The Day Today - A Murder of Doombirds

46 minutes ago, Thrash said:

If only that would have been nipped in the bud back then we might still have a thriving community.

Damn these pesky kids driving users away from this continually developed and well maintained game!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, LJ Scott said:

If only that [cheating] would have been nipped in the bud back then we might still have a thriving community.

Damn these pesky kids driving users away from this continually developed and well maintained game!

It's so much obvious that cheating made it that much worse that, if I bothered, I'd be startled that you replied at all.

16 hours ago, jerdge said:

It's so much obvious that cheating made it that much worse that, if I bothered, I'd be startled that you replied at all.

Surprisingly I'm as outraged as you that certain nations and/or alliances seem to find "people" who willingingly log in regularly year after year for the sole purpose of sending out free tech.

Carnivore will show my tech was bought and paid for from alliances across Bob. I've had to put up with the crap of dealing with hundreds of different nations as people quit, slots are poached or people simply renege on deals. That to the back drop of tech prices surging to the now standard 9/100.

Moderation obviously at one stage sought to address the issue - poorly from my perspective. The other problem was that despite glaring evidence only one side of the house was penalised. The other continues to rely on individuals who are really active in-game but have never ventured onto discord or had any activity on a forum in years if alone any 

On 7/25/2020 at 5:00 PM, LJ Scott said:

Surprisingly I'm as outraged as you that certain nations and/or alliances seem to find "people" who willingingly log in regularly year after year for the sole purpose of sending out free tech.

Carnivore will show my tech was bought and paid for from alliances across Bob. I've had to put up with the crap of dealing with hundreds of different nations as people quit, slots are poached or people simply renege on deals. That to the back drop of tech prices surging to the now standard 9/100.

Moderation obviously at one stage sought to address the issue - poorly from my perspective. The other problem was that despite glaring evidence only one side of the house was penalised. The other continues to rely on individuals who are really active in-game but have never ventured onto discord or had any activity on a forum in years if alone any 

Well I'm not that much outraged, as I stopped really caring about the game more than ten years ago.

I'm still (more or less) buying tech just for the small interactions it entails, but I understand your tale of having to deal with many sellers. My point was that, worse than the poor maintenance and development, was looking the other way when cheaters seemed to be bringing money for the game developer. (The game is for free, I say "worse" as in "the game got objectively worse", I'm not complaining and mine is not a moral criticism.)

One side of the house was very mildly penalized, another one was blatantly ignored, the rest of the game - which was mostly clean - got tired of it.

More than have complaints for the mods, I am honestly amazed by these people - once the DBDC leaders, now the NPO's - which continue to illegally masturbate their pixels for no real gain  in a dead game - a game they heavily contributed to kill - and which occasionally even come out of their holes to brag about it! They genuinely think that some non-braindead one can be in awe at them, it's amazing!

Not to mention their allies (let's call them that way) which continue to provide their support, even when they perfectly know what's been going on and - some of them at least - even if they're openly unhappy about it.

It's stupidity all around, it's a wonder how bad it is and with no redeeming aspect whatsoever... It's not even a funny kind of stupidity.

54 minutes ago, jerdge said:

Well I'm not that much outraged, as I stopped really caring about the game more than ten years ago.

I'm still (more or less) buying tech just for the small interactions it entails, but I understand your tale of having to deal with many sellers. My point was that, worse than the poor maintenance and development, was looking the other way when cheaters seemed to be bringing money for the game developer. (The game is for free, I say "worse" as in "the game got objectively worse", I'm not complaining and mine is not a moral criticism.)

One side of the house was very mildly penalized, another one was blatantly ignored, the rest of the game - which was mostly clean - got tired of it.

More than have complaints for the mods, I am honestly amazed by these people - once the DBDC leaders, now the NPO's - which continue to illegally masturbate their pixels for no real gain  in a dead game - a game they heavily contributed to kill - and which occasionally even come out of their holes to brag about it! They genuinely think that some non-braindead one can be in awe at them, it's amazing!

Not to mention their allies (let's call them that way) which continue to provide their support, even when they perfectly know what's been going on and - some of them at least - even if they're openly unhappy about it.

It's stupidity all around, it's a wonder how bad it is and with no redeeming aspect whatsoever... It's not even a funny kind of stupidity.

Why do you think some people stop being allies with that kind of alliance...

Others don't because they want an easy life.

Welcome to Bob 

On 7/25/2020 at 4:00 PM, LJ Scott said:

One of those people was once our leader and who I noticed is now a Pacifican tech slave nation.

Also hi LJ

Odd that I warned about this sort of thing years ago and the same folks who mocked me then, take up the banner now. Complete with using my term "tech slave nation!"

EDIT: RIA has no sympathy with me after harboring Mogar after his opportunistic raids on ISX/SNX. You can't pretend to be victims after enabling the same behavior.

EDIT #2: LMAO Mogar is in NG now!!

EDIT #3: NPO flying the war flag with a single new nation rogue. Wow this world really is dead.

Edited by The Zigur

16 hours ago, Stewie said:

Why do you think some people stop being allies with that kind of alliance...

Historically, people stop being allies with "that kind of alliance" because, along with being in-game cheats, they are RL snakes who ultimately turn on their erstwhile friends.

(And yes, this is me kind of saying 'I told you [NG] so.....years ago'.)

