Dories and Lances Treaty

uAd9u8B.jpg

Based on mutual admiration and rooted in a common desire to shape a more just world, the Knights of the Round Table and Sparta hereby sign this,

DORIES AND LANCES TREATY

Article I
The Knights of the Round Table and Sparta (hereafter: the Signatories) are sovereign alliances in accordance with their respective Charters, Constitutions, and/or other acts, which are not preempted by this treaty.

Article II
Communications and discussions between the Signatories shall remain confidential during the duration and after termination of this Treaty, unless otherwise agreed upon by both Signatories.

Article III
The Signatories will resolve all disputes amicably and privately, in good faith. This also extends to matters relating to Signatories’ protectorates and other allies.

Article IV
The Signatories shall coordinate all relevant activities, including diplomatic, economic, and military activities, as deemed necessary for the advancement of common goals and common ideas.

Article V
The Signatories will inform the others of any relevant intelligence collected or otherwise obtained, especially that pertaining to the other Signatory’s affairs.

Article VI
Each Signatory may request of the other assistance in defensive conflicts, to which the other is not obliged to respond as requested.

Article VII
Each Signatory shall undertake all reasonable measures to avoid waging war against treaty partners of the other Signatory. If not possible, the Signatories will inform each other before any action occurs and will refrain from engaging in military acts against the other.

Article VIII
This Treaty may be amended with the consent of both Signatories, in accordance with their internal regulations and processes.

Article IX
Either Signatory may withdraw from this treaty with 72 hours notice, provided in private. Following this, a formal public announcement shall be made.

Signed for Sparta
Whitetigger, King of Sparta
Tim, King of Sparta

Signed: 27th September 2020

Signed for the Knights of the Round Table
Knights of the Grail, Knight-King

Dirk Struan, Knight-Senator

Mordred, Knight-Heir

Ratified: 29th September, 2020

18 hours ago, Knights of the Grail said:

uAd9u8B.jpg

Based on mutual admiration and rooted in a common desire to shape a more just world, the Knights of the Round Table and Sparta hereby sign this,

DORIES AND LANCES TREATY

Article I
The Knights of the Round Table and Sparta (hereafter: the Signatories) are sovereign alliances in accordance with their respective Charters, Constitutions, and/or other acts, which are not preempted by this treaty.

Article II
Communications and discussions between the Signatories shall remain confidential during the duration and after termination of this Treaty, unless otherwise agreed upon by both Signatories.

Article III
The Signatories will resolve all disputes amicably and privately, in good faith. This also extends to matters relating to Signatories’ protectorates and other allies.

Article IV
The Signatories shall coordinate all relevant activities, including diplomatic, economic, and military activities, as deemed necessary for the advancement of common goals and common ideas.

Article V
The Signatories will inform the others of any relevant intelligence collected or otherwise obtained, especially that pertaining to the other Signatory’s affairs.

Article VI
Each Signatory may request of the other assistance in defensive conflicts, to which the other is not obliged to respond as requested.

Article VII
Each Signatory shall undertake all reasonable measures to avoid waging war against treaty partners of the other Signatory. If not possible, the Signatories will inform each other before any action occurs and will refrain from engaging in military acts against the other.

Article VIII
This Treaty may be amended with the consent of both Signatories, in accordance with their internal regulations and processes.

Article IX
Either Signatory may withdraw from this treaty with 72 hours notice, provided in private. Following this, a formal public announcement shall be made.

Signed for Sparta
Whitetigger, King of Sparta
Tim, King of Sparta

Signed: 27th September 2020

Signed for the Knights of the Round Table
Knights of the Grail, Knight-King

Dirk Struan, Knight-Senator

Mordred, Knight-Heir

Ratified: 29th September, 2020

What type of treaty is this? ODoAP? MDoAP?

On 10/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, Smitty256 said:

What a stupid question. The text for all Spartan treaties have plainly stated for years that defense is optional. They're really on top of things over at Sparta, and want it to be clear from the onset that you're going to be disappointed with any alliance with them before ever having to activate it.

Edited by Rebel Virginia

2 hours ago, Smitty256 said:

Serious answer: Article VI describes optional defense, and KoRT has never signed aggression clauses before (I don't see one here), so I'm pretty sure it's an ODP.

28 minutes ago, lilweirdward said:

Serious answer: Article VI describes optional defense, and KoRT has never signed aggression clauses before (I don't see one here), so I'm pretty sure it's an ODP.

Very helpful, but not necessary. I already made it clear that is was an optional defense treaty. I was also completely serious in my answer that Sparta writes their treaties to give them room to weasel out of their commitments before the going gets rough.

3 hours ago, Rebel Virginia said:

Very helpful, but not necessary. I already made it clear that is was an optional defense treaty. I was also completely serious in my answer that Sparta writes their treaties to give them room to weasel out of their commitments before the going gets rough.

Thanks for the analysis. So truly appreciated. You're opinions mean the world to me. :)

23 hours ago, lilweirdward said:

To be honest, I didn't actually read the treaty, but an optional defense? Is this something that's become more common since my hey-day of '06-07?

2 hours ago, Tankobite said:

To be honest, I didn't actually read the treaty, but an optional defense? Is this something that's become more common since my hey-day of '06-07?

Defense has always been optional for Sparta. All that has changed is that they've become more open about saying as much.

12 hours ago, Tankobite said:

I've been here since early '06, paying *some* attention to treaties most of the time since. From my limited perspective and possibly flawed memory I would say; yes, they became a bit more common over time.

I believe a few existed even very, very early but as CN grew and hit 40k+ nations and like a hundred active/new alliances. I think some alliances may have started using ODPs more as a starting point for alliances they did not know very well but had potential. Some who were not with the hegemony might have used them for more flexibility. Some alliances cared a lot about independence and may have favored them for that reason. Non-chaining also became more common as time went on, for some of the same reasons.

Some alliances may have continued to only sign stronger or no treaties at all. I am not sure NPO ever signed many, when they were the strongest, there was little need for caution. For them and some others I believe they stuck more to all or nothing. I remember for a long time ODPs were often meet with much ridicule and disdain from certain groups. Some may still look down on them but I feel like not so much these days compared to days of old.

If I recall correctly, in Doom War there were several ODP activations around FTW and maybe some other alliances. I think at one point I joked it could be called the ODP War.

Also at one point I think NSO, under Ivan Moldavi, made a policy that they considered themselves to have an ODP with everyone? Not sure anything ever came of this, I always kind of liked the idea though - it could allow you to fight for anyone whose cause you felt just.

Now days, I believe IRON has an ODP or two. Polar has a couple. FTW has a few. CLAWS, I think has had one or two.. a good number of the mid-sized alliances have some I think. Yeah, I think I might be right that they have become more common.

[/end only semi-coherent opinionated drunken ramble with a lot of qualifiers] 😆

On 10/1/2020 at 2:44 PM, Smitty256 said:

Thanks for the analysis. So truly appreciated. You're opinions mean the world to me. :)

Thank you. It's only natural for people like yourself to turn to your betters to tell you what to think.

Edited by Rebel Virginia

5 hours ago, Rebel Virginia said:

Thank you. It's only natural for people like yourself to turn to your betters to tell you what to think.

I just, I just dont know what I'd do without someone like you to tell me what to think. 

Edited by Smitty256