Player of the Year 2016

Sephiroth

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never choose anybody for the greatest impact, because the greatest impact players are always the least well known, if they're semi-intelligent and they usually are. Fame is usually only sought by those who can have an impact in no other way. 

And impact on whom? Do we go on sheer NS or number of players? 

It's the same reason that the "Best Picture" Oscar rarely makes any sense. The only real votes that matter come from dollars, not the Academy. Just like the only numbers that matter are casualties, because everything else is just a means to that end.

I'm not trying to sound bias- but did any other micro abuse NPO and walk away without a scratch?

Does any other micro own the #11 and #12 casualties position?

Edited by Lord Hitchcock

4 minutes ago, Lord Hitchcock said:

I'm not trying to sound bias- but did any other micro abuse NPO and walk away without a scratch?

I'll take No One Cares for $500, Alex.

30 minutes ago, Lord Hitchcock said:

Does the wolf bother himself with the flea aside from an occasional scratch? The fact that you prattle on so much pretty much removes you from contention. If you had a real impact, you would not need to.

And casualties are only my measure of value, and aren't even a real measure of power. I don't value power on this world. Which is convenient, because I don't have any. You're barely a blip higher on that scale. An ant that trumpets his ability to bite the elephant. One errant step, and the bite is no more.

That's what Junka and Seph never understand, either. A little modesty makes power far more scary, since it implies that you have the ability to use it well. Seeking constant validation means you aren't even in control of your own mind, let alone anything else.

1 minute ago, Duderonomy said:

Does the wolf bother himself with the flea aside from an occasional scratch? The fact that you prattle on so much pretty much removes you from contention. If you had a real impact, you would not need to.

And casualties are only my measure of value, and aren't even a real measure of power. I don't value power on this world. Which is convenient, because I don't have any. You're barely a blip higher on that scale. An ant that trumpets his ability to bite the elephant. One errant step, and the bite is no more.

That's what Junka and Seph never understand, either. A little modesty makes power far more scary, since it implies that you have the ability to use it well. Seeking constant validation means you aren't even in control of your own mind, let alone anything else.

We control enough of Bob that we are content. If you find this false, step into my office 

51 minutes ago, Duderonomy said:

I would never choose anybody for the greatest impact, because the greatest impact players are always the least well known, if they're semi-intelligent and they usually are. Fame is usually only sought by those who can have an impact in no other way. 

And impact on whom? Do we go on sheer NS or number of players? 

It's the same reason that the "Best Picture" Oscar rarely makes any sense. The only real votes that matter come from dollars, not the Academy. Just like the only numbers that matter are casualties, because everything else is just a means to that end.

I don't think there is anything wrong with different people having a different idea of who the player of the year is or why they choose a certain way. Someone could be player of the year because of either many different reasons or one big reason.

Player of the Year is a snapshot of the moment, so I don't think one metric could be used to determine a winner each time, since it is largely sentiment based & not so mechanical as to be decided by a single reason. If 5 people vote for someone for 5 completely different reasons, that's as effective as getting 5 votes for 1 really good reason.

14 minutes ago, Lord Hitchcock said:

We control enough of Bob that we are content. If you find this false, step into my office 

And your actual impact is still close to zero, while clownish puffery occupies your time.

I must decline because I plan to fight my current foes until my nation is a crumbling ruin. I hope that they prove worthy enough to send me on my way. While my people would never be part of The Valhalla, surely a real Valhalla awaits them.

15 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Come the end of the year, people will mostly be thinking about things which occur towards the end. Right now everything which has happened from January through April is still fresh in people's minds at least. People already have 1/3rd of the year to base their nominations. If we let people adjust or add their nominations for another 1/3rd of the year & have a vote in August or September; then someone would be Player of the Year for a third of the Year.

Dude. Dude. Dude dude dude dude dude.

It's only April

1 hour ago, The Pansy said:

Is there a point to this thread, it's Grub.

I second.  Vote 1 Grub.

First thou select 1 Grub. Then thou must vote 1. 1 shall be the number of the voting and the number of the voting shall be 1. 4 shalt thou not vote, neither shalt thou vote 2, excepting that thou then recedeth to 1. 5 is right out. Once the number 1, being the number of the voting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Grub in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

1 hour ago, Lord Hitchcock said:

M Inc never sleeps

On 4/25/2016 at 10:58 PM, Auctor said:

I'll take No One Cares for $500, Alex.

You're making this too easy.

I'm a fan of Minc.  Every hero needs a Lowsten.

If LH wants to be that to Grub, more power to him.

Edited by hartfw

6 hours ago, hartfw said:

I'm a fan of Minc.  Every hero needs a Lowsten.

If LH wants to be that to Grub, more power to him.

One day Hartw, I want you to take me under your wing like you did Auctor (although I feel like I am much smarter than he was in his humble beginnings)