Ambition

Unknown Smurf

EVERYBODY goes to war for what they think is necessary and a good reason.

We fight to defend ourselves or if we feel threatened. Our current opponents have not offered a reason, but it certainly is not for either of those reasons, so your pretense of moral equivalency is false. I maintain that wars out of boredom, lulz and plunder are harmful to everyone, including the "winnerz."

Offered the same terms this war, you would likely sing a different tune. Public opinion in that thread certainly had several people saying it was harsh.

Our former opponents are doing just fine. We did not conquer them, subjugate them or loot from them. What our opponents intend, we can only guess. We will have to see, but there are somethings that we will not be forced into doing and are prepared to resist as long as it takes.

you two are using the same justifications for your actions.

I would need to see a comparison of quotes from our leadership and theirs to justify that other moral equivalency.

Bob has been playing checkers while they have been playing 3D chess.This is why you are losing now.

If you can only define success or failure in terms of numbers, i cannot argue that point. I am saying others define these differently.

Which is what it will take to ever defeat DBDC, just like the previous hegemonies.  People complain about the villain when they are around, and complain that Bob stagnates without a villain.  Well, you've got your villain.

This I find bizarre. Without people breaking into houses, plundering and pillaging there would be no prosperity? Without people who might be interested in politics, international discourse, economics, culture, religion, ideology, etc. being forced to only do warz-n-stuff, we would be much worse off?

Preposterous!

I think they are here to create interest on Bob again. 

These are people who have limited capacity for politics and rhetoric, so they and those like them are imposing their limitations on the rest of the world by force. They cannot persuade, so they destroy. As Morgaine rightly pointed out, that is not interesting; it is boring.

Walls of text are not very interesting, and won't stop them. If you're waiting for the easy way, I think you'll be waiting a long time.

By that I take it to mean that we are "beaten" we should just shut up and bend over. Too bad if you don't like it, but those who know me are aware that force does not silence me. And oh yea, I and Polaris is looking for the "easy way." That is our reputation.

You never win at chicken if you keep swerving out of the way -- which Polar and everyone else have done up until now.  Polar fights now only because DBDC forced the issue. 

We fight now for the same reasons as has it has always been since I have been here: in self-defense or if we feel threatened. This is not due to any creativity on our opponents' part. We have gotten through worse with our integrity intact and will do the same again. We are not going anywhere and will not change no matter how small our nations get. We value other things more than pixels -- things that cannot be destroyed. Things that our opponents will never have.

Fact is, no one has kept DBDC at war for longer than they wanted to be, and that is what it will take to win.  You keep calling them barbarians, but they are not some mindless horde sweeping through Bob -- this is the most mindful horde you've ever come across, and you keep ignoring that fact at your own peril. Better break out those sticks and stones, because the names don't seem to be hurting them.

This is more complaining about not shutting up. I and others have just been kvetching and name-calling.  Maybe you need to read these posts again and see if there is something else. Y'know, like Bob would be much better and more interesting if we had different approaches to functioning on Bob other than lulz-n-warz.

Edited by Walford

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polar fights now only because DBDC forced the issue.  Fact is, no one has kept DBDC at war for longer than they wanted to be, and that is what it will take to win.  You keep calling them barbarians, but they are not some mindless horde sweeping through Bob -- this is the most mindful horde you've ever come across, and you keep ignoring that fact at your own peril. Better break out those sticks and stones, because the names don't seem to be hurting them.

A lot of good stuff in there, a small comment on this bit though. From my completely nonscientific survey of the current fighting, Polar may not be able to strike back directly at this point, but they are being pretty active both with aid and offensive declarations. They havent rolled over, they arent begging for peace, and at least on the surface they seem to have stabilized into a range where they can maintain and fight back effectively. So I don't think it's fair to imply they are not picking up the sticks and stones and using them. Fighting takes relatively little time so posting does not necessarily detract from it.

A lot of good stuff in there, a small comment on this bit though. From my completely nonscientific survey of the current fighting, Polar may not be able to strike back directly at this point, but they are being pretty active both with aid and offensive declarations. They havent rolled over, they arent begging for peace, and at least on the surface they seem to have stabilized into a range where they can maintain and fight back effectively. So I don't think it's fair to imply they are not picking up the sticks and stones and using them. Fighting takes relatively little time so posting does not necessarily detract from it.

Oh, Polar is fighting tooth and nail, no doubt.  But they cannot prevail militarily -- that was a reference to the rest of Planet Bob who feels similarly. DBDC -- intentionally, I think -- opened a door by attacking WTF.  Whether the rest of Planet Bob who feel they have everything to lose pick up their sticks and go through that door or wait and see and hope that WTF and Polar solve their problems will be interesting.  WTF's involvement provides their best chance -- how often do you get a chance to go to war with them on your side?

Interesting times.

Oh, Polar is fighting tooth and nail, no doubt.  But they cannot prevail militarily...

