Game time while server down

Ghuxalia

According to [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/127713-cn-game-status/?p=3416816]this post[/url], the game will be down for the next few days. Will time continue to pass in-game, or will it be frozen until the game is up again?

I can answer the inactivity part of the question. If a nations goes into inactivity then when you log back into the nation it becomes active.

Yeah, but you can't receive aid or declare war.  Seems a bit rich in the middle of a war.

You only enter inactivity mode after not logging in for 30 days, if I remember correctly.

As such, if this outage only lasts a few days I doubt many nations will be sent to inactivity mode. If it lasts long enough for a significant number of nations to enter inactivity mode then I think we will have more pressing issues to worry about.

This sets a bad precedent for future wars (not this one), since everybody knows now, DDoS the servers in middle of the war, run to peace mode. It's a dangerous precedent to set and we as a community should not passively encourage that. 

Just an idea, peace mode should be disabled for 24 hours of servers being back up for nations *not* in pm already. 

You're all welcome to share ways to address and minimize any unfair game-play advantages due to this extraordinary event. 

Edited by shahenshah

I believe precedent has already been set during the crisis in 2007 with DDoSing being done and game being offline and the game just continued where it is when it comes back online and there is no rollback to prior DDoS.

We can give it a refresher in everyone's mind after 8 years, or atleast *attempt* to address it and discuss ways to address it, mine is just one suggestion. Sitting and doing nothing about is purely in my personal, opinion, the worst option, it will only encourage this kind of behavior for anyone wanting to gain unfair advantage in future wars. 

Not accusing anyone in current war, just saying, anyone in future can connect the dots and go for it. 

Edited by shahenshah

We aren't sitting doing nothing. As admin stated in the other thread he is installing and configuring better DDoS protection being suggested by his server host and the game will be down till at least Friday. Until he is completed and the changes are propagated throughout the Internet there is nothing any of us can do but wait.

We aren't sitting doing nothing. As admin stated in the other thread he is installing and configuring better DDoS protection being suggested by his server host and the game will be down till at least Friday. Until he is completed and the changes are propagated throughout the Internet there is nothing any of us can do but wait.

I appreciate what is being done, I'm speaking in context of what can be done to ensure no side gains any advantage due to this in-game. I also believe no one will have any issues in ensuring a fair play. DDoS protections may or may not work on the other hand, hopefully they do, but to have a mechanism to ensure no unfair play occurs after the attack will give less incentives to anyone in future to influence in game actions. 

Edited by shahenshah

I'm not sure what harm is done by pausing game time. On the othe hand I can see a lot of scope for abuse by not pausing. For example say the perpetrators turn off the ddos for an hour, tell all their buddies to attack and then bring the game down again. With the current ruling those attacks would stand.

I'm not sure what harm is done by pausing game time. On the othe hand I can see a lot of scope for abuse by not pausing. For example say the perpetrators turn off the ddos for an hour, tell all their buddies to attack and then bring the game down again. With the current ruling those attacks would stand.

Given your affiliation to one side in the current war, its unacceptable to suggest the other side of the war are the perpetrators.

Its just as likely to be a random attack or even the people who used tech multi farms.

Given your affiliation to one side in the current war, its unacceptable to suggest the other side of the war are the perpetrators.

Its just as likely to be a random attack or even the people who used tech multi farms.

Perpetrators of the DDoS attack, not the war itself....

And who are you to decide what is unacceptable or acceptable for people to post?

If the game will really be down till Friday, I believe it is only fair to disable entering to Peace Mode for a few days when it comes back on. Not doing so would give the underdog party a free pass to hippe which can be done in a click. It takes infinitely less time to do that than it takes the other side to pick up the pieces and arrange for staggers, and by Friday many current wars will have expired.

Perpetrators of the DDoS attack, not the war itself....

And who are you to decide what is unacceptable or acceptable for people to post?

Either you can't read or being intentionally ignorant, he mentioned the perpetrators turning it off to arrange and commence attacks in the war. He is from IRON, so it isn't hard to work out who he's blaming.

Oh so using the DDoS attack to blame the other side for criminal damages and pointing fingers is acceptable? Your bridge is missing its troll.

This sets a bad precedent for future wars (not this one), since everybody knows now, DDoS the servers in middle of the war, run to peace mode. It's a dangerous precedent to set and we as a community should not passively encourage that. 

Just an idea, peace mode should be disabled for 24 hours of servers being back up for nations *not* in pm already. 

You're all welcome to share ways to address and minimize any unfair game-play advantages due to this extraordinary event. 

I just want to quickly address this as FA of MI6. I've heard the rumors that we're somehow responsible for this, and we've gotten a few angry, "Good job, assholes" messages. I want to explicitly state that MI6 has exactly nothing to do with this. MI6, including TPF, has been greatly enjoying this war and has no reason to take the game down over it, nor would any of us be willing to step into criminal action simply to protect some pixels. That is a very serious incinuation, and I want to stop it in it's tracks here. Frankly, the nations we have in PM and have been ordering into PM are already upset enough that we won't let them continuously fight. I'm sure most of our members would sign a petition to prevent PM.

This sucks for all of us. Hopefully it ends soon and we can get back to warring.

I just want to quickly address this as FA of MI6. I've heard the rumors that we're somehow responsible for this, and we've gotten a few angry, "Good job, !@#$%^&" messages. I want to explicitly state that MI6 has exactly nothing to do with this. MI6, including TPF, has been greatly enjoying this war and has no reason to take the game down over it, nor would any of us be willing to step into criminal action simply to protect some pixels. That is a very serious incinuation, and I want to stop it in it's tracks here. Frankly, the nations we have in PM and have been ordering into PM are already upset enough that we won't let them continuously fight. I'm sure most of our members would sign a petition to prevent PM.

This sucks for all of us. Hopefully it ends soon and we can get back to warring.

You know I said specifically:  "Not this one", I am not accusing Mi6 or STA or TPF and I wouldnt. I have no proof for that accusation and I wont make that accusation. My point remains that the people in future do not find the scheme for exploitation. Who knows, maybe in next war, we're on the receiving end, but I would'nt want any of the IRONers to run here and there due to some extraordinary event, it applies, equally, to all of us. I'm not trying to be partisan here and due to my AA, I should'nt automatically be percieved partisan although that would be a simpler stance to adopt, in this part of the forum, we arent in war, but are colleagues in the same game and community. If my wording appeared any bit partisan, I take them back now, I'm in no way accusing anyone, but trying to discuss a way so people do not scheme this into some in-game exploitation in future. 

Hope that clarifies,

Thanks

Edited by shahenshah

I didn't suggest either side where. I was talking hypothetically. Actually read my posts in future.