Non Grata and The Imperial Entente Holdfast Together

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Tankobite said:

I'd play Prussia before I'd play British, and I hate wehraboos

Well, given that the British crushed the French who were then subsuquently crushed by Prussia that's unsurprising.

You tried to 'play' the British and you got and burned, so it probably is wise to not try that again. Napoleon had no game against Wellington back then and once again history repeats itself. Just as your historical hero did before you; into exile you go.

At least you tried matey boy. In the meantime; I'm off to start the first Opium War. Maybe I'll see you at the next one eh? ;)

Edited by Johnny Apocalypse

14 minutes ago, Johnny Apocalypse said:

Well, given that the British crushed the French who were then subsuquently crushed by Prussia that's unsurprising.

You tried to 'play' the British and you got and burned, so it probably is wise to not try that again. Napoleon had no game against Wellington back then and once again history repeats itself. Just as your historical hero did before you; into exile you go.

At least you tried matey boy. In the meantime; I'm off to start the first Opium War. Maybe I'll see you at the next one eh? ;)

55dhh4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Johnny Apocalypse said:

Johnny, you do know the army Wellington commanded had more Dutch, Belgians, and Germans in it than the British? Truly, if Waterloo was anyone's victory, it was that of the Germans. Hence my quote about "Give me night, or give me Blucher,"--Napoleon in essence fought two battles that day, one at Waterloo against the Anglo-Dutch-German Army commanded by the Duke of Wellington and that of the Prussians at Plancenoit. Wellington desperately tried to minimize the role played by the Prussians under Blucher after the battle--as evidence by the woefully underrepresentation of the Prussian sacrifice in the brutal fighting of the tiny Walloon village, as well as those of the Hanoverians, Nassauers, Belgians, and Netherlanders in the battle.

My issue with the Prussians is simply that Germanophilia is a breeding ground for some of the worst mythology of recent history--which is often linked to the alt-right and neo-fascism.  Plus, in HF i'd much rather play as the Russians than them, as the Russians did much of the heavier lifting of the Napoleonic Wars, especially in the 1805, 1807, 1808, 1812, and 1813-14 campaigns, where as after 1806 Prussia was almost a non-entity in the wars until the Russian triumph of the 1812-1813 campaign made it safe enough for them to try and oppose French dominance. The only people I feel get a shorter stick in the history of Napoleonic Wars are the Austrians--who perhaps fittingly are not even represented in the game.

I find it amusing that once again, you fail to keep your mouth shut, when everyone including your bosses are trying to keep this as civil as possible.

To clarify, Napoleon is not a 'hero' of mine. I admire his military and civil achievements greatly, but he was too flawed a man to be truly called a hero. As a historian put it--he is a "Great Bad Man." I definitely think he gets the short stick historically, which is why I enjoy being the contrarian to the "Rah Rah Rule Britannia Crowd"--perhaps ask the Dutch and Danish if felt liberated when the British seized their colonies and burned their fleets while they were occupied/defending against a potential French invasion.

I much prefer Ulysses Grant and George Thomas--rough, humble men (as opposed to Napoleon or the Duke of Wellington) who did their duty to their country without all the fuss and pomp of European frivolity. Or, non-militarily, Abraham Lincoln, undoubtedly the president I respect the most considering the momentous task he faced and the constraints of the country he led.

Lastly--the irony of you telling me I'm in exile like Napoleon? If anyone fits that comparison it is you--your own ego forced you to abdicate and for perhaps the third time in the last two months you've told us you were going to retire and leave CN for good. I tried talking you out of it before--I even told Draggie to tell you to lay off the drama, but if one were to make an exile comparison, I think that would be it.

Now please, go away before I forget myself.

8 minutes ago, Tankobite said:

I find it amusing that once again, you fail to keep your mouth shut, when everyone including your bosses are trying to keep this as civil as possible.

Now please, go away before I forget myself.

Hey I was just playing along with the fun little yarn you guys are spinning against the British which is clearly a thinly-veiled attack on me(and a few others). Clearly I touched a nerve thinking this was all fun and games, my bad I guess?

Cheerio Tanko.

