Dories and Lances Treaty

14 hours ago, Canik said:

I've been here since early '06, paying *some* attention to treaties most of the time since. From my limited perspective and possibly flawed memory I would say; yes, they became a bit more common over time.

I believe a few existed even very, very early but as CN grew and hit 40k+ nations and like a hundred active/new alliances. I think some alliances may have started using ODPs more as a starting point for alliances they did not know very well but had potential. Some who were not with the hegemony might have used them for more flexibility. Some alliances cared a lot about independence and may have favored them for that reason. Non-chaining also became more common as time went on, for some of the same reasons.

Some alliances may have continued to only sign stronger or no treaties at all. I am not sure NPO ever signed many, when they were the strongest, there was little need for caution. For them and some others I believe they stuck more to all or nothing. I remember for a long time ODPs were often meet with much ridicule and disdain from certain groups. Some may still look down on them but I feel like not so much these days compared to days of old.

If I recall correctly, in Doom War there were several ODP activations around FTW and maybe some other alliances. I think at one point I joked it could be called the ODP War.

Also at one point I think NSO, under Ivan Moldavi, made a policy that they considered themselves to have an ODP with everyone? Not sure anything ever came of this, I always kind of liked the idea though - it could allow you to fight for anyone whose cause you felt just.

Now days, I believe IRON has an ODP or two. Polar has a couple. FTW has a few. CLAWS, I think has had one or two.. a good number of the mid-sized alliances have some I think. Yeah, I think I might be right that they have become more common.

[/end only semi-coherent opinionated drunken ramble with a lot of qualifiers] 😆

Thanks for the background. I mainly remember just the old MDPs and NAPs as what I worked with when I had a foreign ministry position.

I guess I'd forgotten you've been around so long. Who did you run with in the old days again?

2 hours ago, Tankobite said:

Thanks for the background. I mainly remember just the old MDPs and NAPs as what I worked with when I had a foreign ministry position.

I guess I'd forgotten you've been around so long. Who did you run with in the old days again?

Remember PIATs?

4 hours ago, Tankobite said:

You were FA back then? Who were you with?

My first alliance was the International Communist Party, joined sometime mid '06, fought in Maroon War and GWII with them.
Somehow I became diplomat to ODS (Order of Defensive Security). Got a treaty with them, I want to say it was actually an ODP but I am not sure and can't find any surviving records proving it. I remember it was a big question if they would support us in Maroon War/GWII though, for whatever reason, I don't think they were obligated but they joined anyway! They were amazing, very nice and helpful, some guy by the name of Turetel sent me 300k aid which funded my war effort through the entire 2nd half of the war! (a whole week!)

After GWII they had dramas and disbanded and split into 3 alliances. Having grown close with them and after all the help they'd given us this saddened me greatly. I couldn't let them split up! And thus.. the beginning of all my merger madness began, getting them to merge back together and creating FEAR in February of '07. I remained with FEAR from that point on. Ah those were the days. :)

10 hours ago, Canik said:

I am *very* sure PIATS have been less common and I don't think anyone regrets that. wtf were we thinking xD

Well, back then they did serve a bit of a purpose, however small that might have been. In today's age a PIAT is pointless, since we all kind of have a PIAT with each other, at least aid-wise.

17 hours ago, Canik said:

You were FA back then? Who were you with?

My first alliance was the International Communist Party, joined sometime mid '06, fought in Maroon War and GWII with them.
Somehow I became diplomat to ODS (Order of Defensive Security). Got a treaty with them, I want to say it was actually an ODP but I am not sure and can't find any surviving records proving it. I remember it was a big question if they would support us in Maroon War/GWII though, for whatever reason, I don't think they were obligated but they joined anyway! They were amazing, very nice and helpful, some guy by the name of Turetel sent me 300k aid which funded my war effort through the entire 2nd half of the war! (a whole week!)

After GWII they had dramas and disbanded and split into 3 alliances. Having grown close with them and after all the help they'd given us this saddened me greatly. I couldn't let them split up! And thus.. the beginning of all my merger madness began, getting them to merge back together and creating FEAR in February of '07. I remained with FEAR from that point on. Ah those were the days. :)

I was MoFA with GATO a couple of times and then was essentially deputy MoFA  till the coup (april-oct '06). Don't recall any major treaties I penned or anything special. A lot of what I did was putting out drama fires that were going out b/c Grenval and some of the other ministers enjoyed tweaking NPO's nose. 

4 hours ago, Tankobite said:

I was MoFA with GATO a couple of times and then was essentially deputy MoFA  till the coup (april-oct '06). Don't recall any major treaties I penned or anything special. A lot of what I did was putting out drama fires that were going out b/c Grenval and some of the other ministers enjoyed tweaking NPO's nose. 

How long were you in GATO?

Turetel and Grenval. Next time someone will mention Umbrae or Dark Mistress, or someone like that.

Blanket NAPs were the way to go IMHO, no irony intended. Had going solos been more popular we'd have had much more interesting action in these last twelve+ years.

20 hours ago, jerdge said:

Blanket NAPs were the way to go IMHO, no irony intended. Had going solos been more popular we'd have had much more interesting action in these last twelve+ years.

The neutral menace, out to destroy the treaty web! :P