Favorite Global Wars?

Sephiroth

Great War III was a blast. It was the biggest and baddest war. I was in Legion at the time and it was a total clusterfuck, but in the best ways - those of us who were active and in mid-level positions basically ran the alliance through the complete and utter chaos/panic of the alliance. It was a bonding experience for us all. I am friends with many of those people to this day. We had the /b/ attacks, we had total chaos. It was the war that set the path of the rest of the game - the first with crippling reparations, the first with forced disbandments, etc. Anyone who was here can remember how crazy and huge it was. No war has ever come as close. And no war has ever really been as closely fought as it was. God, that was an awesome war.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd agree Karma was more defining in CN's history, but it was also more lop-sided. For the losers ( which I was on the losing side ), we went into to knowing we had 0 chance what-so-ever. So we don't remember it very fondly. (tho it was still fun)

Ironically we weren't sure we would win in the beginning so Archon and I kept on trying to blow it outwards more and more to bring in more NS (which is why it got so lopsided).  I enjoyed it from a planning standpoint since it was the first time ghost DoW's had been utilized to make ridiculous chains (and showing how ridiculous treaties are in general).

BiPolar would have been the most fun had polar not reversed course, because from an NS standpoint it was going to be the most even war in history.  When grub did what he did then I lost a large desire to play the game because I knew it was just going to be curbstomps forever more than likely.  Karma was the most fun because of the level of anticipation and activity across the cyberverse.  

Equilibrium had the potential. The top down strategy would have "won" us the war over a long period of time if we had followed it, but I don't think allies and OTPs would have been willing to sit in peace mode that whole time and we basically won it anyway, even though we surrendered, due to the tech advantage.

BiPolar would have been more interesting had Polar not flipped.

GWIII or Karma, probably, then.

Can't say I have been in too many of them. I 'think' when I first started playing FAN was at war (i could be wrong- because I wasn't paying attention at the time).

My thought process when listening to other world wars (outside of the Doom war- which I remember), is that I regret not finding planet bob sooner. As I have 'heard' that there were over 1000 nations in an alliance at one point... and 100 man alliances were considered 'a micro'... and to me, that's just impossible to fathem.

And on that note- I'd imagine the 06-07 times were really when this place rocked as it was more of a 'race' to the top and all players were 'new' at the time. Unlike into today's world where you're either new and non-impactful, or old and grumpy.

The best story I've every heard was (I think) a polar guy going on and dropping a bunch of secret logs that kicked off a shit show of a war. I guess that was the turn in CN history.

GW III, man. Nothing else since then like it. You posted on these forums at your peril and the first Hegemony (World Unity Treaty) was the most diverse treaty group before or since.

\m/ fought WAPA, beat them handily, and disbanded them...made them merge with us, and sixty days later, sent them on their way with a treaty and a bond that lasted for years.

Though if we are going to talk small scale, Ivanelterrible soloing GATO and winning was the cleanest and most noble fight I ever saw.

Edited by Margrave

Karma. I felt like everything before it was just leading up to that moment. The world as a whole has been in decline ever since.

I also always get amused when folks on the other side say that they knew they were going to get rolled and that it was lop-sided. As someone who was in those high-gov backchannels, I can tell you that in the weeks and days leading up to it, we were certain that we were going to lose and lose badly. It wasn't until the hours leading up to it that we felt more confident ... AFTER a handful of parties finally decided which side they were going to fall on.

Karma. I felt like everything before it was just leading up to that moment. The world as a whole has been in decline ever since.

I also always get amused when folks on the other side say that they knew they were going to get rolled and that it was lop-sided. As someone who was in those high-gov backchannels, I can tell you that in the weeks and days leading up to it, we were certain that we were going to lose and lose badly. It wasn't until the hours leading up to it that we felt more confident ... AFTER a handful of parties finally decided which side they were going to fall on.

You mean TORN?

GW3 - Awesome fun, hacking into Electron Sponge, Random and King Penchuck plus  good friendships developed with enemies like Sponge and Mpol and the ''complete'' nature of the war.  Has to be the best.  I agree we have been chasing that feeling every since and it will never happen.

UJW - This should have been really close but someone(Virillus) got confused and all hell broke loose.  \m/ disbanding rather than negotiating still a personal highlight.  Made me proud to be Polar, that feeling never went away.

Bi-Polar - Genuinely the most interesting cards ever played.  I understand why people hated me/it, but it was so outrageous I still can't believe I did it.  Should have led to a better long term outcome but things changed as they always do.  Archon disappearing/Random taking over NpO was the turning point.

BLEU -NADC is my personal favourite war though.  Such rampant destruction in such a short period.  So many nations anarchied before update.  And the best tears since \m/.  No wonder they hate us.

UJP - I was wronged by NpO, betrayed by TPF and OcUK.

War of the Coalition - I got my vengeance on NpO and OcUK.

Karma - I get to kick TPF's ass (yay).

BiPolar - I was backstabbed by NpO.

PB-NpO - Exacted my vengeance on NpO and kicked TPF's ass (again!).

Grudge War - Knocked skulls with NpO again for the bad boys that they are.  Too bad TPF was on another front and I did not get to personally kick their ass yet again, but someone else sure did.  It felt almost as good, almost.

Equilibrium War - It was fun, in a sense that it required efforts.  For once, I was required to bring my A game to coordinate, timing, and communication with other people to rise above the odds.  Boys we sure did beat the odds.  The enemy threw waves after waves of Zerglings at us, and we held fast with an army of Ultralisks.  Too bad the war ended a bit too early in my opinion.  

Nothing brings together a community and increases activity than a losing war.  In that sense, UPJ, Bipolar and Equilibrium are my favorite.  The rush that immediately followed the realization that we're in deep !@#$, the palpable gurgling of activities on IRC, and the efforts afterward to repair what's left and moving forward.  

Edited by Zero-One