Reforms and why they fail...

Evangeline Anovilis

No. If you know how to use a gun, you're gonna be better in a gunfight.

Or you personally could just get better so I don't have to listen to you anymore.

Again, that sounds like a you problem. 

Good luck finding volunteers to deal with our crap.

It hasn't been that way for months, even over a year. Frankly, everyone has pretty much backed off the existence of protectorates. Land is now kept as white space for new nations. You'd know that if you took a look at the map. 

So we should be giving OOC advantages to people? Sounds pretty familar.

1.  I don't think that that the first part is true at all.  I know of a lot of very close friendships during the Martenist Era.  Let us not forget that during the Martenist Era, Kaiser Martens was actually given special stats several times the size of his in game nation by his friends.  If that's not a special treatment for a hegemon I do not what is.  They all agreed Lavo got special planes that could dog fight at Mach 3.  That top tier got a lot of 'special' perks.

I should definitely avoid wars by hiding in peace mode or jumping to a neutral AA specifically to join a RP that is allegedly for enjoyment, even though those statistics are apparently all that matter due to the whole OOC advantages being granted to certain players due to their OOC career.

Sounds like it happened to more than just me, the Chinese invasion of Great Britain in RP1 is a spectacular example of this occurring, "plotting is bad mmmkay", shall I continue?

I don't expect to, the problem is the entire community itself, not RP1, not RP2, not RPA, it really IS a competitive and destructive environment, and one that most people don't enjoy over a collaborative and respectful one.

I wonder what could have possibly happened around a year ago that served as a catalyst for that to occur? you expect the smaller nations to accept inchs when you are given miles, its no wonder what the RP1 and RP2 maps actually look like.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't been that way for months, even over a year. Frankly, everyone has pretty much backed off the existence of protectorates. Land is now kept as white space for new nations. You'd know that if you took a look at the map. 

This one is laughable !@#$%^&*. None of the interesting land isn't covered by a huge blob of color. The Protectorates only covered the boring land that is rarely wanted by anyone. I know, I took a look at the map the other day considering where I would roll if I wanted to join and I came up with "Nowhere."

And the rest of it goes a long way to prove the point that the other CNRPAers are stating that basically say "No one in CNRP wants to change." So you're not really helping Eva out here.

Edited by Shave N Haircut

This one is laughable !@#$%^&*. None of the interesting land isn't covered by a huge blob of color. The Protectorates only covered the boring land that is rarely wanted by anyone. I know, I took a look at the map the other day considering where I would roll if I wanted to join and I came up with "Nowhere."

Africa is interesting :(

Edited by Mr Director

You want genuine reforms?

1) OOC knowledge of military systems should not provide an IC advantage

2) No multipliers over a certain NS limit, I would even go as far as the IG average, even though I personally will pass that within a few months of rebuilding. 

3) OOC provocations and harassment through IC means should be punished severely(Not that I would expect the current GM team within RP1 to actually ever enforce it against anyone else in the club.)

4) GMs should not have nations, removing any personal bias from the equation, since the entire concept of voting means there is going to be the #hegemon faction, and then everyone else.

5) Total land occupied(Nation holdings and Protectorates), limited to remove any potential of 2(3 if you actually feel that MGL counts) powers controlling 95% of land on the map.

There's a good start, I can think of plenty more if you'd like. :)

Mogar has brought up some good points, but 4 is totally out of the question. In what rp are GM's not allowed to have nations? 1 and 3 I agree with you on completely. 5, people, including myself and IA should scale back, but it seems unfair to say that is a cause of the division in CNRP when I look at cnrpa's map.

Mogar has brought up some good points, but 4 is totally out of the question. In what rp are GM's not allowed to have nations? 1 and 3 I agree with you on completely. 5, people, including myself and IA should scale back, but it seems unfair to say that is a cause of the division in CNRP when I look at cnrpa's map.

Leaving 1 and 3 since you concur, 4 is the only way I can see a removal of a politicized GM election.

as for 5, I'm hilariously over extended and was actively seeking a drawn out losing war against Dillon, but he did not wish to fight one so we resolved it diplomatically instead, I expect my over extension to eventually play out in a losing war, but that I suppose is yet another example of a different mentality. in the almost war with Dillon I made sure to make it clear that one of his actions would have afforded me the ability to sink nearly 1/3rd of his fleet without any recourse from him, I'm not playing Machiavelli simulator 2015, I am playing a RP game with other people and if fighting a war isnt fun for Dillon why the $%&@ should I force him to fight one? Ty and JED as well would be considered incredibly over extended. France not anywhere near as much, and everyone else is only on a small patch of land the size of a RL country.