Twenty-five years ago I ran a NUTS talker. (If you know what that is, kudos. You're old.) What I learned from being admin there was that people, whatever their online persona, eventually turn into themselves. The dickstain pretending to be a nice guy eventually reveals himself to be a complete dickstain. The unbearably nice person who wants to be seen as tough and mean can't help being unbearably nice.

Some of this game's most heralded players were (and are) incredibly !@#$%* people. Actual, RL frauds who cheated both here and in their offline lives.

Now they (or at least the ones who haven't died, whether literally or figuratively) and their pals stand atop their pile of lies and declare themselves the winners of something they've actively worked to destroy.

(Think of the Warner Bros. cartoon where Daffy tells Marvin, "This planet ain't big enough for the two of us. So....off you go!" And then he pushes him off the tiny rock that used to be a planet. That is the current state of CN.)

The only logical conclusion to be reached is that these people must be the only ones left who are financially supporting the game. They get away with it because the business model means that 'the winners' are the sole source of steady revenue.

(Think of what happened in another online game when its admin tried to deal with rampant cheating.)

And so the game is irrelevant. What matters is the income relative to expenses. As long as the same group continues to pay, nation count doesn't matter. In fact, a lower nation count means less bandwidth and other associated costs and, therefore, greater profit at the margins.

It's actually not a bad business model, I guess. Enable cheaters, take their money, and ignore everything else. Finally, the only ones left are the cheaters, their sycophants, and those who are unaware.

The only funny part in this is that, as Jerdge pointed out, every now and then the frauds pop out of their holes to commend themselves on being winners, unaware that they're being used themselves.

Big wheel keeps on turnin'....

15 hours ago, The Zigur said:

Odd that I warned about this sort of thing years ago and the same folks who mocked me then, take up the banner now. Complete with using my term "tech slave nation!"

EDIT: RIA has no sympathy with me after harboring Mogar after his opportunistic raids on ISX/SNX. You can't pretend to be victims after enabling the same behavior.

EDIT #2: LMAO Mogar is in NG now!!

EDIT #3: NPO flying the war flag with a single new nation rogue. Wow this world really is dead.

DBDC has caused most damage than RIA ever has, but it's okay since the NAP has been broken yet again. Here is hoping for a lasting peace that isn't ever going to happen.

Non Grata and I have been close for some time, independence and lengthy discussion made me realize our goals our mutually aligned.

!@#$ it's like NPO have always been trash and you sucked them off for half your existing.

5 hours ago, General Kanabis said:

20200523-065334.gif

There are only a handful of entities who have the structure to directly challenge the status quo.

And they all say the same thing...

20200727-200605.png

As an outside observer I have the impression that you and your friends are free an subject to no status quo.

The sclerotized structure you talk of is beyond repair, there's no return from death. But you can just ignore them, they have no power on you.

On the other hand you may be uncomfortable with that glass ceiling and with the neverending aid raining on your adversaries from above. In that case I recommend moving to another universe. Unless you want to convince people, that's always been possible and it takes ideas, not Nation Strength.

21 hours ago, jerdge said:

As an outside observer

KxFe.gif

21 hours ago, jerdge said:

convince people, that's always been possible and it takes ideas, not Nation Strength.

33.jpg

Some ideas lack a formidable support base...

Some formidable support bases lack ideas....

I guess we'll have to look into recycling.

Edited by General Kanabis

14 hours ago, General Kanabis said:

As an outside observer

KxFe.gif

I love the novel(s) and the movies aren't that bad.

No, I am not part of this world.

I occasionally post on this board and I buy tech (not very efficiently) just to have an excuse to chat with people from time to time, but the real reason I didn't let my nation go inactive (again) for is as a form of courtesy to my trade partners.

Simply keeping my nation around requires extremely little effort and, more importantly, almost no time. I have no time for games in general, either on or off line, and I'd never "waste" any of it in actually playing CN (anymore). Even in case my alliance was directly attacked, the most I'd do would be to have my nation be sat by someone that was willing to use it to actually fight (I might lob some nuke while I find a sitter, but don't hold your breath).

Years ago (many of them) it might have been different. Now I am an outside observer.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:03 AM, The Zigur said:

Superb of you to notice that we're still flying Imperial Crimson.

Expected of you to not notice it has been flown for three years straight. Then again, you can barely fight for two rds before going into permanent PM.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:46 PM, Stewie said:

My sanctions were at request of RIA.

But yes.  This Murder of Doombirds are not the same as when they first formed.

Not the same without Cuba, Artigo and Oyababy

:smug: You rang?

16 hours ago, Stewie said:

Hey oya. How are you?

You know, same old same old. Popping up wondering if I should hit the "login" button and recover my nation. Apparently, I missed all the fun around here.

12 hours ago, Johnny Apocalypse said:

And more importantly how are the dolphins?

Wouldn't you like to know? :smug:

On 7/27/2020 at 9:31 AM, kingzog said:

What I learned from being admin there was that people, whatever their online persona, eventually turn into themselves.

There's a reason I don't post much on here: for me, eventually is very short to the point I don't bother pretending to be anyone other than who I am. And being someone who is overly trusting and who bends over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt when they clearly don't deserve it can be detrimental here.

9 hours ago, o ya baby said:

You know, same old same old. Popping up wondering if I should hit the "login" button and recover my nation. Apparently, I missed all the fun around here.

Wouldn't you like to know? :smug:

Login then click delete!