How is this place still alive?

IYIyTh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:40 AM, Jhouserok[FCC] said:

Yikes, seeing TBB still on here after all these years in original form is a throw back.  Hello fellow CNers. 

When all of Planet Bob has faded away, the Bad Man will remain trolling the emptiness.  

20 hours ago, Finster Baby said:

I read this and then notice that OWF hasn't had a post since 11 December.

Isn't it written down somewhere that you can stop life support if you're too exhausted to continue???

Also, hello TBB!

Hey Finster!!!  Looks like the Wolves and LoSS did some last second CPR on OWF keeping alive for not.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 1:02 PM, IYIyTh said:

The people responsible for the death of the game know who they are.

God, just @ me next time.

I jest, but seriously, this game certainly had a lot going for it.  There's a market out there for political simulators, particularly political simulators that don't have high time or effort costs, not like all the space empire browser games.  It's an attestation to the strength of this community, and that hunger for political gameplay that it lasted this long.

I think it's far too late now for course corrections, but for those curious here's what I would have done:

-The biggest thing is that it's too easy to get wrecked and lose everything.  As ultimately little as the "game" part of the game matters to those playing the political part, it matters a great deal to the line membership.  All it would have taken to retain thousands of nations would have been a simple discount in rebuilding Infra or tech up to what the highest level the nation had ever achieved.  Even something as slight at 25% off would have been a sign to the player that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

-Removed the tech deal system, it's boring, never made a bit of goddamn sense from an RP perspective and sucks ass.  Make a static tech treaty with other nations where a higher teched nation gets access to a lower tech'd nation's resources in exchange for a tech discount up to it's max tech.

-Removed the tax rate mechanic, as it was too easily optimized at max, and removed extraneous systems in general.

-Added systems to encourage political play.  Interestingly, the failed command and conquer browser game actually had formalized ingame treaties.  Providing frameworks for this play may have encouraged it among people who might not have otherwise organized.

-New graphics, hell, make it a phone app game too, that could have drawn in people while using the same infrastructure (no pun intended).

- Abstracted the combat such that activity was not required to wage ground war outside of manually pressing the nuke button and changing combat modes.  We've all seen the rise of idle games, I think a system that leaned into that would be less irritating.

Maybe someday somebody will make something like that.

Regardless, maybe we all experienced the product of a unique time and place, that won't come again in any form, which in a certain way makes it more special.

Ah, memories.

Edited by Sardonic

On 2/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, wes the wise said:

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm still here doing it! I sincerely hope you are all well. Grubby plz accept my demand to join NpO. 

The game was always what we made it not what the creator designed.  The game itself was and is and always will be fairly crappy.  @Sardonic makes some great points, but the biggest issue was and always will be the pay to play set who manipulated the game as they saw fit to achieve the things they wanted.  The concessions made to keep these people playing and paying ruined the gameplay and left only the politics.  Luckily I do politics...

Also really?  We are about to roll the CCC, are you down for that?

@Luckao and @Sardonic? What is this, I tought we were in 2019!

I also had and have my theories but honestly... Yawn.

@AlmightyGrub : "pay to play" was topped by "when blatant cheaters get caught call it 'witch-hunt'". The - already feeble - remaining credibility of this game went down the toilet many many years ago. Luckily I was away when it happened, I know that that helped me save a lot of my time.

All of this said, this game is for free, Admin is free to do with it whatever he's pleased with. I don't give a damn about it and about him.

Edited by jerdge

This entire thing peaked for me around 2007 when Leviathan the then foreign minister of Nordreich said he couldn't possibly be a nazi because he's married to a Jew and I nuked him. Honestly, I've no idea what I've been doing here since. 

3,187 current active nations. 
613,710 nations couldn't take the heat. 
616,897 total nations created all time. 

Down to the last 0.5% of all nations ever created. Even when you factor in those nations created that just died after 20 days of doing nothing, or even multis, that's still a lot of folk to have come and passed through the doors these last 13 yrs. 

4 hours ago, LJ Scott said:

3,187 current active nations.
613,710 nations couldn't take the heat. 
616,897 total nations created all time.

Down to the last 0.5% of all nations ever created. Even when you factor in those nations created that just died after 20 days of doing nothing, or even multis, that's still a lot of folk to have come and passed through the doors these last 13 yrs. 

Sad really.

