Brought to you by the officially sixth best poster on the OWF. All the better ones were busy, but hey, it's still an improvement from UnknownSmurf, who came in thirteenth. He seriously lost to Maelstrom Vortex. How embarrassing.

The CyberNations Awards, 2014

As usual, we start with the grand award, Alliance of the Year. It goes to.... *drumroll*

CGOSVsj.png

...that's right, they got it this year, too!

Alliance of the Year
1  DBDC - 33
2  IRON - 29
3  New Pacific Order - 17

IRON pulled up close, and almost took the title from the reigning champion. A bit further down, we find Pacifica, seizing the third place, in a pattern that you will soon come to recognize. Because if we look at the most powerful alliance...

Most Powerful Alliance
1  DBDC - 67
2  IRON - 34
3  New Pacific Order - 17

We again find the same order, though DBDC won this one with much more ease. It seems CN only values power in determining who should win the big award. As for what we judge power by, well...

Best Military
1 DBDC - 47
2 New Pacific Order - 26
3 New Polar Order - 15

It seems military strength is an important component of power, and DBDC won in this category, too. In an embarrassing lapse for them, no one remembered to even nominate IRON for this category, so the third place went to Polaris, who performed well under less fortunate circumstances.

Another category of interest is the new alliances, the up-and-coming spawn of the old year. Here, we see...

Best Rookie Alliance
1 FTW - 54
2 SNX - 30
3 Reavers - 23

A resounding win for mergers, and especially for FTW. Performing respectably and having solid friends apparently earns you the victory in this category. SNX took the second place, having swiftly achieved a high spot in the sanction race after their merger.

As we all know, no one is truly powerful without their friends, and some friends are more powerful than others...

Most Powerful Bloc
1 AZTEC - 104
2 XX - 25
3 Blank vote - 19
4 Usual Suspects - 14

A solid victory for AZTEC, who came out of 2014 looking very strong. XX still got some votes, despite their failures towards the end of the year, and impending loss of a member. In third place, we get the blank vote, and slightly less popular on the fourth place, we find US.

However, we must, of course, not merely care about power, but also about art...

Best Flag
1 Blank vote - 18
2 DBDC / Umbrella's war flag - 17
3 RIA - 15
4 NPO / MI6 - 14

Which apparently most people don't, since Blank won best flag. Which ruthless powermongerers won best flag, well, you can see the poll results. Confusion abounds.

Another area that is necessary for power and success is activity. The winner in this category is...

Most Active Alliance
1 DBDC - 42
2 MI6 - 41
3 NPO - 23

...embarrassingly enough for them, not MI6, who lost to DBDC by one vote. Congratulations to them. In third place, we find NPO. Insider informants, who are totally not the announcer himself, reveal that there are currently 44 Pacificans on IRC, so we could totally have won this if only we cared/cheated in the votes. Dammit.

Erm.

Going to back to our announcements, we find that the next category is Most Honourable Alliance. The winners in this category are...

Most Honorable Alliance
1 RIA - 23
2 New Polar Order - 18
3 New Pacific Order - 16

Apparently, it is a very honourable thing to fight DBDC, as both the alliances in the top three fought them. The third alliance there must clearly be a mistake in the counting, and we will all pretend that we didn't just get bronze in Most Honorable, right, guys? This never happened.

Next up are some more "Best Alliance" types of award. First we have Best Diplomatic Team, which was won by...

Best Diplomatic Team
1 IRON - 39
2 New Pacific Order - 37
3 DBDC - 17

Here we see an old trifecta return, though with a new order. It seems that being diplomatic is key to power, too, something which IRON has apparently realized.

Another important thing is, of course, economics, where we find that the winners are...

Best Economic System
1 New Pacific Order - 39
2 IRON - 35
3 Umbrella / DBDC - 25

...the same three alliances, again, though Umbrella took a joint third place. The trend repeats itself. Up next we have another important discipline, recruiting...

Best Recruiting Staff
1 IRON - 31
2 R&R - 29
3 New Pacific Order - 21

Where we see R&R lose its long-held title to IRON. Alas. We also see that both the mass-recruiters of the Gang of Three got a medal in this category. The pattern seems to hold.

Beyond the pure arts, like flags, and the pure power disciplines, like diplomacy, we find a mongrel which we label "Propaganda". The winners in this middle-brow contest are...

