Mediterranean Trade

Centurius

Aristaeus was quite surprised with the warm welcome his hosts had offered. As a senior politician who had built a name for diplomacy in the Ekklesia he was considered the best candidate to negotiate with the Federation however he had entirely expected it to be a one-way trip for himself and his entire delegation. That being said, once they had settled in at their temporary location Aristaeus would make his way to the Doge. With him would be various aides who brought with them chests of gifts the League had decided to gift to the Federation to make talking easier.

The Torchitorio Palace was a flurry of activity. Doge Mariano had word of the League's ambassador being on his way to make good on the Doge's invitation. He was much more used to banquets with more local guests who had known tastes and preferences. This Aristaeus presented a unique challenge, but one that Mariano would refuse get in the the way of good business. A wide variety of food and drink options would be presented in the hopes something would strike and make for a best impression. A large boar hunted from a near forest, a fine beef, mutton from the Doge's personal herd, the freshest bread Sassari could offer, an assortment of Mediterranean fish, several pheasants, hen eggs hard and soft boiled, figs, cabbage, chestnuts, beans, hare, and even some squid. To accompany the food would be an assortment of beer and ale from the north, mead imported from the one the last brewers in the northern Germanic regions, even some milk from cattle was provided should it fit the taste of Aristaeus or his entourage. And of course, fine wines of Sardinia and Corsica brought up from the cellar to serve as a proud offering of the Federation's wine culture. Many of the options were thanks to suggestions by Doge Mariano's eldest son, Orzoccore.

Art from the private collection was also brought to the dining hall in the hope they could impress the representative from a land and of a religion with great appreciation for pieces of art. The musing about art brought a new thought to the mind of Doge Mariano. Though their religion heathenish, perhaps a respect could be found similar to the appreciation Orzoccore gave to the eastern lands. After all, the great empires of Greece and Rome shared many Pagan views before light was brought to them. Perhaps a harking back to the views of antiquity was something that could be tolerated, if it minded its business.

The sound of a bell rang through the mansion, which was to have denoted the arrival of Aristaeus at the gates. Time for preparation and contemplation was over, the time to impress and conduct business had arrived.

Edited by James Spanier

Impressed was perhaps an understatement to describe how Aristaeus felt as he was guided in. It was clear their hosts had spared no expense to make the Greek feel welcome, the art was truly beautiful and in many ways reinforced his already held believes that the Italians were truly one of the most developed people in Europe. While having converted to the Hellenicistic faith himself he never considered himself much of a fanatic. At least not like the younger ones. As a result of this he could still appreciate the ways of the Christians as well. Once he was allowed to approach the Doge the aides would put the chests on the ground before the Doge as Aristaeus bowed slightly. "Thank you for receiving me Your Serenity. On behalf of the Athenian League I would like to offer these gifts. Silver from the mines of Laurium, Pottery from our best artisans and the finest silk from our trade"

Mariano could spot the positive reaction of Aristaeus and members of his entourage. He was also delighted to see that the ambassador brought with gifts. The situation was on course to something much more familiar than Mariano had expected, which allowed for him to release tension that had been building over the proceedings.

"You are most welcome in the home of my family, Your Excellency. And I accept your offer of these gifts that you have brought before me with the highest appreciation. Such fine wealth and luxury will find a fitting home in the Torchitorio Palace. I will be sure as well to send gifts as excellent back to your homeland in kind. Now please, come join my family and councilors in the dining hall, you must long for a robust meal after your journey. Seating enough for all in your company is waiting. We can speak of business after the feast."

Doge Mariano felt a genuine smile adorn his face as he gestured his arm in the direction of the dining hall.

Upon the conclusion of the feast Aristaeus could say he had truly felt like he was at home here. It was a good indication of what future relations would provide and the Federation had shown itself fairly trustworthy here. "I can not thank you enough for this reception Your Serenity, as for business. My government has asked me to facilitate greater cooperation between the League and the Federation. Athens can provide you with excellent access to the trade routes with the Far East and with your dominance over the Western Mediterranean you decide who can trade in this sea. It is my hope that we can use this potential of profit to leverage a stronger tie later on"

Mariano was content that all had gone well thus far. Now Aristaeus made for a true dessert to follow such a fine meal: the notion of establishing trade relations.

"To have denied a visitor such of your status the proper function and facilities would have been uncouth, Your Excellency. Now, the Federation does indeed derive much wealth and commerce control in the west via purchase and sale agreements from the old Genoese and Pisan ports. Access extending our routes to the Far East would be a welcome boost to the mercantile status of the Federation. As it currently stands, there is demand for certain commodities which we ourselves lack decent, and in some cases any, supply that are abundant in the east. Saffron is one such example. As such I am quite open to the idea of working out a profitable relationship with the League, and am interested in what your government would be willing to put forward as an offer."