March of the Polars

Alexio15

1 hour ago, Knights of the Grail said:

Bowenland (KoRT) vs Mayoabu (NpO)

Land/Tech/Infra: 35,740.67 Strength Lost vs 28,145.52 Strength Lost

Destruction Rank: This war was more destructive than 894 of 894 existing wars.

Orangewall (KoRT) vs Eleytheria (NpO)

Land/Tech/Infra: 21,227.58 Strength Lost vs 40,640.63 Strength Lost

Destruction Rank: This war was more destructive than 893 of 894 existing wars.

The bogs and moorlands of Britannia and Caledonia are never safe for invaders.

Nice. First rounds are always very destructive, then it's all downhill from there.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, AlmightyGrub said:

It is amusing to watch people scramble for reason in an unreasonable world.  Thanks for playing but no prize for you.

The USA scramble for reason after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Polish  people did the same after Germany attack them in WW2.

I use war history as a example in this time of war. Your correct "people scramble for reason in an unreasonable world" we may call this human nature.

As you know war have no prize, life is lost on both sides. Both side look for  "... reason in an unreasonable world" and ask why did so many die.

Thank you for playing as well. A civil reply is always welcome even if we disagree a bit. :)

BTW people asking why is what keeps Scientist employed looking for reason. 

Edited by anobubby

2 hours ago, anobubby said:

The USA scramble for reason after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Polish  people did the same after Germany attack them in WW2.

I use war history as a example in this time of war. Your correct "people scramble for reason in an unreasonable world" we may call this human nature.

As you know war have no prize, life is lost on both sides. Both side look for  "... reason in an unreasonable world" and ask why did so many die.

Thank you for playing as well. A civil reply is always welcome even if we disagree a bit. :)

There is a prize in this war. It’s called casualties. 

1 hour ago, Terminator said:

There is a prize in this war. It’s called casualties. 

Very interesting... So if someone attack you or your alliance they are offering you a prize?. Appears that I have it all wrong again, I need to thank my attackers for the kind gift. I guess when giving the opportunity I should return the favor  :)

I have a question however.. If a new alliance enter the war with the excuse surprise or please accept this gift,  you would be happy to accept this kind offer on behalf  of your alliance?.  Do to the fact they offer a prize/gifts all  nonaggression treaty would no longer apply as this is a gift offer and not a aggressive act . 

Sorry about my confusion, I have difficulties seeing the strategy/logic of this.  I thank you for sharing your views, ideas and strategies and for helping me understand them.

Edited by anobubby

1 hour ago, Thrash said:

:facepalm:

That's rich coming from you. How long did you commit to this current war?

Until someone in Polar tells me to leave like they did in NG, then til someone offers white peace. I don't have to worry about anyone in Polar going to report alliances for BS reasons, as no one there is as cowardly as they are in NG

38 minutes ago, anobubby said:

Very interesting... So if someone attack you or your alliance they are offering you a prize?. Appears that I have it all wrong again, I need to thank my attackers for the kind gift. I guess when giving the opportunity I should return the favor  :)

I have a question however.. If a new alliance enter the war with the excuse surprise or please accept this gift,  you would be happy to accept this kind offer on behalf  of your alliance?.  Do to the fact they offer a prize/gifts all  nonaggression treaty would no longer apply as this is a gift offer and not a aggressive act . 

Sorry about my confusion, I have difficulties seeing the strategy/logic of this.  I thank you for sharing your views, ideas and strategies and for helping me understand them.

I fail to understand your english here so I am not exactly for sure what you are asking.

51 minutes ago, anobubby said:

Comrade you seem confused or even bewildered.  War is part of the cycle of life on Bob.  If you don't like war, too bad really, you are either at war or getting ready for the next war.  If you are attacked, defend yourself, using both your military might and by assembling your political allies to assist you.  There doesn't seem to be any reason not to fight wars, in fact there is no point at all without war.  What is the point of working so hard to sign treaties and develop mutual defense strategies if you have no need of them?

