Top 20 alliances Analysis

Elite Virgin

I think this whole "why does MI6 suck" discussion can be summed up by one word: pride.

Sometimes, you need to be pragmatic, and not pour vitriol on your less polite opponents. It might be smart to give a nice answer to a less nice question, sometimes. You might be displeased by what someone posts in an embassy, but that does not mean you need to spend five pages moaning about how they're going to roll you for no reason, or grandstanding about how majestic your military capacities are and how you're going to make them regret it.

You also seem to suffer from the same disease on a member level, beyond the alliance-as-a-whole. Your members need to learn that it isn't always a great idea to show up and spread their genius opinion all over a thread. Sometimes it's more productive to have a few competent posters on one line in a thread than a roaring storm of half-informed opinions from your entire alliance.

If the rumours I've heard are true, about members directly disregarding instructions not to post their customary rage in an embassy -- which certainly seems to mesh with the rest of my impression of your alliance, though I'm not saying it is necessarily true just because of that -- then that also seems like a sign of your members' pride. You shouldn't prioritize your own special snowflake little opinion (which is probably the same as half of your alliance's already, anyway) above the success and governance of your alliance.

Learn some humility and get over yourselves. You aren't a magic special snowflake, no one is going to treat you like one, so stop acting like you are.

Great post Sax, I for the most part agree wholeheartedly.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought long and hard about this and here's my thoughts on the top 20, tried to make this as accurate as possible please don't take any of this personally:

NPO - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

GPAMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

IRONMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

UmbrellaMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

NpOMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

WTFMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

ODNMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

VEMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

R&RMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

SpartaMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

NATOMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

ValhallaMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

NEWMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

DTMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

MI6Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

Pax CorvusMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

FANMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

GOONSMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

FARKMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

SNXMostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

*all ratings have a standard deviation of +/- (my inactivity) * (Are we currently at war with them)

I thought long and hard about this and here's my thoughts on the top 20, tried to make this as accurate as possible please don't take any of this personally:

NPO - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

GPA - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

IRON - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

Umbrella - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

NpO - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

WTF - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

ODN - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

VE - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

R&R - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

Sparta - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

NATO - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

Valhalla - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

NEW - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

DT - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

MI6 - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

Pax Corvus - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

FAN - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

GOONS - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

FARK - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

SNX - Mostly good people, some annoying ones, overall good group

*all ratings have a standard deviation of +/- (my inactivity) * (Are we currently at war with them)

I like this guys thinking

Slight aSoIaF/GoT spoiler alert for the below:

• NPO - House Targaryen. Totally awesome, Rhaegar is the hero of the entire series. May have at some point in the past have had a slight image problem, and some sort of disagreement and war with the other major houses. Loves fire (tech), and has three dragons two million tech. Beware of the firey end of the dragon.
  • IRON - House Martell. Orange-coloured, has some seriously cool people, was detached from the rest of the realm a long time ago. Not always at the centre of attention, but still does stuff, too.
  • GPA - The smallfolk. Never makes any noise, doesn't stand up too tall. If war comes to them, things get ugly. Could, if they rose against the lords and ladies of the realm, probably do a lot of damage.
  • Umbrella - House Lannister. Endlessly mining to sate their endless thirst for gold tech. A powerhouse sitting in the upper-tier mountains above the mid-tier plains. Not someone you want to wage a war against. Unkind voices make them out to be a villain who waged war on the heroes of the story, but really, they're just pragmatic.
  • NpO - House Stark. Cold and northern, of course. Recent leaders have claimed a high moral seat, but they have just as bloody a past as everyone else, and wasn't that King in the North thing a bit of a power-grab? Recent events have seen them somewhat decimated by their foes, but they're soldiering on. Still a way to go, Winterfell hasn't been rebuilt just yet.
  • VE - House Tyrell. Growing Strong -- it is not always entirely obvious where the Tyrell power comes from, and yet they still have it. Verdant green fields might not always impress the more warlike mind, but you can't argue with the results. Toil on the peacetime fields in one's lands seems to pay off, and give some teeth when needed. Still, not something that is often seen in use.
  • WTF - Craster. Sitting around doing nothing useful, and then getting stabbed dead when someone more powerful wants your stuff.
  • ODN - House Arryn. An ancient house, an honourable house. Has in its history done a lot of great things, and often been near the throne itself, even if they might never have sat it in their own right. Perhaps not always as obviously involved as they once were, but the capacity is certainly still there. (I can't figure out a fitting House that is also orange. Sorry...)
  • Sparta - House Frey. A decently powerful house in their own right, and certainly a very ambitious one. People might question their means, but it is clear what they are trying to do, and it mostly gets done. Their relationship with House Stark has a colourful history, and might not be in its best shape right now.
  • R&R - House Hightower. Important in their own parts, has some interesting roles to play, but not often at the centre of attention. Not an entirely deserved inattention.