Edited by Johnny Apocalypse

35 minutes ago, Johnny Apocalypse said:

Hey I was just playing along with the fun little yarn you guys are spinning against the British which is clearly a thinly-veiled attack on me(and a few others). Clearly I touched a nerve thinking this was all fun and games, my bad I guess?

Cheerio Tanko.

Oh Johnny, you can't play that game on me. I know you too well.

But if you want to convince yourself you've got everyone fooled, be my guest. I've already seen how fast the gears work to rationalize what's been done to have faith that there's self-awareness behind the post.

44 minutes ago, Johnny Apocalypse said:

which is clearly a thinly-veiled attack on me(and a few others). 

Or....it is because this treaty was talked about while playing Holdfast together and we chose France all night because the French have the chasing the onion song. Dude, I'm sorry but I  really wasn't thinking about you at all when I wrote this, I was just thinking about my friends and how to celebrate them. Sorry dude.

2 hours ago, Lyanna Mormont said:

Or....it is because this treaty was talked about while playing Holdfast together and we chose France all night because the French have the chasing the onion song. Dude, I'm sorry but I  really wasn't thinking about you at all when I wrote this, I was just thinking about my friends and how to celebrate them. Sorry dude.

It's cool don't sweat it Ly. It's just how it wound up coming across along with other comments, I'm not offended by it and was genuinely playing along with it to lighten the mood a little.

We're all good :there isn't an emote to convey my sentiments on here, but it'd be a bitter-sweet and sad kinda smile I suppose:

With all this nonsense aside? I sincerely wish you all the best, you were my closest friends who welcomed me back to the world in 2019 and I will not forget the fun we all shared. It is deeply regrettable that my actions have led to such a rift between us. For that I am truly sorry, I expect no forgiveness or redemption- I am just sorry to all of Bear Island, I let you down and instead let my erratic delusions get the better of me. There is nothing I can do to make that right, only to say goodbye (which as you can tell? I've not been very good at sticking to it because deep down I do not want to lose you as friends)

o/ Bear Island

I thought I replied to this thread, but I guess not!

Congrats to TIE and NG, may this be a new era of rum drinking!  Or something.

Does anybody have any rum?  I could use some after reading this thread.

4 hours ago, Tankobite said:

I much prefer Ulysses Grant and George Thomas--rough, humble men (as opposed to Napoleon or the Duke of Wellington) who did their duty to their country without all the fuss and pomp of European frivolity. Or, non-militarily, Abraham Lincoln, undoubtedly the president I respect the most considering the momentous task he faced and the constraints of the country he led.

I love that more people than just me love Ulysses Grant and George Thomas. I have read Ron Chernow's biography on Grant, as well as American Ulysses by Ron White. He was a flawed man, that failed at most of the things that he did. He was however, one of, if not, the best General that the United States has ever had. 

As much as I love learning about Abraham Lincoln, I certainly admire him, I think that Grant was a better President. 

Edited by Smitty256

1 minute ago, Smitty256 said:

I love that more people than just me love Ulysses Grant and George Thomas. I have read Ron Chernow's biography on Grant, as well as American Ulysses by Ron White. He was a flawed man, that failed at most of the things that he did. He was however, one of, if not, the best General that the United States has ever had. 

As much as I love learning about Abraham Lincoln, I certainly admire him, I think that Grant was a better President. 

I am including the famous WW2 generals in that as well. They learned everything they knew from studying men like Grant, Thomas, Sherman, and Sheridan.

40 minutes ago, Jason8 said:

I got a couple of beers

1 minute ago, KameraadLenin said:

I got a couple of beers

Already drinking them, need stronger.  Thinking about the whiskey I've got, but rum is the more seaworthy drink of seamen.

4 hours ago, Jason8 said:

I have a place off the coast, it's wonderful, spanish go by constantly, the Brits don't care too much, solid business options, savvy?

19 hours ago, Kapleo said:

Your words only speak of how deeply poisoned your mind is right now. I have no words for you, others have clearly given you enough of those. Interpret my silence and let your mind be the judge of what it means. 

Good grief. Question: Do you ever get paranoid about your own paranoia? Is this an example of one of those self-reinforcing feedback loops? 

Edited by Britishdude