As for prizes, I consider casualties to be a measure of commitment.  If you have zero casualties, you have not defended your alliance, you have not aggressively pushed back against the will of others.  There is no point in these SIM CITY existences, none at all.  So yes, I consider our delivery of war to your shores to be a gift to you, a chance for you to show your commitment to your alliance and for there to be a persistent reminder of this.  I also happily collect t-shirts of the alliances I have defeated or destroyed.  I find that wearing them around promotes the kind of resentment that fuels future wars without me having to put in all the effort.

If you don't understand the reasons for this war yet, then you obviously have more research to do.  Usually I make it very easy to define why we are doing things, this time you could say that the plan is far more convoluted, maybe it will become clearer, maybe it wont.  Speculation about the logic of a mad man is usually just a mental exercise dragging you closer to his madness.  Enjoy the ride Comrade, win or lose at least you had to do something for a while before going back to your pathetic existence.

622,356 Nations Simulated To Date  

Cyber Nations is a free browser-based nation simulation game. Create a nation and decide how you will rule your people by choosing a government type, a national religion, tax rate and more. Build your nation according to your choosing by purchasing infrastructure to support your citizens, land to expand your borders, technology to increase your effectiveness, and military to defend your national interests.

Develop improvements for your nation such as harbors to enhance your ability to trade with other nations, build clinics and hospitals to increase your total population, and invest in schools and universities to increase your people's literacy rate. Finance national wonders like great temples and monuments or expand beyond the confines of this world by building colonies on the Moon and Mars. Trade with other players, build formidable alliances, wage wars against your enemies, assist others with foreign aid, spy on suspected rogue nations. It's all up to you. How will you rule your nation?

There is no point in these SIM CITY existences, none at all. 

Except...

"Create a nation and decide how you will rule your people..."  The nation leader choice.

"Develop improvements for your nation such as harbors to enhance your ability to trade with other nations..." Your choice

"wage wars against your enemies, assist others with foreign aid, spy on suspected rogue nations. It's all up to you..." Again "It's all up to you"  

"How will you rule your nation?"

Sim city , neutral or  warmonger... Its your call so no one can say you must play this way because I do .... All are playing the way they want to.

Appears the game creators don't agree with you  on this.... Sounds like if you want you may build "sim city" and live in peace or war you can. If you want war you may go to war, however you should attack other war like nations. Attacking nations that do not want war causes them to play the game your way.  If they no longer like the game because their playing your way not theirs  they drop out. 

Sim city nations pose no threat to  warmongers, let them play their way.  Other wise you may appear to be a bully.

Sorry if I disagree with you... You have the right to disagree with me as well.

Edited by anobubby

On 4/11/2020 at 7:04 PM, anobubby said:

I have to disagree on this, scientists want to know how, not why stuff happens.

4 hours ago, anobubby said:
622,356 Nations Simulated To Date  

Sim city , neutral or  warmonger... Its your call so no one can say you must play this way because I do .... All are playing the way they want to.

Listen, I've told the same thing to Grub more times than I can count and he never ever showed that he had gotten it. However he's a very intelligent individual, he knows it already, he just pretends otherwise because that's the attitude he wants to display.

By any means continue to argue with him, by the way. I wish you to enjoy it as much as I do. (He too likes it, which incidentally negates his claim that war would be the only thing that gives meaning in/to this realm.)

On 4/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, jerdge said:

I have to disagree on this, scientists want to know how, not why stuff happens.

Listen, I've told the same thing to Grub more times than I can count and he never ever showed that he had gotten it. However he's a very intelligent individual, he knows it already, he just pretends otherwise because that's the attitude he wants to display.

By any means continue to argue with him, by the way. I wish you to enjoy it as much as I do. (He too likes it, which incidentally negates his claim that war would be the only thing that gives meaning in/to this realm.)

