Imperial Decree- New Polar Order

4 minutes ago, Monster said:

How did they kill the game when activity and player count were on a downwards spiral for a lot longer than that and wars were between coalitions that often half-assed  due to inactivity and failed to meet objectives? Like holy !@#$, this is the stupidest argument ever.  The game is dying because the players moved on with their lives and it's not attractive enough to newer people.  

I agree with you peace mode isn't whats killing the game (even if I agreed with him I don't think its a needed feature), its lack of updates from admin. When I see nations who have pips set, I just see the image not found icon.

With how much money and tech a lot of nations have accumulated, nations being limited still to only sending 100 tech per slot is pretty ridiculous. I think that should be at least 200t without FAC and 300t with FAC. Then $9m/300t deals would be more common.

Edited by Noctis Lucis Caelum

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

Not really, without peace mode alliances could just resort to other tactics. Such as hiding many of their nations among other AAs, while only keeping those ready to fight on their main. Its just with peace mode as a tool alliances can use, of course they will use it and it does drag wars out extra long.

Ask SPATR how well that strat worked.

7 minutes ago, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

I agree with you peace mode isn't whats killing the game (even if I agreed with him I don't think its a needed feature), its lack of updates from admin. When I see nations who have pip set, I just see the image not found icon.

With how much money and tech a lot of nations have accumulated, nations being limited still to only sending 100 tech per slot is pretty ridiculous. I think that should be at least 200t without FAC and 300t with FAC. Then $9m/300t deals would be more common.

I was talking about superblocs and 10 v 1 beat downs as he put it. Obviously he's bitter over MI6, but lol. It's just there's no reason for me to logically put the hours into shepherding inactives in a coalition when there's little animosity or things to fight over when the inactivity in this world is so bad. For a long time, I had the objective of keeping NPO down and the Disorder War presented an opportunity to do it and the reason was I thought it would be bad for us NPO to do well due our historical animosity. Few others were invested in keeping NPO down since they wrote it off due to NPO being low tech at the time and cared more about TOP/IRON while at the same time not actually wanting to do either of those themselves.  So we pushed it and got a moderate resolution with the terms since our side's ability to keep them down due to the massive low-mid tier was limited in part due to inactivity, but it was clear there was no longer any momentum for further warring on them and NPO put the effort into resolving the animosity, so there was no longer any reason to want to fight them.

Edited by Monster

6 minutes ago, Monster said:

I was talking about superblocs and 10 v 1 beat downs as he put it. Obviously he's bitter over MI6, but lol. It's just there's no reason for me to logically put the hours into shepherding inactives in a coalition when there's little animosity or things to fight over when the inactivity in this world is so bad. For a long time, I had the objective of keeping NPO down and the Disorder War presented an opportunity to do it and the reason was I thought it would be bad for us NPO to do well due our historical animosity. No one else was invested in keeping NPO down since they wrote it off due to NPO being low tech and cared more about TOP/IRON while at the same time not actually wanting to do either of those themselves.  So we pushed it and got a moderate resolution with the terms, but it was clear there was no longer any momentum for further warring on them and NPO put the effort into resolving the animosity, so there as no longer any reason to want to fight them.

Are you sure there aren't any potential rifts within Oculus? With each one having allies of their own who might try pulling them in different directions and dislike certain Oculus alliance, I think it would be a mistake to be content to think there aren't still those out there who do want overthrow the status quo. Since you and NPO seem pretty close these days, I doubt its them you need to worry about as long as you plan to stick by them.

I think with the how the game is going, now more alliances are willing to take bigger risks in order to cause big changes in the status quo; rather than fade away quietly into the night. So being overly content that everything is rosy and there aren't alliances out there still who want to see action would be a mistake.

7 minutes ago, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

DBDC pulled it off pretty successfully though.

I'm sure that their changing of AAs, and not the fact that have 1/10th of the world's land and 1/40th of the world's tech between the 12 of them is the reason they were so successful.

Just now, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

Are you sure there aren't any potential rifts within Oculus? With each one having allies of their own who might try pulling them in different directions and dislike certain Oculus alliance, I think it would be a mistake to be content to think there aren't still those out there who do want overthrow the status quo. Since you and NPO seem pretty close these days, I doubt its them you need to worry about as long as you plan to stick by them.