Okay, I'll never get through the top 20 -- there's too many alliances and too few major houses, so I'll cut it short at the top 10. Here's a selection from the rest of the alliances:

• NEW - Those people from Sothoryos. Might be good at war, but no one has any idea what they're saying, so the story mostly ignores them.
  • MI6 - House Reyne.
  • NG - The Wildlings. Expect lots of talking about sleeping with she-bears, and Tormund's gigantic member. Pretty decent at actually doing things, too, but it isn't really what they're primarily famous for.
  • DBDC - The Others. They're not really entirely like the rest of us, are they? Scary.
  • DK, and also all the smaller less serious raiding alliances - The Ironborn. Randomly killing and looting is a serious skill of theirs. Not universally liked, probably because of the raping and looting. May have a connection to the Others, what with that whole what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger thing they've got going on.

TL;DR: Don't take this too seriously. It's intended primarily as humour and pop-culture, not as serious analysis. Where the two clash, expect the former to win out.

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?

• NPO - House Targaryen. Totally awesome, Rhaegar is the hero of the entire series. May have at some point in the past have had a slight image problem, and some sort of disagreement and war with the other major houses. Loves fire (tech), and has three dragons two million tech. Beware of the firey end of the dragon.
  • IRON - House Martell. Orange-coloured, has some seriously cool people, was detached from the rest of the realm a long time ago. Not always at the centre of attention, but still does stuff, too.
  • GPA - The smallfolk. Never makes any noise, doesn't stand up too tall. If war comes to them, things get ugly. Could, if they rose against the lords and ladies of the realm, probably do a lot of damage.
  • Umbrella - House Lannister. Endlessly mining to sate their endless thirst for gold tech. A powerhouse sitting in the upper-tier mountains above the mid-tier plains. Not someone you want to wage a war against. Unkind voices make them out to be a villain who waged war on the heroes of the story, but really, they're just pragmatic.
  • NpO - House Stark. Cold and northern, of course. Recent leaders have claimed a high moral seat, but they have just as bloody a past as everyone else, and wasn't that King in the North thing a bit of a power-grab? Recent events have seen them somewhat decimated by their foes, but they're soldiering on. Still a way to go, Winterfell hasn't been rebuilt just yet.
  • VE - House Tyrell. Growing Strong -- it is not always entirely obvious where the Tyrell power comes from, and yet they still have it. Verdant green fields might not always impress the more warlike mind, but you can't argue with the results. Toil on the peacetime fields in one's lands seems to pay off, and give some teeth when needed. Still, not something that is often seen in use.
  • WTF - Craster. Sitting around doing nothing useful, and then getting stabbed dead when someone more powerful wants your stuff.
  • ODN - House Arryn. An ancient house, an honourable house. Has in its history done a lot of great things, and often been near the throne itself, even if they might never have sat it in their own right. Perhaps not always as obviously involved as they once were, but the capacity is certainly still there. (I can't figure out a fitting House that is also orange. Sorry...)
  • Sparta - House Frey. A decently powerful house in their own right, and certainly a very ambitious one. People might question their means, but it is clear what they are trying to do, and it mostly gets done. Their relationship with House Stark has a colourful history, and might not be in its best shape right now.
  • R&R - House Hightower. Important in their own parts, has some interesting roles to play, but not often at the centre of attention. Not an entirely deserved inattention.

