This Week in the Network

Schattenmann

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First rule, don't be a dick. You're essentially stealing (and this is coming from a guy who likes to raid and .. well, I've retired now, but anyway), and even though it's theft, that doesn't give you the right to demand more than what you're getting. There's a tolerance for raiding in CN, as even those alliances that don't do it, recognize that it's a bi-product of the war system and thus atleast a part of gameplay, and will let it slide unless you do it to their alliance or protectorates.

Second rule is, never do anything but ground attacks. If you CM or do a bombing run, you're basically being a dick, and that's not cool. It's a raid, you're not trying to cripple them or do more damage than it necessary. What do CMs and bombing runs get you? Nothing. So leave those out of the equation, period.

Third rule is, never threaten nukes if they attack back. It might come as a shock to you, but a lot of people don't like being attacked for their land or for their tech, or for their cash. Sometimes people attack back, it's the price you pay. If they do attack back, it's best to simply apologize, try to get them to peace out with you, and both of you be on your merry way. You don't have to offer reps, you don't have to pay reps, but more often than not (unless they start throwing nukes at you), people will listen to reason, even though you're trying to steal from them, and will peace out with you after one round of fighting. And if they do offer peace even after attacking you, take it. Not taking it, especially since you'll be 3 on 1 more than likely, means you're breaking the first rule.

The fourth rule is simple -- know what you're doing. You're not trying to anarchy them, you're trying to take land and tech, and if they aren't active, anarchying them simply means you're wasting a war slot without the ability to attack (more than likely) for however long it takes them to become active and peace you out. Play it smart, don't crush them, but rather go for maximum percentage odds with minimum casualty numbers. There was once a nice equillibrium point in the war system for that, it may very well still be there.

The fifth rule I'd say would be to follow your alliance's rules. For some this rule is obviously higher, but if your alliance says you can raid nations in alliances of 5 and under, then stick to it. Don't push your luck by attacking someone in a big alliance that's 10 or so days inactive simply because they're inactive, most of those big alliances won't tolerate you attacking their members, whether they're 1 day inactive or 20 days inactive. And your alliance won't be too happy about your idiocy if you do that, and if I were them, I would throw you to the wolves for something that dumb. Rules are important, they're usually in place for YOUR safety and YOUR benefit, so don't be stupid and disregard them, thinking you can get away with it. You can't, you won't, and you WILL pay the price.

The sixth rule is, if you must, raid with friends who know what they're doing. Regardless of what a lot of raiders claim, the VAST majority of them don't know what the hell they're doing, and can ruin not only their raids, but everyone else's raids in the process on that one target. Make sure they know what they're doing, I'm not going to get into that further, but for gods sake, don't raid with people who simply think deploying all they have and doing aggressive attacks is all it takes.

Seven: Don't re-raid. this goes for raiding a nation that you've previously raided, and also for raiding a nation that has just finished being raided by other nations. I'm guilty of both these things, also of a lot more than this (hence why I've grown and developed my own set of rules for raiding), but I know the error of my ways, and this violates rule #1. Give people a break, let them continue to play and grow in the game and unless you forget that you've raided the person before, don't do it the week later, or the month later, etc. If you've raided them once, try to make sure they're off limits to you from now on. And if you notice in the war screen that they've been raided 3 times in one day, or 3 times in the past two or three days, let em go. There are more where they came from.

Eight: Don't vulture people's raids. This sort of ties in with rule seven, but if you know that, say, Valhalla (much respect to valhalla) raids a lot, and you see some valhalla members on a nation, don't jump in and take the third and last slot. Chances are you're going to break rule four, especially if you don't talk to your raid partners and just go at it on your own. There's a good possibility you only think you know what you're doing, and the two people might have a system going on that you've ruined by stealing the last slot. Find your own raids, leave those people from the same alliance to their own devices, the best you can hope for is that you simply take a slot reserved for someone else, and even then, that's still bad of you.

Nine: Times have changed, give it a rest from time to time. CN's political climate has changed over the past six or seven months, and raiding is still allowable and tolerated, but not to the extent it once was. The wisest thing a raider can do is to not raid. If you've raided seven or eight people the past week, it's best to go easy the next week, this ensures you're not building a reputation for yourself, especially if you've been breaking rule one or a few other rules along the way. It's a game, afterall, and war here is fun, but go easy on it from time to time.

Ten: Don't bitch and complain if you bite off more than you can chew. If they attack back and you can't handle it, don't complain, you knew the risks involved in raiding going in. It's best to not get your friends to jump on the guy and beat him down so you can exact some revenge. You're a thief. Sometimes karma dishes it out, just take it, lick your wounds, and move on. If you get to the point where you can't handle it, maybe you shouldn't be raiding anymore.

