The Real Issue facing CN

Dimitri

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a bit backwards. A seller can pretty easily grow out of selling at 6mil/200 without much of a delay at all, really not that much slower than they would with a 6mil/100 rate unless they're completely hopeless at back collecting. It's not that the higher rate increases supply in a direct way by creating more sellers, it creates more supply by having those sellers generate more product.

12 hours ago, Lucius Optimus said:

That's why you sell at the 6mil for 100 rate and 9mil/100t,  To help try energize smaller younger nations. The sorry lot that are left in that top 20% can either take responsibility for motivating new players or go home. 

I've got a nation that's just 45 days old. He already has the FAC. Just the promise of the 9mil/100tech  sale motivated him to his first wonder. And he is a great sub commander very active. 

The Imperial Entente Discord is always open if you want to talk . The world is only as dead as you make it.  And I don't care if the top 40% no longer cares. 

TIE Discord : 

https://discord.gg/WydyAKZ

The way I've went about my nation growth is focus on wonders, rather than rushing to go from a tech seller to a tech buyer.

At 20 days, I had my first wonder with FAC. 30 days later I had DRA, then 30 days later I bought MP. Now at 116 days old I have Disaster Relief Agency, Federal Aid Commission, Manhattan Project & Strategic Defense Initiative. So even selling tech at $9m/100t, I'm in no rush to move from being a tech seller. I think motivating nations to get military wonders (as well as FAC and DRA to bring in more money first) over making the jump past 5k infra is the way to go.

18 hours ago, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

If the player base ever shrinks to 250 nations, the top nation would be able to declare on a brand new nation. So I think less people matters and without the game mechanics changed to make things a little more competitive as the player base shrinks, I think less and less people will be motivated to play.

You make some good points, Noctis. If Admin worked to change some of the mechanics that could give new players more hope and improve retention. 

17 hours ago, Monster said:

Things don't matter now because people don't care.

I see your point and it's a good one. Better than just caring about the number of people for sure. However there are still some people that care and I'd still prefer people not spread their attitude of not caring which imo makes things even worse.

Also my main point with player base shrinking issue is it makes it very difficult for alliances who aren't already powerful in the upper tier to become a power house in the upper tier without changes to the game, making it much easier for newer alliances to focus on lower and mid tier strength rather than upper tier strength. As the mechanics are now, I think for an alliance to become powerful in the upper tier, they would need merge with an alliance who already has a strong upper tier or recruit a bunch of strong upper tier nations.

For alliances who don't already have a strong upper tier, building one up would be next to impossible. So I don't think alliances are gimping themselves when they put a focus on making their lower tier strong; rather than focusing mostly on increasing their upper tier to a NS level where they'll be outmatched completely.

Edited by Noctis Lucis Caelum

They aren't gimping themselves, they're creating a snowball race to the bottom scenario that sticks them with a lower tier they can't compete in against nations also in that tier with 3 year's worth of wonders that forces newer nations. It's created a giant incentive to stay tiny and never grow to a level with increased risk requiring increased skill becaise they can just sit at 3k NS, nuking whiny noobs that either quit or go on to do the exact same thing to even newer nations.

If anything, they're overpowering themselves and never pushing themselves to fight at their skill level. Understandable if you can't afford to accrue tech, but not healthy for a world that desperately needs newer nations to come and thrive.

7 minutes ago, Auctor said:

They aren't gimping themselves, they're creating a snowball race to the bottom scenario that sticks them with a lower tier they can't compete in against nations also in that tier with 3 year's worth of wonders that forces newer nations. It's created a giant incentive to stay tiny and never grow to a level with increased risk requiring increased skill becaise they can just sit at 3k NS, nuking whiny noobs that either quit or go on to do the exact same thing to even newer nations.

If anything, they're overpowering themselves and never pushing themselves to fight at their skill level. Understandable if you can't afford to accrue tech, but not healthy for a world that desperately needs newer nations to come and thrive.

