A Vision for CyberNations?

jerdge

30 minutes ago, Stewie said:

IRON, NPO and ODN cant even keep all of us in War Mode let alone in anarchy.

They're embarrassing themselves...

No, not really. You make no sense, you cry here cause your being pushed from the game and then beat your chest because your not dying faster. You can either be the victim of your own choices or you can be the champion for the end of the world, but not both. Your lack of consistancy makes talking about this painful.

Edited by Joseph Black

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Joseph Black said:

No, not really. You make no sense, you cry here cause your being pushed from the game and then beat your chest because your not dying faster. You can either be the victim of your own choices or you can be the champion for the end of the world, but not both. Your lack of consistancy makes talking about this painful.

Where am I crying?

Lulz

On 10/18/2019 at 1:07 AM, Stewie said:

It wasn't a losing war when it was just NG vs FTW babycakes.

But, in my experience, when you're against over 50% of Bob with the leaders of the coalition not engaging with any form of dialogue - definitely feels like being forced out

You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:57 PM, Stewie said:

IRON, NPO and ODN cant even keep all of us in War Mode let alone in anarchy.

They're embarrassing themselves...

I don't know about their internal activity (I doubt it's significant but I don't know), but from the outside they look pretty in a terrible state (not blaming them, we at the GPA are definitely in worse a shape). It would be no wonder to learn that no one of them has any interest in keeping Bob alive (is it alive?)... why should they? An active entity that could otherwise arise could blow them out of the water. However, I doubt they need to do or not do much to obtain that this world stays inactive, in fact I also doubt they're actually doing or not doing much at all.

One factor that keeps this world (almost) dead could be that many of the few active oldies are too jaded to do anything to build anything new (relations, stats, anything), they just prefer to chat and maybe "go rogue" for fun or lulz - and yes, I'm kinda looking in your direction too, friend.

The FTW may be terrible, I don't presume I know, however they have a few people that look active and interested in doing something (anything) beyond complaining about the state of things and circling their thumbs while they fire their umpteenth nuke and brag about their casualties. If anything, you (if interested ofc), GK and his gang, and them should put together your efforts and do something to change the state of things.

Or I don't know, you can continue syh at people sawing the branch they sit on, while you also saw the branch you sit on.

Edited by jerdge
typo

9 hours ago, jerdge said:

I don't know about their internal activity (I doubt it's significant but I don't know), but from the outside they look pretty in a terrible state (not blaming them, we at the GPA are definitely in worse a shape). It would be no wonder to learn that no one of them has any interest in keeping Bob alive (is it alive?)... why should they? An active entity that could otherwise arise could blow them out of the water. However, I doubt they need to do or not do much to obtain that this world stays inactive, in fact I also doubt they're actually doing or not doing much at all.

One factor that keeps this world (almost) dead could be that many of the few active oldies are too jaded to do anything to build anything new (relations, stats, anything), they just prefer to chat and maybe "go rogue" for fun or lulz - and yes, I'm kinda looking in your direction too, friend.

The FTW may be terrible, I don't presume I know, however they have a few people that look active and interested in doing something (anything) beyond complaining about the state of things and circling their thumbs while they fire their umpteenth nuke and brag about their casualties. If anything, you (if interested ofc), GK and his gang, and them should put together your efforts and do something to change the state of things.

Or I don't know, you can continue syh at people sawing the branch they sit on, while you also saw the branch you sit on.

We try to build something new and the old guard go "no no not that kind of activity"

10 hours ago, jerdge said:

If anything, you (if interested ofc), GK and his gang, and them should put together your efforts and do something to change the state of things.

There was a chance of that happening not long ago then the fear of pixels lost set in. Yeah, I get it, you think we're all warmongers, but we're really not. We want peace-time, we want war-time, we just don't want permanent peace-time. If we wanted to just grow our nations and do nothing else we might as well just go play Farmville.

Edited by Thrash

1 hour ago, Thrash said:

There was a chance of that happening not long ago then the fear of pixels lost set in. Yeah, I get it, you think we're all warmongers, but we're really not. We want peace-time, we want war-time, we just don't want permanent peace-time. If we wanted to just grow our nations and do nothing else we might as well just go play Farmville.

I'm a big fan of short (2-3 round) wars to get through whatever the CB was then go back to building

More dynamism in the world is good

Issue is that we are in a situation where people have not warred for years so have multi billion warchests

I feel a bit like this is repetitive of what others have said, but this game suffers from wicked inequality, and imo no market mechanism to give small/new players a chance to broker deals with older/larger players to catch up. Sure there are tech deals, but that's small potatoes.

Why have an aid cap? Also, where is the system of international loans and interest? It would be neat if there was a marketplace for cash, where rich nations could offer large amounts of cash (say, $100million), and state an interest rate and compound period etc.

This could be developed organically just by raising the foreign caps (and allowing an unlimited # of foreign aid slots). If these changes were made, the game play would effectively still be the same, but there would be a new dynamic where large nations actually took some real risk with their cash (to earn money and help allies in large numbers), and simultaneously smaller nations would have a legitimate chance of catching up.

I suppose this increases the risk of certain nations just giving all their cash/tech to a friend before quitting the game. But honestly,  who cares?

I also think it would be neat to change the cap on war slots to be determined by NS instead of by a fixed number of wars. So something like "any nation can declare on any other provided the attacked nation will have less than 2.5x NS in attackers following the dow" . So that way one 25k ns nation could declare on a 10kns nation, but no one else. Or, 2 10k NS nation could declare on the 10k ns defender. Or, 10 2.5k ns nations could declare on the defending 10k ns nation. 