Best Propagandist
1 hartfw - 40
2 Blank vote - 21
3 Auctor - 18
4 Schattenmann - 13

...hartfw. Congratulations! Second, we find peace and quiet, in the form of a blank vote. Third best, after hartfw and going deaf, is Auctor. Congratulations, I guess. In an honourable fourth place, we find Schattenmann. He just didn't make enough comics to get to the top.

One more brutal component of propaganda is the art of inspiring fear. This art has been mastered by...

Scariest Alliance
1 DBDC - 94
2 IRON - 16
3 Blank vote / The Stoic Movement - 10

...DOOOOOOOM. The victory of DBDC is quite overwhelming. Congratulations, you make children wet their beds in terror. In a distant second place, we find IRON, who occasionally make people look over their shoulder a bit. In the third place, we find jointly the blank vote and "The Stoic Movement", who probably aren't all that scary, since I've never heard of them.

Another important thing, beyond being powerful, is becoming more powerful. Those who mastered that art during 2014 are...

Best Alliance Growth
1 IRON - 39
2 NPO - 22
3 DT - 18

...apparently IRON, again. Congratulations, guys. In second place we find, not entirely surprisingly given the general patterns of this poll, NPO. In the third place we find, instead of DBDC, the Dark Templar. Congratulations, guys.

Continuing on the pattern of "becoming more powerful", we also have a category for most likely to succeed, where we find that the winners are...

Alliance Most Likely to Succeed in 2015
1 IRON - 25
2 NPO - 22
3 DBDC - 17

...IRON, again. In second and third place we find, again, NPO and DBDC. Being powerful and efficient now seems to be thought to be a good indicator of the future.

Alas, as is well known to many, you sometimes have to be nasty to succeed. The nastiest and most immoral alliance of last year were...

Most Immoral Alliance 
1 DBDC - 46
2 TOP - 19
2 MI6 - 18

...to no great surprise, DBDC. Congratulations, being evil seems to have paid off. It paid of less well for TOP, who are still at war, and MI6, who have no treaties left from it. Sorry guys, apparently being evil isn't enough on its own.

It seems that being immoral and being controversial are more or less the same thing on this Planet, since, well...

Most Controversial Alliance
1 DBDC - 76
2 TOP / MI6 - 22
3 Blank vote - 12
4 Kaskus - 11

We get more or less the same winners. Kaskus is only in here because TOP/MI6 tied each other.

Moving on from alliance awards to individual awards for a while, we start with the big one, Player of the Year. Congratulations to...

Femo5sj.jpg

Player of the Year
1 The Warrior - 25
2 Bob - 14
3 Dajobo - 13

..The Warrior! The IRON trend seems to be continuing into the individual awards. Congratulations, also, to Bob and Dajobo, for your silver and bronze.

In a related category, we find the Most Powerful Player, who was...

Most Powerful Player
1 Cuba Querida - 79
2 Dajobo - 14
3 Letum / Roquentin / Bob - 13

...Cuba. Apparently being the leader of the Most Powerful Alliance and having the biggest nation in the game helps with winning this category. The victory was quite decisive, with the second and third places being heavily contested.

Beyond rewarding pure power, we also have rewards for skill. The Best Alliance Leader for 2014 is...

Best Alliance Leader
1 The Warrior - 30
2 Dajobo / Ogaden - 16
3 Sir William - 15

...The Warrior! Leading the alliance most likely to succeed does presumably take a fair bit of skill. In second place, we find a crowd-pleaser -- leaders who tried to take the scariest alliance down, and stop the constant laundry-replacements for their children. Congratulations, Dajobo and Ogaden! May your laundry be ever dry.

We do, of course, not only award skill and success, but also controversy. This is as true in the alliance awards as in the individual awards. Without further ado, I present to you the Most Controversial Player 2014...

Most Controversial Player
1 Tywin Lannister - 40
2 CubaQuerida - 23
3 bones / Mogar - 13

...Tywin Laaaaaaannniiisteer! Renowned for strange movie references, vaguely fascistoid ideologies, and an unwavering relentless tide of assault against whatever the current label for DBDC is, this reward is certainly not unexpected. In second place we find his desired target, Cuba. Being Most Immoral and successful draws the ire of many, it seems.

Then we get the category involving those who were too good, too well paid, and too busy to do this, leaving these glorious awards to the sixth-best poster...

