Cascadia-Northlands Diplomacy

Californian

As Rachel Ortega-Vazquez left the Pacific Rim meeting, she would contact the Cascadian foreign affairs ministry to set up a meeting to discuss relations between the two nations. As the Deputy Officer for the Pacific Region, she would offer to host the meeting in Fiji, or else in Cascadia given the current hostilities in the Pacific. 

After Mark left the Pacific Conference he would board his plane and set off for home. About 10 minutes into the flight the message from the Northlands was received and Mark's plane would make his way to Fiji.

To: Rachel Ortega-Vazquez 

Cascadia would be happy to send a diplomat to Fiji. Infact my son, who I am sure you saw get harassed at the Pacific Conference, will reroute his plane and land in Fiji. 

Best Wishes, Alan

Various preparations were made ready and soon enough Mark would find himself face to face with Rachel, this time in a meeting hall in Fiji. The government owned building was one of the newer buildings in the city, having been built during the expansion of the local naval base, and it allowed for the Northlands and her allies to conduct business with little interruption.

"Mr. Wymore, it's a pleasure to see you once again, this time in better company," she would smile, the only other people in the room being some aides. "I hope you're doing well? I was fairly disgusted by the way your delegation was treated and wanted to make sure you knew the Northlands continues to support Cascadia as one of our strongest friends in the region."

"After the debacle the Pacific Rim Conference became, the Northlands is wary of certain nations in the Pacific region and we are naturally eager to continue closer cooperation with allies such as Cascadia. I was hoping we could discuss the status of the treaty between our nations, and perhaps find other areas to collaborate on as well."

Mark smiled as he approached Rachel, "It is great to see you as well and these are definitely better circumstances," he laughed a bit at his joke. "I feel better now that I am in allied territory. I was terrified that I had to continue travelling through East Asian airspace. I thought my plane was gonna get shot down by them. Alas it was not and I am now face to face with you once more.

Yes what happened at the Pacific Rim conference was absolutely dreadful. I have been spoken to like that and hopefully it will never occur again, but to think that some of the delegates and their respective nations agreed with that shebeast, it is ludicrous. Hopefully one day I can forget it happened. An upgrade to our current treaty would be excellent. There are always more things we could do to unify our governments and I would love to her any ideas you have. As one of our longtime allies we respect everything the Northlands does and will do."

"Excellent, we both seem to think an upgrade in our treaty is appropriate, so here's an updated version of our treaty complete with a mutual defense clause." She would slide over some documents to Mark. It would contain the old treaty, with the optional defense clause replaced by mutual defense.

"As you mentioned I was also disappointed with several of the nations at the conference. We want to befriend nations that are peaceful and are on good terms with our allies, so I was wondering if you could tell me about Cascadia's opinion on some of the other nations in the region. Naggaroth seemed especially hostile, however perhaps you could tell me more about some of the nations we are less familiar with such as the California Republic, UCS, and Catalina Islands. With California controlling part of the west coast and the UCS the Panama Canal, we were contemplating reaching out and wished your opinion. 

Since we now have a mutual defense treaty, I think one area of further cooperation is military. Would you have any interests in conducting some joint naval exercises in the Pacific with us? We are less accustomed to operating in the Pacific than say, in the Atlantic, and believe this would be a good way to get used to working together.

Additionally, Cascadia is welcome to use Northlandic facilities for its military as it deems necessary, with our bases in Fiji and the Pitcairn Islands being the most relevant. As you can see, we have no bases really that close to Cascadia should it come under attack so we were wondering if it might be possible to lease a port, or dock space at a port, for our navy and military on the west coast. With the recent transgression into Alaska, and with the large volume of Northlandic shipping to Cascadia especially with the new Maltese trading post, we think its crucial to be able to protect Northlandic and Cascadian interests in the area and think that would be especially helpful to ensure we could support you as quickly as possible. The devil is in the details for logistical matters like this, I'm afraid."

She would pause, letting him take in the several talking points she had brought up.

Edited by Californian

• 2 weeks later...

Mark would straighten the treaty out after it was slid over to him. He quickly wrote his name locking the two countries in as mutual defense allies. (Firends 4 Lyfe) "Yes an upgrade to our the has been needed and it is good that one has finally been accomplished.

The other nations that are considered trustworthy would be Texas and California. We actually hold Texas in a very high regard considering their response to Japans attempt to annex the whole of Alaska. Their quick and large response has created a debt we fear we cannot pay. They continued to prove trustworthy after California attempted to take the southern portion of my home state of Oregon. After this incident occurred my father and the Governor of Texas sat down with one of the Californian leaders and resolved the crisis. Following this the Californian leader we met with declared rebellion and won after a short war. We assisted them during the civil war and because of that we are closer to them. The Catalina Islands recently were discovered to have had their government fall. Regarding the UCS we found the them to be neutral and that they protect Central and South America. There is one concern in North America though, The Plains Federation. Their sudden attack on The Republic of Texas is not okay and I fear Cascadia will be getting involved soon.

As for the Naval exercises I think that would be a great idea. A functional navy is a very key thing when controlling as many Pacific Islands as you do. Have your Naval Minister call ours, and I am sure they will arrange something. Also, Cascadia will gladly let you have access to our ports for military usage.