Interesting land is subjective.  People can make any part of the world interesting if they put effort into it.  You can also work to recover it.

Except when you have to fight Tianxia, Athens, Russia, whatever nation Sarah is, and whomever you recruited to vote in the GM elections for you, it becomes quite a bit more effort to work to recover it, since you are facing over a million NS in statistics, as well as the obvious fact quite simply people are unable to be left alone in your glorious hegemonic world, or are left ignored, depending on your opinion of them OOC.

Edited by Mogar

I'm sure a good few people would deem Korea interesting. The Middle East and Africa can be too, as MrDirector said. I do see though that for people like you, not much is around. But while I can't say France is going to be open soon, you may have seen, the Americas are opening up (or being opened up by Japanese military force).

I'm sure a good few people would deem Korea interesting. The Middle East and Africa can be too, as MrDirector said. I do see though that for people like you, not much is around. But while I can't say France is going to be open soon, you may have seen, the Americas are opening up (or being opened up by Japanese military force).

Nobody else is going to roll in next to Triyun besides you, you are fully aware of this. Africa and Middle East limits you incredibly on the type of nation you are, and everything else(the parts that people actually want to RP) is controlled by #hegemon.

Edited by Mogar

Interesting land is subjective.  People can make any part of the world interesting if they put effort into it.  You can also work to recover it.

You're right, it is subjective, and from my perspective, (AKA, the only one that matters to me) it's all either boring rubbish or in my No-Go zone, which is to say the area that I could roll which would necessitate being the next best thing to a protectorate/an attempt at getting my head smashed in.

I don't want to make land interesting for other people, I want to make it interesting for me. Africa doesn't do that for me, and anything within a few thousand miles of an existing power implies more bullshit than I want to go through.

None of the interesting land isn't covered by a huge blob of color.

Land isn't interesting unless you want to live in the Himalayas or something.  Culture is the interesting bit, and a year ago we ruled that people could RP whatever culture they wanted anywhere in the world they wanted. You can be French Australians, Chinese people in the Congo, or Germans in Argentina (ones who didn't get there in 1946).

Africa is interesting :(

It is because you're there.   :ehm: 

5, people, including myself and IA should scale back

NYET! RUSSIA IS STRONK!

Land isn't interesting unless you want to live in the Himalayas or something.  Culture is the interesting bit, and a year ago we ruled that people could RP whatever culture they wanted anywhere in the world they wanted. You can be French Australians, Chinese people in the Congo, or Germans in Argentina (ones who didn't get there in 1946).

This reads more like a joke than anything else. Being French isn't any good if you're not in France. Being Polish !@#$@#$ sucks if you're not in Poland. There's no point in being Japanese if your country can't be called "Japan" in a serious sense. This is a cop-out. You can't seriously try to feed this when every major culture on the map is sitting right on the spot they're supposed to be.

Except when you have to fight Tianxia, Athens, Russia, whatever nation Sarah is, and whomever you recruited to vote in the GM elections for you, it becomes quite a bit more effort to work to recover it, since you are facing over a million NS in statistics, as well as the obvious fact quite simply people are unable to be left alone in your glorious hegemonic world, or are left ignored, depending on your opinion of them OOC.

Well, you either want to be left alone or not be ignored. Both is kind of hard to achieve, given it's mutually exclusive. I can pay you attention every second day though, but then you'd just say I'm not constant in my actions.

Nobody else is going to roll in next to Triyun besides you, you are fully aware of this. Africa and Middle East limits you incredibly on the type of nation you are, and everything else(the parts that people actually want to RP) is controlled by #hegemon.

Markus went there. He finally got taken out by inactivity (and me acting on it). Triyun's threat posture towards Korea is miniscule at worst and there's still Japan which cares about the peninsula. So, it's not like you are setting yourself up for suicide there.

You're right, it is subjective, and from my perspective, (AKA, the only one that matters to me) it's all either boring rubbish or in my No-Go zone, which is to say the area that I could roll which would necessitate being the next best thing to a protectorate/an attempt at getting my head smashed in.

I don't want to make land interesting for other people, I want to make it interesting for me. Africa doesn't do that for me, and anything within a few thousand miles of an existing power implies more !@#$%^&* than I want to go through.

The Americas have oceans inbetween them and the rest, there are beautiful landscapes, there's Canada, Latin America and that thing inbetween that's obsolete already.