The full list, for you noobs.

I thought that we were way past the point of any rule.

(Of course I am not talking of "rules" made up on the go to justify someone doing whatever they just wanted to do anyways. These will always remain around.)

A lot of folks (GPA comes to mind,) like to substitute the word pacifist with "neutral."

They're not the same, and have very different implications in a political system.

Edited by IYIyTh

Pacifist, peaceful, neutral, isolationist and non-interventionist all have different meaning.

Problem is, too often the debate loses sight of the meaning - and here I am not anymore talking of just discussion over "neutrality/neutrals" - and it just devolves into bickering and poor PR strategies based on and because of semantics. It really is an impoverished attitude that is responsible for much of the deterioration of the level of discourse.

Cheap discourses drive quality discourses away, leading to short sighted and Pyrrhic dialectic "victories" that eventually just bring all of us to the worse possible payoff in the game*.

(Also senile grumpies etc. - please disregard and carry on.)

* [ooc] "The game" refers to game theory, not to CN. [/ooc]

I think WTF has proven without a doubt it is not that tough at all.

Haha, that is the best you can do? You forgot to say something mean about our mothers. That most certainly would cut EVEN DEEPER than insulting our CN cred. :lol1:

Then again, I suppose you should judge a CN ruler by their actions... not their words. Aside from the desperate underhandedness? Yours are quite unremarkable when compared to the esteem you hold yourself in. This is where we differ, I'm OK with being neither a special CN snowflake nor a beautiful CN butterfly just like my WTF brothers and sisters. Nor do WE care. You, just appear to be the absolute last mummer in the parade, trying as hard as possible to get anyone to look at you before they've packed it up and gone home for the day.

Edited by Asa Phillips

So, just to be clear... its completely ok in the future that anytime a nation is at war with nations from another alliance as part of a war between two alliances? Any opportunist can hit them right?

Could it be CT was to DBDC (and SPATR for a time) as Noob Cake is to WTF?

Makes you wonder if PoW exchanges will solve all the Cyberverse's problems.  

Edited by King Cyan

Could it be CT was to DBDC (and SPATR for a time) as Noob Cake is to WTF?

Makes you wonder if PoW exchanges will solve all the Cyberverse's problems.  

At one point, it might've been the ideal solution. Except the two were pretty different cases.

Noob cake has only been attacked by members of the alliance he originally attacked in defense of themselves. He wasn't incorrectly labeled as a rouge nation in order to allow opportunists from outside alliances to fill his war slots, or to sanction him on nearly every sphere color. An entirely separate AA wasn't created to handle him and his friends either. :ph34r:

Total Money: $216,124,003 as of a few days ago. Its tough to get someone who has quit to have their nation stop being logged into.

Desconistan, silly. http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=133446

In his defense. You DO use a lot of big words. :lol1:

Unpossible, they just pull opportunists from the other 99% of CN to join their party 2 months late. There is no denying their insatiable desire to 'win'.

You are the master at this... Are you not?

20k / 30 ~ 667 tech/day = 667/8 ~ 83 tech/GA.

Technically it's possible, but is it socially possible? All the targets would basically have to help the raider. If they instead stay at 0 soldiers and nuke it goes rather differently.

Technically it's possible, but is it socially possible? All the targets would basically have to help the raider. If they instead stay at 0 soldiers and nuke it goes rather differently.

I'm sure GPA or whoever is left will find out :P

I'm sure GPA or whoever is left will find out :P

I appreciate the irony, but really it's just math, very basic knowledge of the war rules and simple observation of past and current conflicts. There's little left to find out in that regard.

You are the master at this... Are you not?

I don't understand what that means. I wasn't the one who reported the attempted sitting of a nation who was quitting, I don't believe it was anyone in WTF actually if I recall. Personally, I'd rather have people try ever last ditch effort possible like shady nation sitting, it screams of desperation and is rather satisfying to drive someone to go that far.

Side note, I hear ODN will be leading the charge against WTF any day now... possibly even as early as tomorrow night. Or consideration is also being made of merging into Blood Pack. Stay tuned!

Two problems:

Not enough targets that aren't allies.

Would be nuked and attacked back and lose tech in the process.

If it were possible to simply raid 20k tech a month, tech levels would be far higher.  Even discussing this as realistic is a massive waste of time.

Two problems:

Not enough targets that aren't allies.

Would be nuked and attacked back and lose tech in the process.

If it were possible to simply raid 20k tech a month, tech levels would be far higher.  Even discussing this as realistic is a massive waste of time.

My plans are ruined.