I think that change would be more serious for changing gameplay, but it would go a long way to equalizing play, I think.

Honestly, bigger nations that use their nations don't have much of an advantage. I went from a bigger nation to a small nation in a matter of months. I mean sure, I still have the wonders advantage, but 10000+ tech lost in 3 months. It would take over a year to get that tech back.

The reason that tech is gone is because of the lack of nations and the "new" change that allowed nations to declare based on their nation rank and not their nation size. That was a good change when there was 15k+ nations, but not so much anymore.

There are many ridiculous statements in the last couple pages of this thread, but the most ridiculous is the one about being forced out of the game because you feel like over half of the active leaders want to force you out. Where's a TTK member when you need one?

9 hours ago, Thrash said:

I don't think you are all warmongers, whoever are the people you were meaning with "we".

With "building anything" I meant building anything, building relations to then blow the world up also qualifies.

4 hours ago, Tevron said:

There are many ridiculous statements in the last couple pages of this thread, but the most ridiculous is the one about being forced out of the game because you feel like over half of the active leaders want to force you out. Where's a TTK member when you need one?

At least in the maroon wars there was a dialogue between the leaders during the conflict.

In this one there are no back channels.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:44 AM, jerdge said:

The question in this thread therefore is: What are the right question(s) to learn what the players want, and how would you formulate them?

Thank you for your help.

I'll post my questions later.

Where does this idea come from.

Hide contents

Quoting oneself is almost always in bad taste, but...

1.  When was the first year you played CN?(list years in answers)

2. How did you find out about CN?

a) friend

b) advertisement

c) just looking myself

d) Other: (explain)

3.  If you ever left CN, what made you decide to leave? (Pick all that apply)

a) alliance war

b) destruction of my alliance

c) raiding

d) too busy in real life

e) found games I like more and limited time

f) I disliked the players here

g)  I disliked the politics here

h) i did not like the game mechanics

i) Too much war

j) too little war 

k) Other: Explain

4) After you left, what brought you back? ( pick all that apply)

a) I missed interacting with the other players

b) got invited back by friends

c) to help in war

d) lack of war so more time to grow

e) missed paying the game for the drama

f) missed playing the game for the machainics

e) damn good question, I have no idea

5) If you have never left, why have you stuck with the game? ( check all that apply and rank your top 2)

a) Easy to play - does not take much time

b) Loyalty to friends

c) Loyalty to alliance

d) Love the war

e) love nation building

f) I like the other players

g) the drama

h) the politics

i.  Because my nation has been here this long might as well stay

I might think of some more questions later and maybe possible answers.

is that the type of answers you are looking for? @jerdge

Edited by White Chocolate

10 minutes ago, White Chocolate said:

1.  When was the first year you played CN?(list years in answers)

2. How did you find out about CN?

a) friend

b) advertisement

c) just looking myself

d) Other: (explain)

3.  If you ever left CN, what made you decide to leave? (Pick all that apply)

a) alliance war

b) destruction of my alliance

c) raiding

d) too busy in real life

e) found games I like more and limited time

f) I disliked the players here

g)  I disliked the politics here

h) i did not like the game mechanics

i) Too much war

j) too little war 

k) Other: Explain

4) After you left, what brought you back? ( pick all that apply)

a) I missed interacting with the other players

b) got invited back by friends

c) to help in war

d) lack of war so more time to grow

e) missed paying the game for the drama

f) missed playing the game for the machainics

e) damn good question, I have no idea

5) If you have never left, why have you stuck with the game? ( check all that apply and rank your top 2)

a) Easy to play - does not take much time

b) Loyalty to friends

c) Loyalty to alliance

d) Love the war

e) love nation building

f) I like the other players

g) the drama

h) the politics

i.  Because my nation has been here this long might as well stay

I might think of some more questions later and maybe possible answers.

is that the type of answers you are looking for? @jerdge

They're perfect, White Chocolate, thank you.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:07 AM, Stewie said:

But, in my experience, when you're against over 50% of Bob with the leaders of the coalition not engaging with any form of dialogue - definitely feels like being forced out

In the history of CN, this has happened many times. Speaking to an example I got to see up close....

With the extermination of NoV, we learned that it's OK to attack players in-game over what they do outside the game, up to posting pictures, identifying them by name, saying where they live, etc. We also learned that, contrary to the CN ToS, personal property can be held hostage as happened to the owner of NoV's forum, who was told by Slayer (whose fondness, incidentally, for young people led to the end of his policing career) to delete it or be responsible for the destruction of dozens of nations.

That was a decade ago, and nothing ever improved here. The rules do not apply to a select group, and they never have.

I mentioned the cheating ring FAN uncovered earlier. Nothing was ever done about that, either. It couldn't possibly have been because a certain player who was up to his neck in cheating was also a Mod at the time. Nah....that would make too much sense.

Honestly, why would anyone want to save the garbage pile otherwise known as CN? Let it burn.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Stewie said:

I'm a big fan of short (2-3 round) wars to get through whatever the CB was then go back to building

More dynamism in the world is good

Issue is that we are in a situation where people have not warred for years so have multi billion warchests

I agree with this approach.  Helps keep the game active and creative without the punishing, punitive actions currently being exhibited.