Poor Jerdge, still holding onto the fantasy that buying infra and tech means anything without the will to use it (for good or evil).  I understand those that prefer to be isolationist and rely entirely on the goodwill of others to respect their boundaries.  If GPA was remotely worth the effort I would have crippled your growth and driven your members away over a protracted period of time not unlike what happened with NADC.  You however posed no threat to me, I could not care less about raw NS grouped in one place.  You also failed to offend me consistently over the years, playing your role almost to perfection to the point I genuinely feel sorry for you/respect your position sufficiently.... for now.  However mere existence is not enough within this realm. 

Playing SIM CITY is pointless, I can destroy your city (and mine) in no time, wiping years of effort away almost instantly.  Politics is the only point to being here, war is just a type of politics, the fact you don't like it is not now, nor has ever been, relevant to the machine. Just as I can not dictate what you do, you can not dictate how I choose to live my life.  The fact that our worlds intersect violently may not be your choice, hence you have no choice to play SIM CITY without consequence.

Edited by AlmightyGrub

1 hour ago, AlmightyGrub said:

Poor Jerdge, still holding onto the fantasy that buying infra and tech means anything without the will to use it (for good or evil).  I understand those that prefer to be isolationist and rely entirely on the goodwill of others to respect their boundaries.  If GPA was remotely worth the effort I would have crippled your growth and driven your members away over a protracted period of time not unlike what happened with NADC.  You however posed no threat to me, I could not care less about raw NS grouped in one place.  You also failed to offend me consistently over the years, playing your role almost to perfection to the point I genuinely feel sorry for you/respect your position sufficiently.... for now.  However mere existence is not enough within this realm. 

Playing SIM CITY is pointless, I can destroy your city (and mine) in no time, wiping years of effort away almost instantly.  Politics is the only point to being here, war is just a type of politics, the fact you don't like it is not now, nor has ever been, relevant to the machine. Just as I can not dictate what you do, you can not dictate how I choose to live my life.  The fact that our worlds intersect violently may not be your choice, hence you have no choice to play SIM CITY without consequence.

At this point, I refuse to believe that anyone is still here in this hellhole of a world we call Bob just for the sake of existence. Instead, I think you've missed (deliberately or otherwise) the primary mechanic driving all of this: the community. Everyone I know who still logs in every 25 days just to keep their nation alive isn't doing it because they're waiting for that one perfect war to end it all, or because this is some perfect simulation of being the ruler of a nation, but because they have a strong sentimental attachment to the friends they've made and the fun they've had in this insane community that they're not ready to let it come to an end. The reason certain alliances don't attack others isn't because there's some game mechanic preventing them from breaking a treaty, but because people have friends (or are friends with people who have friends) with other people behind those treaties that they don't want to antagonize or drive away with war. Everything else is just a formality - the official rules that govern the world in which we operate, and guide the way our community evolves around it.

Maybe war is the only formality remaining that provides even the slightest, fleeting feeling of excitement anymore, but that doesn't make it the end-all be-all. Some of us are here to try to help organize little alliance governments and run an IA department. Some of us are genuinely here just to amass unholy amounts of tech. Some have been here so long and played so much, and simply want to be online when Bob finally does its Big Crunch and comes to an end. It's all the same - just a way that the player chooses to engage with the formalities of this world - and it's all equally valid.

P.S. I respect that you're still on here telling alliances how you can single-handedly run them out of the game, but you might first want to pay a bit more attention to the three nearly-dead alliances that you blitzed but can't even out-anarchy.

17 hours ago, AlmightyGrub said:

Meaning is in the eye of the beholder. Stats were to be stockpiled to be used for the ends of their owners, not for your ends. Nobody was or is here to entertain you.

Had you attacked the GPA when it was still functioning you would have paid it dearly, politically and military, for no political and military gain, which was by design and which is precisely why you didn't do it. Despite your occasional tough talk across literally more than a decade, in fact, you never showed up until the world was dead and the Agency had faded (for good reason!)

You failed to deliver on your words and now it's too late, but be happy that it was for the good of Polar (as some of your alliance mates understood and, if still awake, understand). Also comfort yourself in the thought that you were in good company - or numerous at least - in being that ridiculously late.

Talking of being late: your empty threats really arouse soft emotions in me. I don't feel fear or concern, only tenderness for you. I'll here explain why.