I think with the how the game is going, now more alliances are willing to take bigger risks in order to causing big changes in the status quo; rather than fade away quietly into the night. So being overly content that everything is rosy and there aren't alliances out there still who want to see action would be a mistake.

They can try to overthrow it. I doubt anyone would care though at this point. I barely do.

If they can muster the activity, then I'll be impressed. Every coalition war takes hours of work and constant planning. If they could even maintain staggers on anyone, it'd be a true feat.

Just now, Blackatron said:

I'm sure that their changing of AAs, and not the fact that have 1/10th of the world's land and 1/40th of the world's tech between the 12 of them is the reason they were so successful.

They always kept their lower tier on proxy AAs and people recognized those as separate alliances. DBDC members who were below a certain NS were always asked to move to one of their many Doom lower tier alliances.

Just now, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

They always kept their lower tier on proxy AAs and people recognized those as separate alliances. DBDC members who were below a certain NS were always asked to move to one of their many Doom lower tier alliances.

Ah I see more of what you mean.

Still respectfully disagree however, they kept their tech sellers split across multiple AAs which were protected by others. After all NpO didn't care what alliance DBDC tech farms were on during the Doom War, it didn't work out for them.

6 hours ago, Monster said:

How did they kill the game when activity and player count were on a downwards spiral for a lot longer than that and wars were between coalitions that often half-assed  due to inactivity and failed to meet objectives? Like holy !@#$, this is the stupidest argument ever.  The game is dying because the players moved on with their lives and it's not attractive enough to newer people.  2 of the Oculus alliances disbanded even and I'm sure more will and it had nothing to do with people being bored with the politics. 

Oculus is not specifically the super block I am referring to, it just happens to be the one that exists now. I've hated large block politics and the ridiculousness of the treaty web for far longer than the current iteration has been around. It leads to boring wars (curbstomps,) a lack of real drama, and contributed to the death of our world. As far as I am concerned, and you are free to disagree, our political choices have lead to apathy, boredom, and a lack of creativity. No one gives a rats ass enough to do anything about it, thus our world as it exists now. 

This is much less about MI6 than you think it is, though that !@#$ show was probably the final nail in my particular coffin of giving any $%&@s. When you have the vast majority of the nation strength in the world allied to one another, with no one caring enough to challenge the status quo, it just exacerbates the death spiral. 

21 minutes ago, Mogar said:

To add to that, why even bother attempting to challenge, last people who even hinted towards that got rolled into disbandment.

If you are defeatist why not just call it quits?  Join another alliance, start a revolution from within, sign a treaty, there are lots of things to do.  Polar did some things and is now doing some things, you might not like our choices, but we made choices.  So far all you have done is whinge about those choices.  Make some of your own that actually improve your own position even if those choices mean changing something as fundamental as the existence of your own alliance.

12 minutes ago, AlmightyGrub said:

If you are defeatist why not just call it quits?  Join another alliance, start a revolution from within, sign a treaty, there are lots of things to do.  Polar did some things and is now doing some things, you might not like our choices, but we made choices.  So far all you have done is whinge about those choices.  Make some of your own that actually improve your own position even if those choices mean changing something as fundamental as the existence of your own alliance.

It's not as though we aren't going to be signing treaties over the coming weeks, but you know damn well you can't break up Oculus even if you did make a good effort of choosing a side within Oculus, the only way things are going to change is when IRON, NPO or Umbrella decide they want it to change.

1 hour ago, Mogar said:

It's not as though we aren't going to be signing treaties over the coming weeks, but you know damn well you can't break up Oculus even if you did make a good effort of choosing a side within Oculus, the only way things are going to change is when IRON, NPO or Umbrella decide they want it to change.

You know I have heard the same thing before about WUT and Toilet Seat and several other coalitions but none of those exist today.  There is too much fatalism and not enough actual action.

Just now, AlmightyGrub said:

You know I have heard the same thing before about WUT and Toilet Seat and several other coalitions but none of those exist today.  There is too much fatalism and not enough actual action.

