Ramblings from the Imperial Rocking Chair

Dajobo

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one in the hegemony can do anything without Pacifica signing off on it.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. Whilst we certainly have the influence to try and stop a very large number of scenarios and wars, and have done so, each use of that influence degrades it. Our "power" as it were would slip away rather fast if we blocked everything and everyone. And in the first place NPO isn't really interested in being a world police that stops anything we dislike from someone connected to us.

So inevitably that means there will be stuff where we don't care enough or don't see it as worth it to spend a finite amount of time and influence on. But that is no more "signing off" on it than you not calling the police on your neighbours late night loud partying.

How do you attack the people you will need and not pay for it later?

Too many leaders, past and present, have not paid heed to this question. Including yourself, at a time.

Being retired is both fascinating and frustrating. Once you go out to pasture people are more comfortable to share info with you. At the same time, you have the info and have lost the ability to really use it!

Without ratting people out though or betraying the confidence of those who have told me stuff, planet Bob is getting seriously interesting.

Right now there are more alliances playing the ‘long’ game than I have ever seen before! Ironic given the state of decline our population is in and the pessimism many of us feel for the future. Far and wide there is open and honest acceptance that the ruling coalition is too big, and cant last long term.

Within that coalition there are multiple factions. Pacifica heads the list as ruling the largest of these and as the central lynch pin. No one in the hegemony can do anything without Pacifica signing off on it. I’ve seen people suggest that Pacifica is lining up DBDC for later. It’s a load of bunkem. Pacifica has no reason or desire to tangle with DBDC. DBDC are like the rest of the alliances in the blob who can’t move without NPO’s ok and while individually huge, collectively are far too small to be a danger.

The other factions I won’t name, I’m not going to be accused of trying to drive a wedge. They exist though and they are the reason this world is getting interesting. Several of them have talked to me and they are all in the same boat, trying to tow the line now while preparing for the future. The common belief is straight forward, Polar and/or MI6 can be hit once, maybe even twice to stave off the collapse and buy time but then the coalition splits. This is where it gets interesting. People are trying to find a place where they can support a war and play their part while being in a position post war to buddy up with some of the alliances they will be hitting. How do you attack the people you will need and not pay for it later?

It’s frustrating for me waiting for the first phase of this to be over. I’m guessing it’s equally as frustrating for MI6. It’s also fascinating talking to alliances and seeing who is laying the ground work for post war already. They tell me upfront they can’t rock the boat right now and they are right, being the one to split the coalition now would be a violent and bloody death!

For now I say “Carry on”. Eatemup will get to play ‘King Maker’ soon and I’m enjoying the ride!

How do you really see Polar next? MI6 yeah obviously. Where is Polar getting grouped in by that? I dont see how NPO is planning the next one, but I am pretty lazy on following the next war I guess.

Edited by ditchboy00

Right now there are more alliances playing the ‘long’ game than I have ever seen before! Ironic given the state of decline our population is in and the pessimism many of us feel for the future.

Since coming back a year ago I've seen a lot of wheel-spinning, but not a whole lot of movement. I don't think many alliances are playing the long game at all. Some leaders may have it in their heads that they're doing so, but leaders without active members are nothing but blowhards with big dreams.

Most alliances aren't doing much of anything beyond congratulating themselves on continuing to exist, since apparently whoever is here when Admin turns out the lights 'wins'. (Wins what, exactly? And to whom will they brag about this achievement?)

The other factions I won’t name, I’m not going to be accused of trying to drive a wedge. They exist though and they are the reason this world is getting interesting. Several of them have talked to me and they are all in the same boat, trying to tow the line now while preparing for the future. The common belief is straight forward, Polar and/or MI6 can be hit once, maybe even twice to stave off the collapse and buy time but then the coalition splits. This is where it gets interesting. People are trying to find a place where they can support a war and play their part while being in a position post war to buddy up with some of the alliances they will be hitting. How do you attack the people you will need and not pay for it later?

Maybe Polar and MI6 could declare on each other and really leave the current powers stumped? :P

How do you really see Polar next? MI6 yeah obviously. Where is Polar getting grouped in by that? I dont see how NPO is planning the next one, but I am pretty lazy on following the next war I guess.