This reads more like a joke than anything else. Being French isn't any good if you're not in France. Being Polish !@#$@#$ sucks if you're not in Poland. There's no point in being Japanese if your country can't be called "Japan" in a serious sense. This is a cop-out. You can't seriously try to feed this when every major culture on the map is sitting right on the spot they're supposed to be.

My favourite Germanic state still is Grand Papua.

You youngins know nothing.  When I joined CNRP 7 years ago, this was the way the world worked.  The entire western part of the US was Irish, Texas was German, India was Russian, Australia was Finnish, and so on, and so forth.

Man, I miss that world. Why cant we bring that back? :(

You youngins know nothing.  When I joined CNRP 7 years ago, this was the way the world worked.  The entire western part of the US was Irish, Texas was German, India was Russian, Australia was Finnish, and so on, and so forth.  

The Americas have oceans inbetween them and the rest, there are beautiful landscapes, there's Canada, Latin America and that thing inbetween that's obsolete already.

My favourite Germanic state still is Grand Papua.

Again, as so very well stated by one "Triyun," interesting is subjective. I don't care how the world worked, I don't give a damn which German state was most interesting to whom. The culture is just as important as the land it's on or the map would hardly be necessary, in my opinion. No offense meant of course.

And yes, the only place that really interests me is Canada, but that still leaves the problem of the people I'd be forced to associate with on a regular basis to even pretend to be involved in the RP.

Again, as so very well stated by one "Triyun," interesting is subjective. I don't care how the world worked, I don't give a damn which German state was most interesting to whom. The culture is just as important as the land it's on or the map would hardly be necessary, in my opinion. No offense meant of course.

The map is good for knowing who your neighbors are. That was probably the purpose of the map in the first place, to kinda standardize the layout of nations in CNRP. Everything else really is irrelevant in the long run.

And yes, the only place that really interests me is Canada, but that still leaves the problem of the people I'd be forced to associate with on a regular basis to even pretend to be involved in the RP.

Mostly used Grand Papua to point out, culture isn't restricted. I can see your point to a degree though.

For Canada, feel free to ask MGL. He should be checking his messages within the next two weeks, when he checks in to avoid inactivity.

Regardless of land issues, on which I keep my position, there's still the issue of the people/environment. The only people who are still blobs on the map who I've ever even had a mildly pleasant experience with are Eva and Cent and I've had waaaaay more negative experiences with Cent than positive.

Again, as I've stated before, I am almost exclusively greeted with outright hostility or dedicated belittling even just in the Irc channel, no nation required. I can't even imagine how much worse it'd be if I was actually involved.

India was a Russian colony, but the rest are pretty accurate.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I also don't like Mogar's second idea of not allowing high NSers to use multipliers. It seems unfair that I can only have 100k soldiers while someone half my strength can apply the multiplier to their army and have 10x what I have. I'd prefer if we could level things out and have all multipliers applied to everyone evenly rather than have weighted multipliers that make the strong stronger and the weak weaker. Unfortunately nobody seems to agree. Most either want to cripple the large people and give the little guys a huge advantage or vice versa.

Edited by Justinian the Mighty

Regardless of land issues, on which I keep my position, there's still the issue of the people/environment. The only people who are still blobs on the map who I've ever even had a mildly pleasant experience with are Eva and Cent and I've had waaaaay more negative experiences with Cent than positive.

Again, as I've stated before, I am almost exclusively greeted with outright hostility or dedicated belittling even just in the Irc channel, no nation required. I can't even imagine how much worse it'd be if I was actually involved.

Owning Japan and Micronesia with a protectorate over Korea is now being a blob? I mean, ok, I own South Sakhalin and the Kurils too, but I don't own the Ryukyus in return. Micronesia might be large territory-wise, but neither do people particularly favour making nations there, nor is it a substantial land-mass overall. And if someone wants to RP some non-communist Korea, they can ask me. They get a trained army and up to 16 ships (provided you can keep them) IC from me with their independence. But yeah, I'm a bit too humble to be a genuine blob.

Owning Japan and Micronesia with a protectorate over Korea is now being a blob? I mean, ok, I own South Sakhalin and the Kurils too, but I don't own the Ryukyus in return. Micronesia might be large territory-wise, but neither do people particularly favour making nations there, nor is it a substantial land-mass overall. And if someone wants to RP some non-communist Korea, they can ask me. They get a trained army and up to 16 ships (provided you can keep them) IC from me with their independence. But yeah, I'm a bit too humble to be a genuine blob.

A case of poor wording. You're not really a blob.