If people weren't too busy trying to play other games maybe there'd be more action here, but alas.

3 minutes ago, AlmightyGrub said:

Excuses are like arseholes.

I'm curious to hear your idea of how to make people give a !@#$ about this game, Roq said it himself, basically nobody cares.

Edited by Mogar

13 minutes ago, Mogar said:

I'm curious to hear your idea of how to make people give a !@#$ about this game, Roq said it himself, basically nobody cares.

As previously stated, if you no longer see a viable solution, look harder or just give up.  It is not the job of the active and motivated to drag the rest of the world along with them.  It is not like nothing is happening, there are wars continually evolving and erupting.  What more motivation do you need than being rolled?

Things are indeed tough to get going, and many alliances are simply too inactive to disband, but there is still an awful lot of tech dealing going on for something that is supposedly dead and buried.  Maybe if your mates don't care it is time for some new mates?

The world could do without 100 of the current alliances, shuffle and merge and re-unite under different banners.  It is all within your capability if you wish to do so.  I suspect that you think hanging on to RIA as it slowly dies a horrible death as more important than creating something vibrant.  Maybe you need look no further than yourself and those around you for the solutions?

7 minutes ago, AlmightyGrub said:

As previously stated, if you no longer see a viable solution, look harder or just give up.  It is not the job of the active and motivated to drag the rest of the world along with them.  It is not like nothing is happening, there are wars continually evolving and erupting.  What more motivation do you need than being rolled?

Things are indeed tough to get going, and many alliances are simply too inactive to disband, but there is still an awful lot of tech dealing going on for something that is supposedly dead and buried.  Maybe if your mates don't care it is time for some new mates?

The world could do without 100 of the current alliances, shuffle and merge and re-unite under different banners.  It is all within your capability if you wish to do so.  I suspect that you think hanging on to RIA as it slowly dies a horrible death as more important than creating something vibrant.  Maybe you need look no further than yourself and those around you for the solutions?

I never said I was going to give up, but you apparently see even your own allies as far more active than they actually are in reality. There is not significant wars breaking out continually unless you count micro drama, which most do not.

There is not all that much tech dealing going on compared to what could be, most alliances are averaging 20-30% slot usage. I can completely agree that a lot of alliances should disband, but we both know that's not going to happen.  You seem to be going out of your war in attempting to make this personal when beyond a few outlying alliances nearly everyone is significantly inactive, it has nothing to do with my particular mates, your own are just as inactive, have you looked at MHA lately?

44 minutes ago, Mogar said:

If people weren't too busy trying to play other games maybe there'd be more action here, but alas.

To the contrary. The issue is this is a 10 year old planet where the stats matter and the gaps between nations are too big and the more active like people like yourself are a tiny minority and often do not have statistical heft themselves. Nation rulers who grew in size and weren't hardcore junkies gradually gravitated to just maintenance rather than wanting to actually do things. It is a mere keepsake for many. Action happens when there are enough people who are willing to fight the wars and urge it.  The leaders are ultimately not able to make people press the buttons if they aren't willing to roll out. Like update availability would be pretty high up there, almost no one is willing to do it in this day and age. If everyone was willing to roll out at a moment's notice, then you'd probably have seen more action in recent years. Any war at this point is people trying to get blood out of a stone and will be comical in how little gets done or if it did get done it'd be at a snail's pace like the MONGOLS war and not that exciting.

Maybe Grub's suggestion that you pool actives together could work, but are there that many left? I'm not so optimistic.

Any setting where the individual's statistics do not matter and new people can step in is much more vibrant.

Edited by Monster

I think if Oculus was up for a challenge; there would still be an interesting war they could pursue if they fought Doom for control of the upper tiers. Better to declare and make those nations fight, rather than have all that nation building go to waste by letting them delete out of boredom instead.

I don't think Oculus can really claim supremacy while Doom still dominates the upper tiers, so as long as Oculus avoids fighing DBDC; its an open question on who really is the strongest. So its not like there isn't anyone left from the outside who could challenge Oculus. Oculus seemed like it was made as a counter to Doom, who seemed to be the hegemony for a while since they could wipe out the upper tiers of each major alliance one at a time unopposed. Although the fight between the two never happened, instead Oculus ended up just taking on SPATR and Mongols; who had recently broken away from Doom.

