Nation count within CN and trends

kingly

Lot's of mechanics could change the face of CN....

Change slot expiry to 7 days, allow people to buy 2 or 3 wonders per month, decrease the usefulness of tech etc etc

Then it would need an active opposition to take advantage of that. 

Essentially work it so active players can catch up.

As you know nothing will change now, and the opposition has no nous and activity to afflict any meaningful damage.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, as you've said Tiberius, doing things to encourage active participation. That's also good for the Admin because more activity means more people clicking on those adverts, which give money.

As it stands, there is little reason to be very active. I know players who have for years just been logging in every second week, and they are some of the biggest nations.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:04 AM, Ch33kY said:

Basically, as you've said Tiberius, doing things to encourage active participation. That's also good for the Admin because more activity means more people clicking on those adverts, which give money.

As it stands, there is little reason to be very active. I know players who have for years just been logging in every second week, and they are some of the biggest nations.

I am way more active off site, but in terms of in game activity, I for one am guilty as charged... though.. today I will be doing more than I have in a long time.

• 5 weeks later...

I lost interest in SE years ago, don't know why I still log in tbh. Maybe it's holding on to a past that was interestingly fun and met lot's of great people.

The past couple of years have been spent on TE, the numbers were low but having that reset every few months made it competitive. But it looks like TE is gone and I'm sure that will result in more people leaving SE.

I don't have the energy to even rogue my way out of the game lol! But if anyone attacks i'll be happy enough to take their tech???

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2018 at 7:26 AM, MaineGOP said:

I completely agree.  

I hear all the time the mechanics around tech mean that no one can compete with the top.... Well yes when all the top tech nations are allied or those who aren't are one by one picked off. 

Those are choices made by certain alliances. I've never had any interest in joining a large alliance or one tied to the "winning" side. To me thats not fun. I mean to each their own, i'm not saying how others play the game is wrong. I just have no interest in it.

I came to this game in 2006 with a group from another forum and we founded the FCC, for a long time we had no entangling treaties until we formed Citadel with Umbrella, Gramlins, OG, and TOP. We fought in Karma. I had some short stints at Gramlins and Onyx Hand during that time.  Then when I returned I knew I wanted to be in a good group of people who were mid-size. I made a great choice at TTK............................................................................

You had it going bro, but then you crashed and burned.

9 minutes ago, Steve Buscemi said:

You had it going bro, but then you crashed and burned.

i mean we may be allies now (though I barely play) but you are basically just a troll. Just deleting comments on the team page. Deleting fellow senators posts. It's like a child was voted senator. NG has some good people. I don't consider you one.

Show respect, its the only way to get it.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:47 PM, Lady Red said:

strangest Co-Op Excel Spreadsheet ever experienced.  

I thought I got out, and then I got sucked back in.

I don't care about the mega nations.  I don't care about tech buying and selling rates.  That isn't what made CN the "strangest Co-Op Excel Spreadsheet ever experienced.  It was the AAs.  As soon as they became stagnate, the game began to die.  

If I believed there was some game mechanic fix, I would focus on 2 aspects. First, an NS cap of some kind (not for nations, but for AAs).  I haven't thought through it enough to think about the mechanics of it, but forcing AAs to juggle that would be interesting.  Second, I would focus on limitting the NS any particular AA could be aligned to, for much the same reasons.  

Either way, meh.

Mechanics make people come and build up routines. Communities make people stay. This game has always been the complete polar opposite of a Skinner box, a system that does everything in its power to discourage logins and basic repetitive maintenance activities. It's a real testament to the alliances that anyone still plays, despite the game itself.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, MaineGOP said:

i mean we may be allies now (though I barely play) but you are basically just a troll. Just deleting comments on the team page. Deleting fellow senators posts. It's like a child was voted senator. NG has some good people. I don't consider you one.

Show respect, its the only way to get it.

I've always liked you, so I'll be as polite as I can be in this situation. You're wrong. Steve is a treasure.

On 6/28/2018 at 6:13 PM, smurthwaite said:

I thought I got out, and then I got sucked back in.

I don't care about the mega nations.  I don't care about tech buying and selling rates.  That isn't what made CN the "strangest Co-Op Excel Spreadsheet ever experienced.  It was the AAs.  As soon as they became stagnate, the game began to die.  

If I believed there was some game mechanic fix, I would focus on 2 aspects. First, an NS cap of some kind (not for nations, but for AAs).  I haven't thought through it enough to think about the mechanics of it, but forcing AAs to juggle that would be interesting.  Second, I would focus on limitting the NS any particular AA could be aligned to, for much the same reasons.  

Either way, meh.

It's hard to eliminate relationships.

So while they have had divergent paths over the years remember Polar was a colony of Pacifica and while they were separate at one time it was an attempt to have one alliance control multiple spheres.

My point though is that you set a cap on an AA. They just run 3 AA's. You set a cap on allied NS... First how? There is no in-game allies feature. Even if there was you just do it out of game. Refuse to attack each other and back each others wars unofficially.

I like that you are trying to come up with something but you can't stop people from being friends. You can't force people to fight each other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 5:25 AM, MaineGOP said:

It's hard to eliminate relationships.

So while they have had divergent paths over the years remember Polar was a colony of Pacifica and while they were separate at one time it was an attempt to have one alliance control multiple spheres.

My point though is that you set a cap on an AA. They just run 3 AA's. You set a cap on allied NS... First how? There is no in-game allies feature. Even if there was you just do it out of game. Refuse to attack each other and back each others wars unofficially.

I like that you are trying to come up with something but you can't stop people from being friends. You can't force people to fight each other.

It's really not. People will fight friends if there's enough of an impetus. In CN, it used to be the leaders had to hold the members  back and placate them with promises of future warring, now the leaders have to bug the members to log in and fight if at all and many don't participate, meaning all those pretty stats you see aren't reliable. It's just 1. The Game isn't that good and 2. people grow up and move on for the most part.  The guy who used to be willing to get on irc to blitz/coordinate is now the guy who says they're too busy to do it. The game relied on rank and file members being active enough and they aren't now.

The fact that it's persistent also leads to people playing too long-term minded.

There was a different game where it limited you to only being able to fight certain people at a given time. 

Edited by Monster

• 5 weeks later...

Most games don't last forever. I mean, I remember loving playing Quake multiplayer online back in the '90s. Nowadays it's not so much of a thing. This is pretty normal. People move on. If you like playing a game, enjoy it, that's great, but just be aware of reality. You can pop a single-player game back in twenty years later and play it like it's new, but multiplayer, you need people to play with and if they aren't there - or they're different people - then it's not the same as the game you remember.

• 5 months later...