Best Poster
1 Gopherbashi - 27
2 Auctor - 17
3 SirWilliam - 13

...pah. Congratulations.

Moving on from this embarrassing defeat in a not-at-all bitter manner, I present to you the Nicest Player award...

Nicest Player
1 Gopherbashi - 18
2 Blank vote / The Warrior - 17
3 White Chocolate - 15

...which goes to Gopherbashi! I guess I just can't stay mad at such a nice guy. Congratulations! In second place we find the Player of the Year, and in a surprise turnaround for the evil Doombirds, we find one of their kind as third nicest! Not even the most immoral alliance is entirely without niceness.

Another appreciated trait is funniness..

Funniest Player
1 Blank vote / Auctor - 22
2 Master Hakai - 20
2 Mogar - 11

...which apparently none of you possess more of than Blank Vote. Auctor is the most least unfunny guy, though, so congratulations to him!

As in the alliance section, we have a Most Likely to Achieve Greatness, which goes to...

Player Most Likely to Achieve Greatness in 2015
1 The Warrior - 28
2 Blank vote - 22
3 Lord Hershey - 20
4 CubaQuerida - 19

...the leader of the alliance that is most likely to succeed. Well, that makes sense, I suppose. Congratulations, anyway!

Occasionally, this place gets new stuff. We like to celebrate that, so it doesn't go away again. The best new addition last year was...

Best New Addition
1 Comics - 41
2 EMPs - 32
3 TAR - 24

...the comics. Posted by the best propagandists, made by the most least unfunny of players, it only makes sense that they'd be the best addition. In second place, we find more destructive nukes, since we are all destructive sadists at heart here. In third place, we find the Apathy Report. It's about ethics in CN journalism.

Alas, there are also some whom we hate. Last years most hated poster was...

Most Hated Poster
1 Tywin Lannister - 78
2 Rotavele - 26
3 Mogar - 19

...Tyyyyyywiiiin Laaaaannnnniiiiiiisteeer! Really, we all knew that. Controversy doesn't come easy. In second place, we find Rotavele. Good riddance. In third place, we find Mogar. I am not sure whether or not to congratulate the recipients of this award.

Having gone through the individual awards, we now have the miscellaneous ones. We start with Best DoW, which goes to...

Best Declaration of War (Alliance Topic)
1 RIA on DBDC - 30
2 IRON on Sparta - 26
3 Blank vote - 23
4 Umbrella on MI6 - 22

...RIA, for hitting DBDC. Honourable alliances fighting immoral ones seems to be a crowd-pleaser indeed.

After this, we find Best Wall of Text, which goes to...

Best Wall of Text
1 Sengoku & DBDC Treaty Announcement - 45
2 Blank vote - 35
3 Rush rates alliances - 23
4 Ambition - 19

...Sengoku, for that literal wall of text that they made. Well deserved. Rush rating alliances was popular this year too, but didn't quite make it. Since I know we're all dying to know, my post made it to seventh place. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Hopefully you'll all come to your senses next year, now that I've made this excellent and completely unbiased awards ceremony post.

As always, we like controversies, so here is another controversy category, won by...

Biggest Controversy
1 DBDC Raids - 36
2 IRON & DBDC NAP - 20
3 Umbrella cancelling MI6 - 18

...DOOM! You don't get to most controversial alliance without making a few controversies. They also, together with IRON, snatched second place.

As usual, we are not all serious and controversial. Sometimes, we like things to be funny, such as...

Funniest Event
1 Tywin in SNX gov - 24
2 Blank vote - 20
3 IRON & DBDC NAP - 19
4 AZTEC rolling Riot Society / Umbrella making MI6 kick out Myth before defending them - 18

...TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN LAAAAAAAAAAANNNIIIIIIIIISTEEER being in SNX gov. Really, what were they thinking? Making the most hated poster a senator?

Another event which interests people is treaty announcements, so of course there's an award for these too. (Jeez, there are a lot of awards.) The winners are...

Best Treaty Announcement
1 DBDC-IRON NAP - 32
2 NPO-Umbrella - 31
3 Blank vote - 27
4 DT/IRON / SRA treaty at R&R - 15

...astoundingly, IRON and DBDC, with NPO and Umbrella coming in second. I seem to recognize this pattern from somewhere. In third we have blank, and fourth, DT, IRON, SRA, and R&R.

However, not all diplomatic moves were as well advised as these, so we also have a category for those less fortunate decisions. This year, it was won by...

