Top 5 alliances with biggest Political impact on Digiterra all time.

Hime Themis

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Former MK rating MK over NPO.  Oddly, most of MK's impact was more or less a direct result of and response to NPO.

Only very recently did Pacifica really fall out of having a great influence.  But taken as a whole history of this world, Pacifica probably has had more of an impact than all others combined.

I'm with the folks rating DBDC as "too soon to tell."  Things can still happen and it's in the realm of possibility that they could just fart out of existence for whatever random reason, like many other alliances that once seemed destined for greatness, but if they stay where they are for a while, they'll definitely make it into Top Five consideration.

Edited by HeroofTime55

Of course taste for how the game was run when whichever alliance was on top is going to influence this. Both alliances were incredibly dominant during their runs on top, to the point that most people would consider them equal. Neither alliance would be wrong in claiming dominance of CN, and most would agree that the other is at worst an incredibly strong #2.

If you thought NPO running things killed the game because it was too "bland" or did too much to cripple its enemies (ie, forcing some to play at ZI even after re-rolling) then you'd vote for MK.

If you thought MK running things killed the game because it was too chaotic and invasive (ie, several incidents of breaching the "IC/OOC" line) then you'd vote for NPO.

Of course taste for how the game was run when whichever alliance was on top is going to influence this. Both alliances were incredibly dominant during their runs on top, to the point that most people would consider them equal. Neither alliance would be wrong in claiming dominance of CN, and most would agree that the other is at worst an incredibly strong #2.

If you thought NPO running things killed the game because it was too "bland" or did too much to cripple its enemies (ie, forcing some to play at ZI even after re-rolling) then you'd vote for MK.

If you thought MK running things killed the game because it was too chaotic and invasive (ie, several incidents of breaching the "IC/OOC" line) then you'd vote for NPO.

I think the assessment of them being in slots 1 and 2 is accurate, but I have to give it to NPO here.  I will be generous and credit MK with what LUE did as well, and you can say that the NPO/MK dynamic has certainly been the greatest driving force in this game by far.

But at the end of the day, in my mind, MK spent most of their existence as a response to NPO, and only in their last few years did they eventually find a voice of their own.  NPO, on the other hand, did not require MK's existence to compliment their own, at least not anywhere to the degree that MK required NPO's existence to define themselves.

Couple that with MK folding as they fell from relevance, while NPO has continued on in good times and bad, and my number one spot goes to Pacifica, easily.

MK folding as they fell from relevance is the wrong order of events, but otherwise I suppose I can agree. Without NPO (or another, equally strong hegemon -- which I doubt anyone could have pulled off) for foil, Archon's writings could have been less convincing. As it was, MK rose via being one of the heroes of the Karma War, and then having the brainpower to know when to pull the trigger on their enemies and when to wait it out.