A Vision for CyberNations?

jerdge

I'd like to remind everyone that this is an OOC forum. As such, posting propaganda makes you look silly (posting an honest, albeit opinionated critique of the current state of affairs doesn't count as propaganda, but remember that it's a narrow path and it's easy to slip into dumb mode).

Also, this is the "actually a dick" part of this board: being a dick here qualifies you as a Genuine CN Dick (as you can imagine, some are even proud of it, but don't you be the trash).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lysergide said:

You are the one spinning conspiracy theories, maybe you should take a break, this mental exercise must really be straining the few brain cells you have left.

Asking a question is spinning conspiracy theories. Okay. Sorry that you're the one who speaks proper English and not me I guess XD

On the thread topic, my point was that a vocal minority who mostly talks out of their bottoms keep making absurd claims. These claims are probably not going to be supported by Jerdge's poll.

Edited by Tevron
expansion.

10 hours ago, Tevron said:

Asking a question is spinning conspiracy theories. Okay. Sorry that you're the one who speaks proper English and not me I guess XD

On the thread topic, my point was that a vocal minority who mostly talks out of their bottoms keep making absurd claims. These claims are probably not going to be supported by Jerdge's poll.

You are the one that brought up alliances that aren't involved in anything.

Here's a vision:

I will acquire revenge for what happened almost 10 years ago on this game and nobody will be able to stop me. Be warned the next war will be of MY doing, the chess pieces are slowly being moved. Personas built, ranks acquired, false relationships made!! It's time for a new flailing generation to fall victim to the power and mischief of Emperor Keith. I have outlasted all prior rivals and now victry is assured.

Image result for emperor everything is proceeding as i have foreseen gif

The Keithtonian Empire has been reborn before your very much unsuspecting and untrained eyes, Keithtonia Prevails!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, MaGneT said:

So, um, it sounds like this is a bad time to come back after a 7 year hiatus?

EDIT: Holy hell, DT is still around and we're a sanctioned alliance now!

*waves*

A few of us are just waiting for the lights to be switched off.

sup jerdge,

You wanted to know why people left CN, and I'll respond with a question of my own - what more did we hope to get out of the game?  What more did we hope to accomplish, and would it be worth the time & effort required to achieve it?

All the big names who have left would probably have seen everything the game had to offer.  We'd won wars and we lost wars.  We'd (hopefully) bounced back from defeats, and we'd been knocked down after victories.  We'd probably done every type of work imaginable within an alliance.  We'd optimized our nations, built to optimal infra, amassed warchests that would put Google to shame.  If we were lucky, we found a tech and trade circle that didn't fall apart every month - and those who were really lucky found someone with five brothers to be part of it.  We'd had countless arguments about dumb, inane things both within and outside our alliances, and seen the RL/CN line crossed far too many times.  We'd stayed up until 1 AM just to hit F5 forever and then have 25 nukes blocked in a row.

So, I ask you - what more did the game have to offer?  What else would we want to achieve, knowing that most things had already been done, and the things that hadn't would require far too great an investment of time and effort for even a minimal chance of succeeding?  At a certain point, you know that you don't have any more goals or any more experiences to get out of the game, and logging in every 20 days becomes a futile exercise.

You also start to realise that, even if there were things you wanted to accomplish, your time spent on this game can no longer be a priority.  Everyone is in the same boat - we're all a decade (or more) older than we were when this started - and our ability to commit the required effort to accomplish our goals reflects that, especially when there's a diminished payoff because no experience is new anymore.  There may be a small hope that someone else will take up the mantle, but we lose interest if no one does.

In all honesty, I feel like you (ironically) summed this up quite nicely in your OP:

On 8/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, jerdge said:

I for one am certainly not going to be the prophet.

Gopher!!! *bear hug*

You're right that old players can get very little, if anything at all, from the game (in my opinion many could at least try to learn to be nicer, although basically no one can hope to get to Nicest Player level, which is your level).

I don't expect anything anymore, personally, as you actually detected. Others are playing seriously, though, and maybe I can provide a very little help to slightly improve the way the game is played, which is the point of this thread.

After all, you posted again: that is in itself enough a reward for this thread, at least in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Everyone is in the same boat - we're all a decade (or more) older than we were when this started - and our ability to commit the required effort to accomplish our goals reflects that, especially when there's a diminished payoff because no experience is new anymore.

Well put.

I keep considering that the very youngest CN players I knew in 2006 are now in their late 20's. An average, college-aged player from 2006 is creeping up on 40. The 'external distractions' facing long-time players now are things like families, children and businesses, as opposed to final exams or finding that first post-graduation job.

EDIT: Even the Mods are too busy to pay attention most of the time. Once upon a time a person who posted without having a nation would find themselves banned within minutes.

Edited by kingzog

On 9/20/2019 at 8:14 AM, kingzog said:

Well put.

I keep considering that the very youngest CN players I knew in 2006 are now in their late 20's. An average, college-aged player from 2006 is creeping up on 40. The 'external distractions' facing long-time players now are things like families, children and businesses, as opposed to final exams or finding that first post-graduation job.

EDIT: Even the Mods are too busy to pay attention most of the time. Once upon a time a person who posted without having a nation would find themselves banned within minutes.

Late 20's, lol. I'm approaching 50.

Im surprised this game even still exists just over a decade since the karma war and I dont think admin cared then, I remember him saying back then he didnt think nor did he intend to even last this long. I saw PnW is still being updated which is what started me on this tour down memory lane, if anything is worth a punt surely it would be getting that game to change the devs seem open idea ect although I remember just not being a big fan in the past. Or maybe admin will finally sell CN , still same guy I presume ?

11 hours ago, Thrash said:

Late 20's, lol. I'm approaching 50.

53 here. None of us is getting any younger

With respect to my late 20's comment, I was thinking specifically of the kid who founded Nueva Vida when he was 13 or 14. The typical CNer circa 2006, however, was about a decade older,I think.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:37 PM, Gopherbashi said:

I like to come back and poke this place with a stick every now and then.  Seeing if it still moves and all that.

Same, only I can't even be bothered to poke it with a stick anymore. Basically it's the same weirdo's who ruined the game occasionally making really odd posts on the OWF.

The games age was kind of unique for its time. Bringing in folks from all over the world where the internet hadn't so co-depended  everyone that the type of interaction we have now (Discord, social media, et al) was still possible for you to never know your opponents or friends. I don't think you'd find too many young folk interested in the current iteration of the game. The mechanics would need tweaked but as has been mentioned in this thread, and I've stated before -- the circlejerk at the top ruined this game. No one wanted to take a risk or lose a war, or do anything unique. The result is the game is dead. It's a political simulator, but there was a time when you didn't have to ingratiate yourselves with folks who already had decade long established relationships and attempt them to put an axe in their buds head.

Needs a makeover, new target audience, mechanic overhaul, and you need new people. 

On 9/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, kingzog said:

53 here. None of us is getting any younger

You're wrong! I grew older up to about 35 and I then started to feel younger and younger. I now consider my mind and spirit to be in their early twenties.

(It's just the midlife crisis, I know... 😉)