Pacifica, the kernel of the political cluster you're attached to, started years ago to ammass millions of tech levels thanks to droves of NPCs. They weren't the first to do that, but they really engineered it to a very large scale. I don't even care if that allowed them to gain the virtually unbridgeable military advantage that their subjects apparently started crediting them of - you might have noticed how stable Oculus is - the more important effect it had in the long run was to render everything pointless.

When having no qualms and resorting to any mean is all that it takes to become the top dog, what's the point of even playing the political game anymore? Politics was, while really not the only one, the main point to being here, when there were politics. For war to be a type of politics it needs to be determined by the honest effort of real people. When it's all about unfairness, lack of scruples and getting away with it, it's just paraphilia, being excited by a surrogate of the real thing. It's a subject for psychologists, definitely not a challenge for real people.

You talk of meaning, goals, preferencs, choices and consequences, when the leaders of your political cluster are a major reason due to which everything but (maybe) talk has been rendered pointless, years and years ago. Look, you're there running through the war mechanics over and over - only against those you're allowed to, as the rule you live under is very strict - like it still meant something. It doesn't!

You could attack that thing that I still control that is nominally a cyber nation. You could - in your words - "cripple the growth and drive away the members" of that ghost herd of long forgotten reveries that I kind of graze, that thing that is nominally collected under the GPA alliance affiliation. Do you think that I would care? All you could maybe achieve is to do me a favour.

This reality is a fraud, we're left with grey dead ashes blowing through our fingers and into the wind, and some of your companions have been one of the major drives that had all of us end where we are. Whatever you think you can destroy has no meaning. The only thing left is what we're doing in this little place, on this board. It's talking.

And that, you haven't the power nor the desire to destroy.

43 minutes ago, jerdge said:

Meaning is in the eye of the beholder. Stats were to be stockpiled to be used for the ends of their owners, not for your ends. Nobody was or is here to entertain you.

Had you attacked the GPA when it was still functioning you would have paid it dearly, politically and military, for no political and military gain, which was by design and which is precisely why you didn't do it. Despite your occasional tough talk across literally more than a decade, in fact, you never showed up until the world was dead and the Agency had faded (for good reason!)

You failed to deliver on your words and now it's too late, but be happy that it was for the good of Polar (as some of your alliance mates understood and, if still awake, understand). Also comfort yourself in the thought that you were in good company - or numerous at least - in being that ridiculously late.

Talking of being late: your empty threats really arouse soft emotions in me. I don't feel fear or concern, only tenderness for you. I'll here explain why.

Pacifica, the kernel of the political cluster you're attached to, started years ago to ammass millions of tech levels thanks to droves of NPCs. They weren't the first to do that, but they really engineered it to a very large scale. I don't even care if that allowed them to gain the virtually unbridgeable military advantage that their subjects apparently started crediting them of - you might have noticed how stable Oculus is - the more important effect it had in the long run was to render everything pointless.

When having no qualms and resorting to any mean is all that it takes to become the top dog, what's the point of even playing the political game anymore? Politics was, while really not the only one, the main point to being here, when there were politics. For war to be a type of politics it needs to be determined by the honest effort of real people. When it's all about unfairness, lack of scruples and getting away with it, it's just paraphilia, being excited by a surrogate of the real thing. It's a subject for psychologists, definitely not a challenge for real people.

You talk of meaning, goals, preferencs, choices and consequences, when the leaders of your political cluster are a major reason due to which everything but (maybe) talk has been rendered pointless, years and years ago. Look, you're there running through the war mechanics over and over - only against those you're allowed to, as the rule you live under is very strict - like it still meant something. It doesn't!

You could attack that thing that I still control that is nominally a cyber nation. You could - in your words - "cripple the growth and drive away the members" of that ghost herd of long forgotten reveries that I kind of graze, that thing that is nominally collected under the GPA alliance affiliation. Do you think that I would care? All you could maybe achieve is to do me a favour.

