's at a point where I think most people will find it helpful.

I'll add a legend to the site soon, but for now:

• Solid lines -> M-level defense
  • Dotted Lines -> O-level defense
  • Colored Line -> Blocs
  • Arrow Lines -> Protectorates

If you notice issues with the data or the site itself, please let me know!

Edit: 12/26- Updated the web with images

Edited by Jazzy95

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call what I've managed to do there "untangling" it, by any stretch of the imagination...

As critical as I was of the usability of the webpage (no pun intended!) itself, there's no doubt the result is quite pleasing. Good stuff, @Jazzy95!

3 hours ago, Johnny Apocalypse said:

Nothing like a graphic to explain why this game is in a near perpetual state of inertia.

Good work everyone?

Not to get too philosophical, but I think this is a good demonstration of human nature. Perhaps this was the inevitable end result. I think we tend towards friendship and mutual cooperation, over aggression and destruction. The better different AAs get to know each other and interact, the closer they become, and then they sign a treaty.

The more treaties, the more webby it all gets, and the less wars there are; that much is common sense. Much like in real life, where growing interconnectivity has lead to the effective abolition of war as a method of solving international disputes. Say what you will about the United Nations, but there hasn't been a world war in 70 years.

So yes, I think this is the perfect demonstration of why there is so much inertia, you're quite right. But I also suggest it's the perfect demonstration of humanity itself (not great for the game, but such is life?). Or maybe I'm thinking into things too much?

I do not see HOOooooOOH on this and therefore question it's accuracy.**

I also reject the esteemed @Levonscott's notion of "friendship" and "mutual cooperation" and move that we start to trend more towards aggression and destruction. This is more in line with my motivation for playing this game and therefore should be all of yours as well.

**I kid. Even if the game is a shadow of what it once was, this is good work.

Edited by Van Hoo X

9 hours ago, Van Hoo X said:

I do not see HOOooooOOH on this and therefore question it's accuracy.**

I also reject the esteemed @Levonscott's notion of "friendship" and "mutual cooperation" and move that we start to trend more towards aggression and destruction. This is more in line with my motivation for playing this game and therefore should be all of yours as well.

**I kid. Even if the game is a shadow of what it once was, this is good work.

You'll always be out secret squirrel, Hoo.

19 minutes ago, firingline said:

I think it's based on number of members, I'm guessing the threshold might be at like 100 which you are just under IIRC.

30 more members than GATO

20 more members than KoRT

40 more members than NATO

50 more members than DT

50 more members than VE

50 more members than ODN

Yet all are larger than us on this web 🤷‍♂️

Might be strength, but that still doesn't explain VE being larger than us.

Edited by dane0

12 hours ago, Levonscott said:

Not to get too philosophical, but I think this is a good demonstration of human nature. Perhaps this was the inevitable end result. I think we tend towards friendship and mutual cooperation, over aggression and destruction. The better different AAs get to know each other and interact, the closer they become, and then they sign a treaty.

The more treaties, the more webby it all gets, and the less wars there are; that much is common sense. Much like in real life, where growing interconnectivity has lead to the effective abolition of war as a method of solving international disputes. Say what you will about the United Nations, but there hasn't been a world war in 70 years.

So yes, I think this is the perfect demonstration of why there is so much inertia, you're quite right. But I also suggest it's the perfect demonstration of humanity itself (not great for the game, but such is life?). Or maybe I'm thinking into things too much?

youre not wrong, but I hate this so much. 

Edit: and this web is great, thank you guys.

Edited by kerschbs

14 hours ago, Levonscott said:

I agree with you that the that we've reached the point where everyone active at least "knows" (on-line) almost everyone else active...at least those in leadership positions.  However that's been true in the past.  We don't have to all be allied to be friendly/like someone.  We do not even have to be allied in order not to get in a war. 

I have seen situations where an alliance disbands and the members go different ways and the alliances end on opposite sides of the web and the people who like each other want nothing more than to be in range of each other to fight.

Also, alliances have allied in the past with long histories of conflict prior.  If there is a common goal to achieve, that can happen.

I think enough people in positions of influence just do not have war as a priority.  People have less time for Planet Bob.  In addition, we have more alternatives for the time we have left.