"Prevail" is a matter of perspective. Our objectives are eminently doable regardless of the numbers. Our opponents' objective? Hard to say if they have one. Doesn't matter.

Interesting times.

Yea, roving gangs fighting over bones and rubble is fascinating.

sounds like a question for your emperor not the OWF.

If he's forcing us to fight. Yea, it's like Stalingrad; the officers are pointing weapons at our backs and shooting us if we retreat.

Edited by Walford

Oh, Polar is fighting tooth and nail, no doubt.  But they cannot prevail militarily -- that was a reference to the rest of Planet Bob who feels similarly. DBDC -- intentionally, I think -- opened a door by attacking WTF.  Whether the rest of Planet Bob who feel they have everything to lose pick up their sticks and go through that door or wait and see and hope that WTF and Polar solve their problems will be interesting.  WTF's involvement provides their best chance -- how often do you get a chance to go to war with them on your side?

Interesting times.

What exactly do you mean by 'prevail militarily?'  I am honestly not sure exactly what you mean there, but I think I disagree with it. There is a very large difference between a titanically difficult task and an actually impossible one.

As to people rallying to WTF, I really don't know how to evaluate that. Less than impossible, perhaps, but the general sentiment of hatred towards neutrals makes it seem unlikely. The quality and nature of the war they wage may still affect it, of course. If they do roll over quickly then the possibility will be cut off, but if they drag out a serious war of resistance who knows?

why don't they take on WTF, and then we'll see their mettle!

Asked and answered, counselor!  

And the saddest part about all of this is that despite their massive infra and tech stockpiles which not only rivaled but surpassed many DBDC nations, they still turtled like absolute pussies from day one.  They could have done CONSIDERABLY more damage if they had gone balls to the wall.  Their coordination was much better than we anticipated, but because they were too afraid to fight a ground war they were ground into the dust.

We were completely outnumbered and outgunned 2v4.  Some Doombird's like Colin were fighting 2v5 and yet... no GAs. 

Now they're staggered and their nations are being destroyed without causing the damage we had expected.  It's so sad to see real, well-built nations absolutely tank because their rulers are afraid.  I have nothing else to say about WTF except I am disappointed and they will be forgotten as if they had never existed.

sounds like a question for your emperor not the OWF.

I'm happy to answer that right here, it's no secret.
Polaris will continue to fight until our allies are out of this war.
Be that a day, a week, a month or whatever.

I'm happy to answer that right here, it's no secret.
Polaris will continue to fight until our allies are out of this war.
Be that a day, a week, a month or whatever.

You and I know why we all fight, but to some it's sounding like a higher moral calling.  It's not.

What exactly do you mean by 'prevail militarily?'  I am honestly not sure exactly what you mean there, but I think I disagree with it. There is a very large difference between a titanically difficult task and an actually impossible one.

I guess I meant win the war vs. the dogpile they are facing. Maybe there's a plan there I don't see, fake "the Alamo" and pull off "Marathon".  I guess anything is possible.  Militarily, it's a longshot, I would think.  Maybe there is a moral victory I don't see -- I don't see how a moral victory will beat DBDC, though.  Maybe I'm short-sighted.

You and I know why we all fight, but to some it's sounding like a higher moral calling.  It's not.

Who is citing a moral crusade? I and others have been accused of as much by our opponents and their host of hangers-on, but nay, it is simpler than that. It is one of the survival or death of this entire Planet. 

I am not saying that the future of us all hangs in the balance in this particular war, but wars of this kind take away choices from others who might want to expand their horizons beyond childish war-games and instead enjoy a richer (and more mature) experience in the international arena. The long-term result of this trend is predictable enough: the continued decline of our population and the continued slide into the dominant culture being interesting to the adolescent mentality only.

This prospect is very motivating to those who are in resistance. Very motivating.

As for your motivation and what you ultimately hope to accomplish, we can only speculate. Which we do freely. If you are offended by the speculation, kindly enlighten us. 

For all we know, this is ultimately a game of King of the Hill to you and your your fondest dream is to wipe out the entire Planet and then have fun destroying each other until the last one standing is declared the victor. I could envision many on your side would consider that to be an accomplishment of sorts, albeit only fleetingly gratifying. Perhaps you are not capable of planning that far ahead and do not care if such an apocalypse were to come to pass. Most certainly you would blame others if it did.

Preventing that or any objective that would continue to erode this Planet is very motivating indeed.

Edited by Morgaine

More like the caterwalling, weeping, and gnashing of teeth of those that built their own hell.

I've been in a similar place of my own design once or twice. Not a good spot to stop. Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

So who's the target here? I remember when the war against SNX started you were all claiming it was Polar. Why the sudden change?

One particular alliance hasn't taken enough licks for your coalition's satisfaction, and until that happens Polar and the rest of XX will be stuck in war.