This reality is a fraud, we're left with grey dead ashes blowing through our fingers and into the wind, and some of your companions have been one of the major drives that had all of us end where we are. Whatever you think you can destroy has no meaning. The only thing left is what we're doing in this little place, on this board. It's talking.

17 hours ago, lilweirdward said:

At this point, I refuse to believe that anyone is still here in this hellhole of a world we call Bob just for the sake of existence. Instead, I think you've missed (deliberately or otherwise) the primary mechanic driving all of this: the community. Everyone I know who still logs in every 25 days just to keep their nation alive isn't doing it because they're waiting for that one perfect war to end it all, or because this is some perfect simulation of being the ruler of a nation, but because they have a strong sentimental attachment to the friends they've made and the fun they've had in this insane community that they're not ready to let it come to an end. The reason certain alliances don't attack others isn't because there's some game mechanic preventing them from breaking a treaty, but because people have friends (or are friends with people who have friends) with other people behind those treaties that they don't want to antagonize or drive away with war. Everything else is just a formality - the official rules that govern the world in which we operate, and guide the way our community evolves around it.

Maybe war is the only formality remaining that provides even the slightest, fleeting feeling of excitement anymore, but that doesn't make it the end-all be-all. Some of us are here to try to help organize little alliance governments and run an IA department. Some of us are genuinely here just to amass unholy amounts of tech. Some have been here so long and played so much, and simply want to be online when Bob finally does its Big Crunch and comes to an end. It's all the same - just a way that the player chooses to engage with the formalities of this world - and it's all equally valid.

P.S. I respect that you're still on here telling alliances how you can single-handedly run them out of the game, but you might first want to pay a bit more attention to the three nearly-dead alliances that you blitzed but can't even out-anarchy. 

You are here to amuse yourself, you chose the persona you wanted to amuse yourself with.  You found like-minded personas and congregated together.  I didn't choose who I wanted to be or how I wanted to present myself, I am just the combination of entire reason and compassion fused with a mindless arsehole hellbent on amusement at the expense of others.

Jerge, I didn't attack GPA ever, you were of no interest, you weren't even trying to play the same game or even endgame as me.  You were allowed to build to the point where you did, but even then you were easily toppled and your numbers plummeted because you sold your members a lie that was so conditional on the goodwill of others.  We don't necessarily have goodwill at all, in fact I pretty much have none.  If left unchecked I would have been embarrassingly more aggressive over the years but the GPA represented nothing but a huddled mass of people seeking something that exists nowhere.  I also developed a respect for your positions personally, you alone represented the GPA in a manner I could relate to.  It changed nothing because I ultimately wasn't interested in a no-win conflict with you.

We all have a choice, based on our limitations and our treaty ties, to do something before the world explodes.  I have chosen a path of occasional conflict, often resolved with a peace agreement of no consequence.  I build up my cash to sustain another war and a quick rebuild, fight and rebuild ready for the next one.  I have pretty much done so since 2006.  I was once one of the largest nations on Bob, but constant grinding conflict and a general boredom with tech trading has seen me capped at where I am now, which just so happens to be where I am guaranteed multiple rounds of constant warfare in any conflict.  These are my choices.  There is nothing you can do to influence these choices if I choose to attack your alliance.  All you can do is defend, successfully or otherwise.  So whilst you have choices, someone else can just as easily control your fate in the short term should they choose to.

As for Oculus, it met its goals, it has ensured its position, as have many others by tying themselves to the various partners of Oculus.  You are right, this prevents me, at this stage, from running rampant into alliances I truly want a shot at before we all die in the ultimate meltdown.   I wanted a particular match up in this war, I got it.  If things had panned out differently I would have gotten much more for my investment of almost nothing. 

I don't care at this stage particularly that we win or lose these conflicts, my obvious preference is to win, but sitting doing nothing for years on end except talking !@#$ about !@#$ with the same people does get tedious.  So we blow some !@#$ up, talk tough for a while, hurl insults and at the end walk away with a better understanding of our opponents. 