I think if the alliances who make up the top rankings were to actually fight each other at times, it would be possible for others to compete better. Although when all of them have a NAP with each other basically, it does so anyone else who tries making it there just gets knocked down.

Also I'm not advocating nations stay at the bottom tiers on purpose, they should build up their mid/upper tiers somewhat. Its just trying to get a strong foothold in the top 250 rankings I think is very difficult, those who are already there have managed to gain such a strong foothold already; competing in the highest tiers is difficult.

I have no intention of staying in the lower tiers, although at the same time I realize I'm never going to be able to competitive in the top 250 nations unless I join an alliance willing to continue pumping my slots full of tech (much like DBDC had going for them)

At 117 days old and having not rebuilt my infra from the previous war yet, my nation is still in the top 51.61%. So its not like I'm keeping my nation in the lower tier so I don't need to compete with others.

Edited by Noctis Lucis Caelum

Personally I can't wait until we reach about 2500 players, simply so I can rogue someone like Themis or Cuba and take maybe 50 mil in damages and do tens of billions even with no tech nukes.

Well, they have raised the rates over the years for foreign aid... perhaps another bump is in store.

I often wondered if activity would bump if aid was unlimited

While I certainly think that would zap some activity on the planet, it would be at a cost of screwing over all the "by the rules" players who have kept the lights on... admin wouldn't go for it.

16 hours ago, Mogar said:

Personally I can't wait until we reach about 2500 players, simply so I can rogue someone like Themis or Cuba and take maybe 50 mil in damages and do tens of billions even with no tech nukes.

I'm sure before that happened, some changes would be brought in to prevent it.

I don't think removing the aid limits would be helpful, you'll just end up having alliances build supernations where all tech produced by the alliance is ploughed into one nation.

Negative aid so deals can complete instantly maybe the way to go, also some new form of production that is made by older players rather than new players to give the upper tiers something to strive for again.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lift caps on destruction in wars.  Make attacks do an uncapped % of infra/tech/land/money damage.  Destroy money spy ops should destroy and uncapped % of money.

Or, alternatively (implementing both of these would probably be too far), allow nations to be hit with more incoming wars/spy attacks/navy attacks/nukes dependent on their size.  Why do the biggest nations in the world only get to have 3 defensive slots, can only take 1 nuke per day, etc, same as the tiniest nobody state?  If you have a wider range of assets, you should expect a wider range of attacks.  You have a bigger land border to defend, after all, don't you?  Defensive slots, nukes you can eat, incoming spy attacks, and defensive navy ops should all be increased depending on the size of the nation.  More land should mean more incoming navy and war slots.  More tech and cash should make you a priority target for spies.  More infra means more cities in your nation that people might lob nukes at.

Make war expensive, make it hurt.  This game is stagnant because those at the top cannot be touched, not even by each other.

7 hours ago, HeroofTime55 said:

Lift caps on destruction in wars.  Make attacks do an uncapped % of infra/tech/land/money damage.  Destroy money spy ops should destroy and uncapped % of money.

Or, alternatively (implementing both of these would probably be too far), allow nations to be hit with more incoming wars/spy attacks/navy attacks/nukes dependent on their size.  Why do the biggest nations in the world only get to have 3 defensive slots, can only take 1 nuke per day, etc, same as the tiniest nobody state?  If you have a wider range of assets, you should expect a wider range of attacks.  You have a bigger land border to defend, after all, don't you?  Defensive slots, nukes you can eat, incoming spy attacks, and defensive navy ops should all be increased depending on the size of the nation.  More land should mean more incoming navy and war slots.  More tech and cash should make you a priority target for spies.  More infra means more cities in your nation that people might lob nukes at.

Make war expensive, make it hurt.  This game is stagnant because those at the top cannot be touched, not even by each other.

Ask Dulra if those at the top can be touched or not. 

• 3 weeks later...