Cross-Channel Relations

Peter Ilyich

Joseph Alexander sat quietly in offce. Young, handsome, and the greatest speaker on the planet, as well as leader of the successor state to the United Kingdom, the United Worker Republics. In his office included some old antiques, a portrait of his role model, Joseph Stalin (As well as his namesake. His birth name was actually Richard Charles Alexander, something that changed when he became fascinated with Stalin.), and his own self, as well as his desk and personal computer.

"Louis?" Alexander called, referring to his Vice President, Louis May. May stepped in to his office. "Yes sir?" He replied to Alexander. "Have any nations responded to our request for diplomacy?" Joseph asked. "No sir." May said. Alexander responded, "Well, if they're not going to come to us, than we will go to them." May responded with his predictable "Whatever you require, your Excellency. " Alexander pondered for a minute, possible two, and decided what he wanted to do. "Louis, set my plane to course. We are going to Germany." Louis said, once again, "Yes sir" and exited Alexander's office.

Rather unusually, Alexander refused to officially schedule the meeting. He also refused to make a public landing. His landing occured at a small, private airport in a rural Airport somewhere outside of Prague. He was then transported in a black limousine to Alvonia's Capital City. From there, he notified the Alvonian government of the meeting in person.

Edited by Peter Ilyich

Joseph Alexander was met by a guard in the Schönbrunn Palace, who after taking down his information, sent word upstairs that someone was here to meet with the government. After a little back and forth, the guard finally told Alexander that he was to go with him to see Minister of Foreign Affairs Finn Powers in his office, and led him to the man. He stood with his back to the door, his bodyguards Martin and Jacek nearby, a cigarette in his mouth. Finn exhaled deeply, noxious smoke filling the room as he did so. "You know, the last time there was an Englishman in my office, he begged for me to spare his country. Not that I blame you for doing so, but a little warning next time would do you a lot of good." Finn's Irish accent had barely faded, despite the fact he hadn't been back to Ireland in years. He turned to face Alexander, and motioned towards one of the chairs in his office, keeping a neutral expression on his face. "What can Alvonia do for you today?"

Alexander took a moment to study Finn Powers. He tooked directly into his eyes for a moment before opening his mouth to speak. "I believe the element of surprise opens a doorway to truth." He said. He then gave a grin to Powers, and then studied the room around him. "Mr. Powers, I come to you for the reason of advancement in international influence. I felt that you would understand this situation the best." He stood up. "But if you disagree, I will leave right this moment. But I will bet that I am not wrong, as typical. " He took a couple of steps towards the door, then turned around for one last thing. "My mother was from Ireland. Belfast. Her name was Cathy." He then turned and continued to walk slowly to the door.

Edited by Peter Ilyich

A grin crossed Finn's face - a terrifying thing to those who knew him well. "Well, hold the phone now," he said, extinguishing his cigarette. "Never said I disliked how you went about it. Too much pomp and circumstance around here, if you ask me." He moved to take a bottle of Irish whiskey out of his desk cabinet, and took out two glasses, offering Alexander a shot if he so wished. Regardless of the answer, he poured two anyway. "And another thing, just call me Finn. I came from good ol' Dublin myself, but that's all ancient history now anyways. You're talking about international influence - I'm listening. If it sounds good, I'll call in the big man Director Piontek himself to hear you out." Finn took a swig of his drink, and then studied it. "In truth, I really wanted an excuse to break out this here whiskey too."

Joseph himself understood the situation. He slowly turned around, returned the grin to Finn, and sat down. He took a drink of the whiskey and then thought of where to begin. His story, with that, began. "Well, Finn" he said with hesitation, "I would say that this started when I first learned of a man named Joseph Stalin. Genius, really. Ever heard of him? Of course you have. It was at that time when a young Richard Alexander II became Joseph Alexander. I was fascinated. I had, since that moment, dedicated my life to bringing the Soviet philosophy to the British Isles." He continued on with the story, and a little while later reached the more important information. "However, since that mid-twenties man became President of this new nation, he has realized that he should spread the welfare we have experienced beyond. I have since been preparing an invasion of Spain and Portugal, and possibly further conquests in the future." He paused. "I would like to propose a new alliance. A new Central Powers, if you will." He thought for a moment. "I believe that bloodshed every now and then only helps to cleanse the future. In other words, conquer and defeat, advance and don't retreat." He gave his infamous grin. "And if anyone wants a full-scale war over it, haha. I'll be waiting." He lightened the mood afterwards with, "So, time for the reviews. What did you think, Finn?"

Finn listened intently, taking the occasional sip of his drink and pouring another one when Joseph finished, then lit another cigarette. "Listen, I really don't care why you want to bring Portugal and Spain under your fold, but what I do wanna know is how exactly that'll propel the two of us into international influence. I can rent it with you having control of the straits of Gibraltar, but you don't need the whole of Portugal and Spain to call up on that kind of enforcement. Hell, just having the Rock itself and a chunk of Morocco would do the trick."

"That being said, I can run with that. I don't know if you've been following Alvonian news lately, but Belarus still maintains a part of Poland, and Director Piontek doesn't care too much for that. Stable nations are running short, and stable allies even shorter. We here in Vienna have been losing a lot of friends lately, and I'd like to reverse that trend." Finn took another drink, finishing the glass. "Give me a few. Martin, Jacek, keep Joseph here company. Give him the whiskey bottle if he wants it." With that, Finn left the room to go down the hall, and after a few minutes, returned with Director August Piontek. He had all the air of a military man, and even his civilian suit seemed to give off a military vibe. He extended a hand to Joseph, saying in Polish-accented English, "Welcome to Vienna, my friend. I understand you have a proposition for Alvonia? Let me hear it with my own ears, please." Piontek cracked open a window to let out Finn's smoke and took a seat, waiting for Joseph to begin.

Joseph looked at Piontek, and responded by extending his hand in return. "Good afternoon, your Excellency. It is an honor." Alexander took a moment to gain himself, and began pacing around the room. "Sir, I wish to create an alliance between ourselves, your Alvonia, Yugoslavia, if they would be interested, and any other nations you think would show interest. This way, we may drive Belarus out of Poland and continue conquest across Europe. And, if someone wants to get into our way, or they want to stop our mission, then I suppose we'll just have to stop theirs." He looked up, and waited for a response.

"You speak of conquest," Piontek said, leaning back in his chair. "I assume you mean the conquests of the Northlands and Belarus. Their imperialism is well-known to Alvonians of all kinds - we are divided in the East by the Belarusians, and in the West by the Northlands. It would bring joy to a great many of us here in Vienna and in Warsaw to see them pushed back from their illegitimate gains." Piontek took a few moments to think on what had been said, and what he knew. "I believe this is a mutually beneficial alliance, though I would like to get this all on paper. We can have our foreign ministries speak to each other and hammer out the finer details, but at this time I believe we have much to gain by working together."

Joseph grinned. "Yes, I believe that it is beneficial. I imagine the United Worker Republics spanning from the Isles to Spain, to the Philippines, and to America. I imagine a great nation of conquest, and an alliance with you seems to be mutually beneficial for both of us." He turned darker. "So, what you imagine for France?"

Edited by Peter Ilyich

Piontek raised an eyebrow. "France will remain French. Alvonia will not take any action to annex it into our nation, and we will defend the French people to the death against anyone who dares to do so themselves. France has been a good ally to Alvonia, and we respect them for that. The Workers' Republics can do what they wish elsewhere, but Europe is where we concern ourselves in Vienna. Is there anything else we need to discuss here, or are we quite finished?"