As for lacking the power to destroy, I agree, you can only destroy yourself.  My track record would indicate that I can be of assistance in that regard though.  Ultimately, survival might be enough for you, preservation of a community might seem a lofty goal but the reality is there is sweet FA community left.  Numbers have dropped to the point overall where most of the active community and most of the ''players'' have left us.  This has allowed others to shine, but it is still pretty dull in comparison to how it was.

lilweirdward,  within this framework, doing nothing seems negligent.  Right now 5 alliances have wars, fairly evenly matched for now and I am having some fun and getting to know some new people.  I have much more at my disposal should I choose to go there but for now this is working as intended.  You can have a comminuty without logging in every 20+ days.  There is no requirement to have a nation to hang out on Discord and chat to people you like to chat with, in fact I would argue that not having a nation involved in the push-pull of CN would make it easier to be friends with everyone you wanted to be friends with.  You also need to distinguish between reality and pretense.

Edited by AlmightyGrub

lilweirdward,  within this framework, doing nothing seems negligent.  Right now 5 alliances have wars, fairly evenly matched for now and I am having some fun and getting to know some new people.  I have much more at my disposal should I choose to go there but for now this is working as intended.  You can have a comminuty without logging in every 20+ days.  There is no requirement to have a nation to hang out on Discord and chat to people you like to chat with, in fact I would argue that not having a nation involved in the push-pull of CN would make it easier to be friends with everyone you wanted to be friends with.  You also need to distinguish between reality and pretense.

Lol I thought it was a decent effort at trying to follow the rules and not get explicitly meta about "the game" and such, but that's a fair critique. You oughtta hang out more often in the fancy new Discord embassy that Alexio recommended I make for you guys. It'd be nice to have these broad philosophical discussions in a place other than a thread about how you're going to obliterate us and our allies (unless you apparently choose not to unleash your full force on us? which would certainly be an interesting tactic both militarily and politically).

1 hour ago, jerdge said:

I recall attacking GPA at its zenith and it was one of the most poorly fought wars I have ever been a part of.  And I have fought just about everybody.  It was like somebody handed a bunch of noobs big nations that they had no idea how to use.  

1 hour ago, lilweirdward said:

Lol I thought it was a decent effort at trying to follow the rules and not get explicitly meta about "the game" and such, but that's a fair critique. You oughtta hang out more often in the fancy new Discord embassy that Alexio recommended I make for you guys. It'd be nice to have these broad philosophical discussions in a place other than a thread about how you're going to obliterate us and our allies (unless you apparently choose not to unleash your full force on us? which would certainly be an interesting tactic both militarily and politically).

Would anyone even notice?  Unlikely, right now we are essentially just talking among ourselves.  No one cares, or no one can afford to care

Would anyone even notice?  Unlikely, right now we are essentially just talking among ourselves.  No one cares, or no one can afford to care

AG,

I most certainly would notice if you obliterated them. I've been waiting for the surprise TBB has eluded to in past. And we maybe on the opposing side, if the peanut gallery is any indication, but I do love to watch you work. If politics were music, you sir are Mozart.

Sincerely,

Joseph M. Black

If no one cares.

Some/many wish to go out in a blaze of glory.

Want to ignore the "sim city nations" as they have no purpose  in your view....

Then....

Why not let the warmongers group into two new equal size alliances and have a war to end all wars. Think of the fun they could have (I base this on forum posts). Blasting each other as the fun goes on and on. Looking at smoke fill sunsets, bathing in radiation all day, and  having radiation burns to scratch down to the bone.   The boring "sim city" nations must stay out (they don't know how to have fun like this).

Possibles rules?.

You can not ask any sim city nations for aid.

You can attack any nation in range in the other warmongers group. ( no sim city nations)

As the war goes on if one alliance gains to a edge on the other, relocation of nations may occur. 

Can't enter PM.

Victory occurs when nation is totally destroyed. 

Last nation standing gets a new title (ideas for glorious title needed) and a forum thread to brag in.   "Two new alliances enter... one nations leaves"

Sim city nations must stay out, there is no peace for us here. However we can watch. Some may wish to cheer.

Edited by anobubby