Certainly this game has largely been what we've made of it, but there's no denying that Admin has absolutely squandered what was once something promising. It's his prerogative of course to do absolutely nothing, in the grand scheme of things, but frankly it's a slap in the face to those of us that have been there through the thick and the thin.

Edited by SirWilliam

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, Sardonic said:

God, just @ me next time.

I jest, but seriously, this game certainly had a lot going for it.  There's a market out there for political simulators, particularly political simulators that don't have high time or effort costs, not like all the space empire browser games.  It's an attestation to the strength of this community, and that hunger for political gameplay that it lasted this long.

I think it's far too late now for course corrections, but for those curious here's what I would have done:

-The biggest thing is that it's too easy to get wrecked and lose everything.  As ultimately little as the "game" part of the game matters to those playing the political part, it matters a great deal to the line membership.  All it would have taken to retain thousands of nations would have been a simple discount in rebuilding Infra or tech up to what the highest level the nation had ever achieved.  Even something as slight at 25% off would have been a sign to the player that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

-Removed the tech deal system, it's boring, never made a bit of goddamn sense from an RP perspective and sucks ass.  Make a static tech treaty with other nations where a higher teched nation gets access to a lower tech'd nation's resources in exchange for a tech discount up to it's max tech.

-Removed the tax rate mechanic, as it was too easily optimized at max, and removed extraneous systems in general.

-Added systems to encourage political play.  Interestingly, the failed command and conquer browser game actually had formalized ingame treaties.  Providing frameworks for this play may have encouraged it among people who might not have otherwise organized.

-New graphics, hell, make it a phone app game too, that could have drawn in people while using the same infrastructure (no pun intended).

- Abstracted the combat such that activity was not required to wage ground war outside of manually pressing the nuke button and changing combat modes.  We've all seen the rise of idle games, I think a system that leaned into that would be less irritating.

Maybe someday somebody will make something like that.

Regardless, maybe we all experienced the product of a unique time and place, that won't come again in any form, which in a certain way makes it more special.

Ah, memories.

Tell us how you really feel....

On 2/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, Sabcat said:

This entire thing peaked for me around 2007 when Leviathan the then foreign minister of Nordreich said he couldn't possibly be a nazi because he's married to a Jew and I nuked him. Honestly, I've no idea what I've been doing here since. 

I used to be more right wing when I played years ago, I joined Nordreich, I was attracted to more the Monarchist/Prussian aspect of it, then Nazi aspect. 

Being there, NoR are more people with very conservative views. Calling them Nazis would strike me as slightly disingenuous. They're closer to Kaiser Wilhelm, then Adolf Hitler. Churchill was more right wing then some of the members of NoR ffs.

A quick look at this thread though shows that this game has a better quality of posters then a certain other game, which I shall not mention. I don't have much hope for the future of this genre, I have thought of making my own game of this style at some point, but so have a lot of people and many of them haven't finished their games in question.

Personally, as long as people aren't using forums for alliances, I have little interest in returning, as the procedure seems to be completely run alliances from Discord these days, based on my current observations. Playing a pixel smashing game, with a discord attached and no actual political RP holds no enjoyment for me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 8:22 AM, Madoka said:

Personally, as long as people aren't using forums for alliances, I have little interest in returning, as the procedure seems to be completely run alliances from Discord these days, based on my current observations. Playing a pixel smashing game, with a discord attached and no actual political RP holds no enjoyment for me. 

Came back to see if this is true. And, well, it is. Forums are dead everywhere. My brand new nation has received a total of one recruitment message.

I'd suggest pulling the plug, but the game is already dead. Any movement you see is just rigor mortis.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:22 AM, Madoka said:

2 hours ago, kingzog said:

Forums are dead everywhere.

Forums aren't dead everywhere. Every NPO department still relies heavily on our forums, and there's plenty of forum chatter from regular members, too.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:03 PM, Lord of Darkness said:

The Order's forums are the largest and busiest of any alliance. Besides hosting Orion, they're trafficked by nearly 200 users every day. In 2018, there were over 4000 new topics, over 58000 new posts, over 37000 PMs, and over 3700 PM replies on npowned.net. 

Number of Registered Users Concurrently Online on npowned.net

oQ6Z4cq.png

The Order never sleeps

We achieved this in large part because we have a very active leadership team, from Imperial Officers to department heads. In the past 55 weeks there have been 82 formal announcements on NPO's forums ranging from announcements for new nation development programs to foreign affairs updates to awards ceremonies to newsletters. That's an average of 1.49 leadership announcements per week.