Player of the Year 2016

Sephiroth

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, gowfanatic said:

perhaps do it similar to the yearly awards thread,  in which people are nominated. After a certain amount of time for nominations, then make a poll based on that. 

This would work better

Sure this may be a little pre-mature, and a little attention seeking. Though I must say, it's refreshing to see someone actually take initiative, and post. If you don't like it, it's your fault for not contributing more, not the person who is contributing. In a world where I can pick up a controller, say 'xbox on', and be playing a match in starwars battlefront in under two minutes, it's nice to nice to see an online political game, actually have people posting (even if it's drivel, or unimportant), it shows new players that there is still room to play this game. 

1 hour ago, Alonso Quixano said:

Sure this may be a little pre-mature, and a little attention seeking. Though I must say, it's refreshing to see someone actually take initiative, and post. If you don't like it, it's your fault for not contributing more, not the person who is contributing. In a world where I can pick up a controller, say 'xbox on', and be playing a match in starwars battlefront in under two minutes, it's nice to nice to see an online political game, actually have people posting (even if it's drivel, or unimportant), it shows new players that there is still room to play this game. 

Can we take that as you seconding my nomination for Sephiroth?

14 hours ago, Sabcat said:

Can we take that as you seconding my nomination for Sephiroth?

If he won't and we're doing seconds I'll second both Sephiroth and Caustic and I'd second Alexios picks if they hadn't already been seconded.

On 4/23/2016 at 3:39 AM, Sephiroth said:

Player of the Year for 2015/1016. Nominate those you want see included, you can only nominate up to 3 people or nominate 1 person 3 times. (No nominating yourself either)

How do you define "Player of the Year"?  Based on what definition?  It makes a difference in who I would nominate.

9 minutes ago, White Chocolate said:

How do you define "Player of the Year"?  Based on what definition?  It makes a difference in who I would nominate.

I agree. The net is far too wide and subjective for the OWF. It will always depend on your AA's values and your sphere.

That's why I always liked Ying Yang Mafia's semi-serious awards at NG. Diplo of the Year didn't always go to the most liked or most influential, but the diplo that put up with the most hostility. Of course, I did win spamposter twice in a row, which makes me biased.

On 4/23/2016 at 7:47 AM, Neo Uruk said:

Dude it's literally April

Come the end of the year, people will mostly be thinking about things which occur towards the end. Right now everything which has happened from January through April is still fresh in people's minds at least. People already have 1/3rd of the year to base their nominations. If we let people adjust or add their nominations for another 1/3rd of the year & have a vote in August or September; then someone would be Player of the Year for a third of the Year.

I don't think anyone cares who the player of the year was for 2015, so waiting to begin nominating people until this should already be decided upon isn't the way to go. Maybe more people will take bold actions to make themselves stand out if they are aware people are giving thought into who the player of the year is.

5 hours ago, Duderonomy said:

I agree. The net is far too wide and subjective for the OWF. It will always depend on your AA's values and your sphere.

That's why I always liked Ying Yang Mafia's semi-serious awards at NG. Diplo of the Year didn't always go to the most liked or most influential, but the diplo that put up with the most hostility. Of course, I did win spamposter twice in a row, which makes me biased.

As for the definition, I agree it is broad and subjective. Although I don't think it is to broad for the OWF. An individual you think has had the biggest impact or generated the most interest among the community are good ways of thinking of it. Influence, accomplishments & other factors can all play into it; however lets look at Time Magazine's Person of the Year criteria for an example,

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year until 1999) is an annual issue of the United States news magazine Time that features and profiles a person, group, idea or object that "for better or for worse...has done the most to influence the events of the year"

I would expect people to choose someone who's done the most to influence events & caused a lot of waves, rather than someone who could make bigger waves if they really wanted to; but instead choose not to use their influence. So I think actions which generate interest matter more than being liked or being the most influential.

Edited by Sephiroth