So I think it would anti-climatic if everybody gives up out of apathy before even trying to have a fight over upper tier dominance.

2 hours ago, Mogar said:

I never said I was going to give up, but you apparently see even your own allies as far more active than they actually are in reality. There is not significant wars breaking out continually unless you count micro drama, which most do not.

There is not all that much tech dealing going on compared to what could be, most alliances are averaging 20-30% slot usage. I can completely agree that a lot of alliances should disband, but we both know that's not going to happen.  You seem to be going out of your war in attempting to make this personal when beyond a few outlying alliances nearly everyone is significantly inactive, it has nothing to do with my particular mates, your own are just as inactive, have you looked at MHA lately?

I am not the one complaining, you are.  I acknowledge that some of my allies are inactive...but at least they wake up when we call.  MHA has launched quite a few wars versus sparta, they may be quiet but they are still capable of something.

This is not personal, I am merely meeting your assumptions with suggestions as to how you could view things differently.  It will take a mind shift to accomplish, but it is well within anyone's grasp to do so.  This horse!@#$ about Oc controlling the world is exactly that, they do what they want because no one does anything at all, let alone to stop them.  Last time the odds were not in the world's favour people did something about it and discovered that they could overcome.  That movement had some inspirational leadership and some good planning, are you saying that no one will step up now and take that role?  Too many people pissing around instead of formulating a plan and actioning it.

There is a lot to be said for adopting a more medium term view, not everything has to be accomplished in a month or two.

Brief guide to making CN great again.

1. The greatest is the servant of all.

If you aren't in govt to serve, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Compared to most RL organizations, there is alot of privilege, power and authority that goes with CN govt, and alot of people don't know how to handle it.

The baton of command is not to be used to bash down people you dislike, or start wars for irrational purposes. There is no better way to squander prosperity and set your people back than to start fruitless wars.

2. Do the right thing.

If you don't believe in your decisions as a govt leader, neither will your membership. "It is better to walk the straight road, though hedged with swords, than to take the easier but twisted path."

Once you start on the path of joke CB's and rogue interference, strife never ceases and your cash on hand will continuously hemorrhage until you become a failed state.

3. Focus on the small stuff.

Trade circles, tech deals, military readiness... the foundation of a strong alliance is built piece by piece. Leave behind Machiavellian plots and deal with the smaller problems your members face day to day.

4. Respect and cooperation.

Respect and cooperation begins with recognizing the sovereignty of other alliances. As soon as you start to meddle in other alliances internal affairs, strife will never cease with them.

5. Govern with standards

"In the days of commercial sailing transport, a sailor could go down to the waterfront[...] If employed, he would know by the time the ship reached the harbour entrance what the trip would be like. A well maintained ship with tight rigging was quiet. This was a reflection of a firm, well organised captain, a well disiplined and hard working crew. The captain was respected. Conversly, a noisy ship was creaking and groaning, because it had loose rigging etc. It was not maintained. The captain on a noisy ship had various faults, did not control the crew and was not respected by the crew. Although the crew on the "Tight Ship" were always occupied maintaining it they were not unhappy. They did not have time for petty disputes to develop amongst crew members."

Congrats! Now you can do your part to make our world better.

Edited by Immortan Junka

22 hours ago, Immortan Junka said:

Brief guide to making CN great again.

You forgot the most important advice I've been given since becoming King of Aevrum by friendly alliance leaders, "Just avoid taking advice from Immortan Junka, you'll be fine."

I think if all alliances thought like GPA and only focused on internal stuff, it would make for a boring world. It works for some alliances and some of the things you say make sense, but much like Confucianism its a mixed bag of advice. Doing the right thing of course makes sense, however being so focused on the small stuff you can't see the big picture would be foolish. (Especially for those who rise to leader ranks in alliances who play a big role in the broader politics of the world)

If all the big alliance leaders started thinking small, I don't think it would make CN great again.