Worst Diplomatic Move
1 Valhalla's stance on the war / SNX (Tywin gov/joining AFM/LoSS/GDA) - 20
2 NpO war on DBDC tech sellers - 18
3 Blank vote / IRON's behaviour last war - 16 

...TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYWIIIIIIIIIIN LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNIIIIIISTEEER, along with the rest of the decisions of the early days of Supernova X. However, for once, we got a shared first place, with Valhalla getting a spot in the limelight for their unpopular decision to stay out of the war.

At this point your beloved announcer got tired, and heartbroken at not winning anything, and sat down and rested. GeniusInc nobly came to his rescue, knowing the pain of not having won, with his Apathy Report having lost to some Argent thingy. The subsequent awards were penned by him.

Best Player Quote
1 Blank vote - 36
2 Artigo "Stonewall, the hero the Doomsphere needs." - 33
3 "You're going to get beaten badly, but I know you don't particularly care" - 29
4 "seek peace on your own which we will not give you" MI6 - 27

Apparently all they needed was a bunch of pictures and some weird fonts. Whodaguessed. Now did they deserve these images? That is question we must ask ourselves.

Largest E-Peen
1 CubaQuerida - 40
2 Tywin Lannister - 23
3 Blank vote - 18
4 O Ya Baby - 17

Whether is it  sitting happy at #1 or talking about his daughter, Cuba has managed to accrue the largest "I don't give a !@#$" attitude since.... Well, since my cat this morning. Nonetheless, since my cat was not nominated, Cuba gets the title, which probably won't help matters at all.

Best Villain
1 DBDC - 46
2 CubaQuerida - 35
3 Admin - 21

Like a kid coming home with Halloween candy, DBDC wraps up their presence in this year's awards with Best Villain. With their minions in tow and winning the last war, DBDC seems to be able to do whatever they put their mind to. Including taking everyone else's candy and convincing them that they wanted to give it away.

Worst Sphere
1 Aftermath - 25
2 Neutrals - 22
3 Platysphere / Polarsphere - 20

Perhaps it comes with saying you'll stay out of a war, then acting like it even after you declare war, but whatever it is Aftermath probably has it. Quiet, politically isolated, and still tied to XX, Aftermath has somehow garnered enough attention to rank worst Sphere for 2014. Maybe with this shiny tin foil medal and their new found confidence, they will go on to do great thing next year (including but not limited to winning this award again).

Most Annoying/Worst Poster
1 Tywin Lannister - 73
2 Mogar - 17
3 Blank vote - 16
4 Neo Uruk - 10

TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTEEEER! Sorry, GeniusInc, I'll let you continue with your thing now. //saxasm

Coming in first with a resounding 73 votes, as compared to Mogar's 17, no one can argue with the efficiency with which Tywin annoys the entirety of Planet Bob. Whether is is writing massive essays on Francoism, or using the word bourgeioises, or however it's spelled (He doesn't know, either), out of context whenever possible, Tywin has proven time and time again that when it comes to being OOC, he can IC with the best of them.

At this point, GeniusInc stormed off in a huff about the interruption I caused him during his awards, leaving me to do the last one, which apparently was about the Quietest Power Player.

This award was won by...
Quietest Power Player
1 Blank vote - 26
2 Bob - 19
3 TBRaiders - 14
4 Roquentin / Hime Themis / Letum / Lord Hershey - 13

...no one. Blank vote won. When you think about it, this really shouldn't surprise anyone, since the quietest power player is obviously going to be someone you haven't heard of. Of course we can't have a popular vote on whom the people hasn't heard of the most.

With this failure to appoint a winner of a category, this years awards show is over. I would certainly not have the energy to do even more categories, anyway, so it's no loss that it's over now. I hope you enjoyed it, and that we are still here to enjoy it next year! Edited by saxasm

"DBDC seems to be able to do whatever they put their mind to. Including taking everyone else's candy and convincing them that they wanted to give it away."

That was a brilliant bit of wordsmithing there sir!

I shall spend the rest of 2015 maniacally laughing from my underground lair.

WHAT?! Not even top 4 in largest e-peen? You know you're supposed to get extra points if your e-peen size is undeserved right? -_-

Oh well, at least my alliance won best rookie alliance. Thanks to all who voted for us (and a special thanks to anyone who voted for us more than once!)