GOONS have a long history of requesting sanctions on those who aren't rogue, just because they are enemies.

It depends on the situation really. We have never used sanctions in real wars as a weapon. But if you are talking about us dealing with pesky rogues and micros we will use any leverage we have to make life miserable for people.

It's just the way of the game.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Methrage been sanctioned on brown? Because he needs to be. Sanction that b!

Twice already. (LD has received a lot of nukes for it) Although I'm a Senator now, so sanctioning me on Brown wouldn't be smart for anyone.

Twice already. (LD has received a lot of nukes for it) Although I'm a Senator now, so sanctioning me on Brown wouldn't be smart for anyone.

So technically er1 could sanction er1? If you was to get sanctioned can you not remove it yourself? I could literally vision a sanction war where people stay up all night sanctioning and unsanctioning themselves and their allies...oh the horrors... :frantic:

How sanctions work is there is a 3 day limit to remove them and there can be a maximum of 25 sanctions in place at once, so if a sanction war were to occur; it would be a messy situation situation where each side would likely race to fill the sanction quota with as many on the other side as possible. Then the same scenario would repeat every 3 days, so a sanction war would be messy and unpleasant.

It definitely makes sense for a small group that was often target of a sanctions to gather at one team and elect their own senator so he can lift those sanctions.

However reading Libertarian Party manifesto, I'm under impression that you are against sanctions in general. I don't agree with that. Sanctions can be used to hurt one's enemies. For example we (SPATR) have used sanctions when fighting for senate control. We have also used sanctions against some of the seven members whose memebership in SPATR was rescinded as the result of January Trials. These sanctions were graciously lifted though.

The only mistaken sanctions which we ever placed were two sanctions requested by alliance called GOONS. They requested sanctions against two members of alliance called Animalz. Our senator initially granted their request, but it was later resolved that SPATR has no stake in war between GOONS and Animalz and therefore sanctions were promptly lifted. (The story is a bit more complicated, because those nations were initially sanctioned by someone else and then other senator - but not Bones - lifted the sanctions. And then GOONS for some reason contacted our senator, i.e. Bones).

Sanctions can be used to hurt your enemies but they hurt others indiscriminately in the process. This is why we have a long tradition of severely limiting their use (and implied in that is of course a tradition of similar antiquity of people flaunting norms when they think they can get away with it as well, of course.) 

So yes in a sense I am personally against sanctions entirely, I think they are very nearly always a bad choice on a number of levels, but I was careful NOT to put that into LP-CN and it is NOT LP-CN policy to oppose sanctions in general.

Only sanctions levied on Brown against LP-CN members who are on Brown and voting for the LP-CN candidate would be of concern to the LP-CN. The goal is not to enforce our standards on all of CN, or even a single color, it is only to give our members a space in which they can exist with some protection against being molested in this fashion.

Man if I was a senator and got sanctioned twice and attacked on my color sphere, I'd be sanctioning everybody :P

Not that I support Methrage in any way, i'd have probably hit him again if he was in range,but you have to admire his self-restraint

It depends on the situation really. We have never used sanctions in real wars as a weapon. But if you are talking about us dealing with pesky rogues and micros we will use any leverage we have to make life miserable for people.

We have no obligation to help GOONS in achiving that goal. Especially since you tried to "make life miserable for" SPATR predecessor alliance (i.e. MONGOLS).

Sanctions can be used to hurt your enemies but they hurt others indiscriminately in the process. This is why we have a long tradition of severely limiting their use (and implied in that is of course a tradition of similar antiquity of people flaunting norms when they think they can get away with it as well, of course.) 

So yes in a sense I am personally against sanctions entirely, I think they are very nearly always a bad choice on a number of levels, but I was careful NOT to put that into LP-CN and it is NOT LP-CN policy to oppose sanctions in general.

Only sanctions levied on Brown against LP-CN members who are on Brown and voting for the LP-CN candidate would be of concern to the LP-CN. The goal is not to enforce our standards on all of CN, or even a single color, it is only to give our members a space in which they can exist with some protection against being molested in this fashion.

Thanks for explanation. I agree that sanctions hurt others as well, not only the sanctioned person. Like when CubaQuerida sanctioned Lord Hitchcock who was at that time trading with one of SPATR members. That being said a loss of one trade is a minor concern when compared to being fully sanctioned.

Man if I was a senator and got sanctioned twice and attacked on my color sphere, I'd be sanctioning everybody

In Methrage's position, I would definitely sanction nations from the Three Permille Coalition.

Edited by murtibing

Sometimes what you might want to do at the moment isn't the best thing to do in the long run. As a Senator I act on my principles rather than emotions. Had I been sanctioned after I became Senator or my voters were sanctioned, then  things may of turned out differently. However I was sanctioned about six days before taking my seat, then it was removed and put back on after 3 days. Then when I became Senator I removed it myself.

Last election we finished with 63 votes, this election is only about 6 days in and we have 42 votes so far. So I'm very pleased with the progress we've made, more nations from more alliances are voting Libertarian on their own. If we assumed only those who have already voted were to vote a second time, we would end this one with 84 votes. Although we're only a quarter way into the election cycle so far. We could end up with double that many votes.

We have no obligation to help GOONS in achiving that goal. Especially since you tried to "make life miserable for" SPATR predecessor alliance (i.e. MONGOLS)

This is crap. You were actively aiding someone we were raiding then wouldn't pay the measly few million to solve the situation and instead decided to try to wave your penises.

Then Kaskus and NEW had to come and try to save you.

That war was entertaining as hell but very stupid on your end.

This is crap. You were actively aiding someone we were raiding then wouldn't pay the measly few million to solve the situation and instead decided to try to wave your penises.

Then Kaskus and NEW had to come and try to save you.

That war was entertaining as hell but very stupid on your end.

Nobody has an obligation to help GOONS ever. If I have any say over it, the Brown sphere will never help GOONS with sanctions in the future.

Nobody has an obligation to help GOONS ever. If I have any say over it, the Brown sphere will never help GOONS with sanctions in the future.

And then Senate candidate Methrage told the assembled crowd that he would play no favorites as a Senator, treating all sovereign alliances as equals. He heralded this as a new beginning for the Brown sphere.

Oh wait, I'm just getting a message from my producer....

SNX will be happy to help any alliance with a sanction request on brown. Any legit request will be fulfilled. IDC what alliance they are.

And then Senate candidate Methrage told the assembled crowd that he would play no favorites as a Senator, treating all sovereign alliances as equals. He heralded this as a new beginning for the Brown sphere.

Oh wait, I'm just getting a message from my producer....

I'm a libertarian, GOONS have always been open about being an oppressive alliance and proud of it.

Also Ken was very open he abuses Senate requests to try making people's lives miserable.

It's just the way of the game.

Edited by Methrage

But if you are talking about us dealing with pesky rogues, micros and raids gone wrong, we will use any leverage we have to make life easier for our raiders.

It's just the way we play

Edited it for you, you should proof read your posts for errors in future.