Okay, I'll never get through the top 20 -- there's too many alliances and too few major houses, so I'll cut it short at the top 10. Here's a selection from the rest of the alliances:

• NEW - Those people from Sothoryos. Might be good at war, but no one has any idea what they're saying, so the story mostly ignores them.
  • MI6 - House Reyne.
  • NG - The Wildlings. Expect lots of talking about sleeping with she-bears, and Tormund's gigantic member. Pretty decent at actually doing things, too, but it isn't really what they're primarily famous for.
  • DBDC - The Others. They're not really entirely like the rest of us, are they? Scary.
  • DK, and also all the smaller less serious raiding alliances - The Ironborn. Randomly killing and looting is a serious skill of theirs. Not universally liked, probably because of the raping and looting. May have a connection to the Others, what with that whole what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger thing they've got going on.

TL;DR: Don't take this too seriously. It's intended primarily as humour and pop-culture, not as serious analysis. Where the two clash, expect the former to win out.

That's pretty good.

Also, anyone can be redeemed if they try for it. Roq went crazy and created Paraguas, and after he pretended to be sorry, we made him president of Umbrella again.

That's pretty good.

Also, anyone can be redeemed if they try for it. Roq went crazy and created Paraguas, and after he pretended to be sorry, we made him president of Umbrella again.

That's Dear Leader President for Life Roquentin to you. 

Umbrella - Shamelessly and disgustingly pragmatic

Though by that argument if you made yourself more of an asset and less of a liability...

• UMB: They keep it real.

Probably the most accurate.

EDIT:

That's Dear Leader President for Life Roquentin to you. 

Actually he's just the President. STORM is Dear Leader.

Edited by Crownguard

I've always liked the Tyrells so I'm hoping this is a compliment. 

This thread is less about "analysis" as much as it is about people's personal opinions. Obviously if you've never interacted with X you'll either be neutral or just post whatever you hear through the grapevine. And most people's opinions are pretty easy to guess depending on what alliance they're in. However, this is still better than those posts about micro wars.

that make you mace tyrell baltus. And I guess Impero is Olena?

• MI6 - House Reyne.

Damn, I was hoping MI6 would be the free folk since we are a rather independent minded undisciplined mob. :P

Edited by Charles the Tyrant

We're more Dorne than IRON is. (And the description of Dorne isn't entirely accurate either.)

Everyone makes mistakes CG :)

Edited by IYIyTh

Damn, I was hoping MI6 would be the free folk since we are a rather independent minded undisciplined mob. :P

MI6 is more like the Thenns. You try to fit in with the free folk, but you're just trying way too hard.

We're more Dorne than IRON is. (And the description of Dorne isn't entirely accurate either.)

Everyone makes mistakes CG :)

Between your posts in this thread and the whole ordeal where you had a crack binge or some shit in World Affairs, I think you're doing great on the "improve MI6's image" thing.

Last couple of pages was a fun read. All I learned is that; ITT people bitch about MI6, then MI6 bitches back. MI6 gets called out while those who bitched about MI6 are called reasonable. Pretty much sums up the dislike of MI6 to a T. Are we prideful? Yes, we are. But so is damn near every other alliance out there. MI6 gets called out on it is the difference. 

You can ask just about anyone, including people on the other side. I worked for a bit at basically being an "apologist" for MI6's actions. Guess where that went? Nowhere. It is not politically convenient for it to go anywhere so we could do everything, every last one of y'all wants us do, and we would still be doing wrong. So I say fuck it. Y'all don't like our attitude, can't wait until it is politically convenient or necessary for y'all to start to cozy up to us. I will be having some good laughs at the reversals of opinions.

MI6 is more like the Thenns. You try to fit in with the free folk, but you're just trying way too hard

I can live with that if you are referring to the thenns in the books and not the silly cannibals chim is talking about. :P

Edited by Charles the Tyrant

The difference is that most alliances have diplomats to cover up for their overtly boastful members. MI6's diplomats are their overtly boastful members.

We don't have any other kind of member TBH.

Also, MI6 is Targaryen. We had one victory and now we're just sitting behind the walls, and trying to keep everything from getting out of hand on the inside :P