Simply through the need for Bob to have a war and the placements on the treaty web. Not many wars are for real reasons these days and not many alliances have true enemies.

Maybe Polar and MI6 could declare on each other and really leave the current powers stumped? :P

What could possibly go wrong...

Simply through the need for Bob to have a war and the placements on the treaty web. Not many wars are for real reasons these days and not many alliances have true enemies.

What could possibly go wrong...

Whatever the outward reason for wars in the "ancient" past, they have always been about the treaty web and about power.  But I don't think these are fake reasons any more than doing something for more than one reason necessarily makes one of them "fake".  A reason is a reason, whether people think it's a valid reason is another matter, but claiming it's fake is not the same as claiming it's invalid.

Makes sense to me. Speed up the process, get back on top sooner, while there are a dozen active posters left to announce your victory to.

The other factions I won’t name, I’m not going to be accused of trying to drive a wedge.

Perish the thought!

Anyway, the title wasn't misleading I'll give you that. Truly as you said, some ramblings out of frustration and I'll add- impotence. NPO's position a bit exaggerated (as Letum already stated), NpO's position a bit exaggerated as well ('King Maker'? Thats a bold statement).

But I am glad you are thinking of us.

Perish the thought!

Anyway, the title wasn't misleading I'll give you that. Truly as you said, some ramblings out of frustration and I'll add- impotence. NPO's position a bit exaggerated (as Letum already stated), NpO's position a bit exaggerated as well ('King Maker'? Thats a bold statement).

But I am glad you are thinking of us.

Branimir I shared my thoughts and opinions which are based on fact with the community. It's people not doing this, and keeping the politics hidden in the backrooms for only 1% to participate in that makes the world boring.
If you wish to refute my opinion on what's happening I suggest you make a post with some substance, laying out where you see the power on Bob as being right now and how you see it playing out.
This business of trying to state it's not true and offering no alternate opinions or explanations is a cowards way of discussing a topic.

TLDR:
Nut up or shut up.

An interesting topic Dajobo.  I would agree with some of your assertions, but I think the reality is really quite different.  Planet Bob is consuming itself and our natural resources are nearing exhaustion, we have already descended into a post-apocalyptic world where survival is counted as a victory and anything anyone else has is always up for grabs if you need to fuel your suicide machine.  There is little interesting to still evolve, we have seen once mighty alliances degrade themselves by association, we have seen once mighty alliances disappear without a whimper and we have seen the rise of the neutral who has managed to stay out of the destruction of the world and, despite recent events, remain at the top of the now irrelevant pecking order.

BTW, attacking Polaris serves no actual purpose, attacking MI6 would similarly achieve almost nothing, any pleasure in rolling alliances so far behind in real terms is fairly hollow even for the idiot ruling class.  The reality is those two alliances are the only safe bet, everything else triggers so many treaty conflicts that even the best crayon drawings would struggle to allow some alliances to fight anyone.

As for NPO, who cares, evidently no one else does, they are free to do as they wish as has been the case for all but a very short period.  Thank goodness as they are probably the only ones capable of restoring any kind of a heart beat to the wastelands of Bob.  Whether anyone wants the heart beat or not is entirely a different manner.

Polaris will never return to any sort of position of power on Bob because it lacks the fundamental drive to do so.  As Frawley rightly points out regularly we are lagging well behind the race and we have been lapped several times, our clapped out Kombi isn't going to ever be competitive with the smarmy Z3 Pacific is driving. I like our Kombi though and couldn't really give a toss about Frawley the Merchant Banker and his opinions of our economic performance, but it does make good fodder for drive-by potshots.  Hard to be wrong when you are right after all.

If there are interesting moves to be made, they will happen because people want to do something different rather than huddle together in one large mass, defaming and deriding anything that suits their agenda or lack thereof. 

I am an anti-Christ
I am an anarchist,
Don't know what I want
But I know how to get it
I want to destroy the passerby

'Cause I want to be anarchy,
No dogs body

Nut up or shut up.

Funny you would say that.

There is always a storm brewing over the horizon. If you believe you got a glimpse of it, great. Its just that when you came here to share something, it really just kinda ended up being ramblings. You wanted to say something but then didn't really, because you supposedly wanted to honor some confidence but then didn't entirely. It just ended up being about NPO this and that.

