A Vision for CyberNations?

jerdge

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SemperFidelis said:

I agree with this approach.  Helps keep the game active and creative without the punishing, punitive actions currently being exhibited.

A notion of fair play helps too, but sadly objective thought seems impossible.

8 hours ago, Joseph Black said:

A notion of fair play helps too, but sadly objective thought seems impossible.

Joseph, I agree with your statement about a notion of fair play.  That said, how do we move forward making objective thought and gamesmanship 'possible'?

5 hours ago, SemperFidelis said:

Joseph, I agree with your statement about a notion of fair play.  That said, how do we move forward making objective thought and gamesmanship 'possible'?

I dont think its actually possible. I'd love to see the community come together to establish a code of conduct with community sanctions for violations. A sense of right and wrong, but that's where I think it falls apart. Too few can agree on the most basic sense of whats acceptable and what isn't.

What is the perfect length of a war?

1. None, I just do not want war.

2. Until someone gives up.  It is not about the time period but about winning however that is defined.

3. One or two rounds

4. One month

5 Two months

6. Three months

7. Over 3 months

What of the below, are acceptable peace terms for ending a war? You can mark as many or few  as you like.

1. Officially say the alliance surrenders.

2. Payment of reparations as long as they are small.  

3 . Paymebt of reparations regardless of amount.

4. writing essay or review.

5. Decommission of weapons.  

6. Changing Team color.

7. Demanding votes for particular people in senate race. 

8. Demanding that certain people leave an alliance (but not disbanding alliance as a whole)

9. Demanding the alliance disband.

10. Other (list)

what of the above are not acceptable and you would speak badly of any group doing it?

what of the above are not acceptable and you would war against any alliance/ coalition or plot  until your side would win) that did it?

Do you love, hate or feel neutral if your nation is raided?

Do you love, hate or feel neutral in terms of raiding yourself?

@jerdge

Edited by White Chocolate

2 hours ago, White Chocolate said:

What is the perfect length of a war?

1. None, I just do not want war.

2. Until someone gives up.  It is not about the time period but about winning however that is defined.

3. One or two rounds

4. One month

5 Two months

6. Three months

7. Over 3 months

What of the below, are acceptable peace terms for ending a war? You can mark as many or few  as you like.

1. Officially say the alliance surrenders.

2. Payment of reparations as long as they are small.  

3 . Paymebt of reparations regardless of amount.

4. writing essay or review.

5. Decommission of weapons.  

6. Changing Team color.

7. Demanding votes for particular people in senate race. 

8. Demanding that certain people leave an alliance (but not disbanding alliance as a whole)

9. Demanding the alliance disband.

10. Other (list)

what of the above are not acceptable and you would speak badly of any group doing it?

what of the above are not acceptable and you would war against any alliance/ coalition or plot  until your side would win) that did it?

Do you love, hate or feel neutral if your nation is raided?

Do you love, hate or feel neutral in terms of raiding yourself?

You're forgetting an important factor in all of this, and that is- Casus belli

The "why of it all.

For example_

When is it acceptable to launch aggressive campaigns?

1. Only if the political climate allows it (Check your treaty web privilege)

2. Only if the effort required doesn't surpass that of a real challenge

3. Under any circumstance in which an ally's sovereignty has been infringed upon, regardless of the consequences

4. It is never acceptable, we only play this game out of habit

5. Only if Oculus classifies them as rogues first so we can get a free pass

The game has always had the issue of mechanical competition being limited because it's tedious to be mechanically competitive and requires new players joining and being dependent on a small numbers of mechanically competitive alliances that would carry the load for the rest. The lack of new players and the fact that new players can't do much on their own means it's a death cycle. Many people are just keeping the nations around and as stewie pointed out, there's a massive lack of activity in the bigger alliances, so there is no incentive to fight because it's an organizational nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, General Kanabis said:

tl;dr

imageproxy.jpg

I have belonged to three of those alliances and led one of them.

You are most welcome. I really did try.

Since there's really no other place to put this, a brief commentary on unintended consequences.

Some will remember the great debate about the GRL, its removal, and associated environmental effects. The intent was to create a situation wherein the use of nukes would have devastating effects for all nations, perhaps serving as a kind of brake on their use. Of course, this never happened. Instead, my new nation (my umpteenth, I believe) is at 4,100 infra, has a full suite of happiness inducing improvements, two Wonders, and a population that is indifferent and an environment that is catastrophic.

As a result, I am barely able to pay my bills each day. I don't particularly care, mind you. I'm not here to 'grow my nation' or engage in any of the kind of idiotic flexing I see from time to time. I sell tech and send PMs to friends. But if I were a new nation actually trying to make a go of it, I'd be frustrated as hell and would have quit long ago. The hill that one must climb to build a nation is far steeper than it was just a few years ago, and the rewards (?) are few to non-existent.

8 hours ago, General Kanabis said:

dhf136789g.gif

We're all rootin' for ya ;)

Haha!  I love it!

And I love this topic and the posters who have put in their two cents.

Back to the subject at hand:  [gif]williewonka/walking.with.cane/falling/springingtolife[/gif]]  <——— admin

With what I’ve seen and heard, people in power don’t want to give up their power; just like in real life.

I would ask if players would prefer a time limit/reset similar to TE, but longer.  Who would enforce this?  That’s a problem.  Also, this reminds me too much of CN 2.0, so, never mind, it’s already been proposed and shown to be mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

Now there's an idea - the fall of nations.  Not a global reset or time limit, but a randomly-generated event chain that simulates a nation's fall.  Military failure, crumbling infrastructure, population upheaval.  You can't predict it, you can try and fight it, but sooner or later it will happen to you.  Could end up being very frustrating if executed wrong, but could also allow for some decent mobility for younger nations.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:50 PM, Pyrrha said:

I'm actually a fairly well known PnW player, but the main complaints they pose and the reasons why i haven't seriously joined CN (aside from reading your forums), is stagnant politics, a huge gap between new and older players and a bad UI. The latter can't be fixed afik. It shocked me a few days ago when i checked your forums and noticed Non-Grata attacking Freehold of the Wolves, i'd assumed you guys had already past the point of no return for alliance wars.

<> I wouldn't be opposed to joining an alliance, if you guys know of any active ones.

Ayy epi, I tok am a well known PnW player. I'd recommend joining the game if you are bothered with this one.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:58 AM, Kongo Jack said:

Perhaps a 3rd GOONS? 

At least this planet has some civility and order.

That might be amusing.

The first GOONS were cool, the second GOONS were OK but not as good as the first episode , hopefully the final part of the GOONS trilogy will be epic .

On 12/4/2019 at 12:35 PM, AlmightyGrub said:

The Second Third Coming of Electron Sponge?  

As a bearded mooch (much beloved by people without actual life experience) once noted, great personages tend to occur, in a sense, twice: the first time as tragedy, the second as farce. Sponge's re-appearance would add a third category: the complete waste of goddamn time.

And we are back to the classic CN pipe dream, hoping that someone else will come by to make it interesting and somehow break the stagnation.  Stagnation that every one of those dreamers would then immediately and without hesitation fight to uphold.

Edited by HeroofTime55