Currently, we have all important and major political players entangled into a wide web. They all allied each other directly or by some proxy trying to give themselves most favorable positions. With the last global war being so decisive (TOP imploding, some on the losing side jumping ship, the rest just existing with only MI6 trying to make something out of their alliance) some dynamics is gone currently and we are in a lull. Great time for speculations to pass the time. Imagined or real intrigue.

This web of players is huge, varied actors and obviously we all expect and hope something eventually pops up and things get real interesting again. It will, it has to, we aren't going to hold hands and sing fucking kumbaya until Bob ends.

But it is truly not possible to really predict where things might land. So many factors in play. I see you wanted to add some flavor here, but you didn't really add much. Except NPO this, NPO that, MI6/NpO getting rolled. I like when we are put in front and center. And yeah, we fucking rock for putting ourselves in a strong position again (what about that Letum's 'emperorship', pretty good ey). But we learned some lessons, believing in hype is bad for example. We aren't all that in the web, nobody truly is.

That is unacceptable.  it should at least come from Frawley's office.  With gold on the letterhead and a nice stamp signature.

Auctor does work in my office, if you liberally define 'work' that is.

An interesting topic Dajobo.  I would agree with some of your assertions, but I think the reality is really quite different.  Planet Bob is consuming itself and our natural resources are nearing exhaustion, we have already descended into a post-apocalyptic world where survival is counted as a victory and anything anyone else has is always up for grabs if you need to fuel your suicide machine.  There is little interesting to still evolve, we have seen once mighty alliances degrade themselves by association, we have seen once mighty alliances disappear without a whimper and we have seen the rise of the neutral who has managed to stay out of the destruction of the world and, despite recent events, remain at the top of the now irrelevant pecking order.

BTW, attacking Polaris serves no actual purpose, attacking MI6 would similarly achieve almost nothing, any pleasure in rolling alliances so far behind in real terms is fairly hollow even for the idiot ruling class.  The reality is those two alliances are the only safe bet, everything else triggers so many treaty conflicts that even the best crayon drawings would struggle to allow some alliances to fight anyone.

As for NPO, who cares, evidently no one else does, they are free to do as they wish as has been the case for all but a very short period.  Thank goodness as they are probably the only ones capable of restoring any kind of a heart beat to the wastelands of Bob.  Whether anyone wants the heart beat or not is entirely a different manner.

Polaris will never return to any sort of position of power on Bob because it lacks the fundamental drive to do so.  As Frawley rightly points out regularly we are lagging well behind the race and we have been lapped several times, our clapped out Kombi isn't going to ever be competitive with the smarmy Z3 Pacific is driving. I like our Kombi though and couldn't really give a toss about Frawley the Merchant Banker and his opinions of our economic performance, but it does make good fodder for drive-by potshots.  Hard to be wrong when you are right after all.

If there are interesting moves to be made, they will happen because people want to do something different rather than huddle together in one large mass, defaming and deriding anything that suits their agenda or lack thereof. 

I am an anti-Christ
I am an anarchist,
Don't know what I want
But I know how to get it
I want to destroy the passerby

'Cause I want to be anarchy,
No dogs body

An unfortunate attitude cultivated over the years by someone who never struggled for his throne. It is the words of one, regardless of poetic or authoritarian qualities, who resents and fears the struggles and accomplishments of others, who relies on an authority derived from the triumphs of the past, and fears to commit to the conquests of the future. The Moral Law is necessary in ensuring success on the battlefield; but making it a white elephant is simply a mask for complacency.

Here along the shores of the Pirate Kingdom there is an over-abundance of tech. In fact, there is such prosperity that barely any of the tech produced by SNX has been shipped to our allies. So much for being a tech farm for the bowl-smearers. My proposals for simple reforms using google docs was mocked but I feel justified knowing that my allies have achieved 80%+ aid slot efficiency with such simple means. Despite the forecasts of failure, SNX too will achieve such prosperity. So can Polar, if the old attitudes are rejected.

There is plenty of drive in Polar to succeed, it is just brow-beaten by claims of moral supremacy and suppressed by attitudes that are past their usefulness. I do not tolerate defeatism in my alliance for a reason, and it's high time that it shouldn't be in Polar either.