The Minister of Foreign Affairs was preparing himself for the meeting when he got word of his counterpart's arrival. "Ah, excellent, send him in please!" he said to his secretary, who went to fetch the Alvonian.

When he arrived Francoise stood, "Ah, Monsieur Powers, a pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise, Monsieur Francoise," Finn said extending a hand. "You really need some better security around here, I managed to sneak in this little ditty unnoticed!" Finn pulled out a small bottle of scotch as he said this, opening and taking a sip of it afterwards. "So," he added," What can Alvonia do for France?"

"Well as you well know France and Alvonia have benefited from informal dealings in the past as well as those involved in the late European Community." He smirks as he remembers what the European Community had been initially made for, "We would like to make the rather positive relationship we've enjoyed something formally recognized by treaty."

"We were going to form that treaty organization with the Russians but that didn't work out quite as we expected, as I'm sure you remember as well." he nods, "So I'm thinking we'll just get it done between the two of us this time, now that the Russians are... different. We wish a tight military treaty, Mutual Defense, Aggression if desired, drills and exercises every few years, hell, we might even admit Alvonian troops to our annual games if you would be at all interested."

"A diplomat after my own heart," Finn commented. "Yeah, I remember reading over the notes of that meeting when I came into office. Now you're talking about defense and aggression, right? That's been the talk in Vienna for a while too, everybody wants to ride the French train to military cooperation. I remember the man before me, Tresler, he really wanted to get something like that going. Shame he left before that could be realized."

"Anyway, I'm getting off the point here. Mutual defense sounds good. Let's talk about some goals first before we think about aggression. Who does France see herself fighting soon?"

"Can never be too cautious." he leans back and smiles a little, "There are several areas that have our concern and if anyone gets too uppity we would like to know that we have Alvonia's support in putting them down, so long as it is agreeable to your people as well. After all, that was the nature of the very nearly negociated treaty with the Russians, an international intervention force to help keep the peace as well as possible."

"South Pacific, Mediterranean, Britain, and Poland." she says, "We've been thinking that an intervention into Poland would be a good idea, what with the wanton bloodshed in the area." he says, "I'm almost positive that two of those locations aren't terribly worrisome to you though. Poland is one of our highest concerns frankly."

"Ah, Poland." Finn said, almost sighing as he did so. "There's a lot of pissed-off Poles in our country right now, and the people involving themselves there aren't making it any easier. And you're right, to be frank Alvonia only cares about the Med because we lease a port out of Koper, but we're hoping that's going to change soon. Regardless, whatever France decides with that, just send the word and the Wehrmacht will help out what whatever you need."

"We're taking in a lot of Poles right now, soon on an official basis." he shrugged, "The thought of intervention only crosses our minds because we don't trust Belarus with the safety of the civilians there and we don't wish to see another partition happen. We share a deep cultural connection with the Poles and we wish to respect that, but any intervention at the present time would be out of place, we must wait and see what happens. Ideally we would see the entire area turned over to Malta's jurisdiction, though we wouldn't wish it to become an occupation. The simple fact is that Belarus' track record worries us."

"And we would support a bid for Venice if you wished. Not militarily of course, and we don't believe it would go over well with our allies in Yugoslavia, but we would voice support."

"I don't blame you," Finn added, "If we're speaking honestly here, sir, Alvonia would much rather Poland be independent, though no real movement has shown itself to be stable enough to last more than a year. Shame, that. Even larger shame that so many of our people can't go home again. Have you been reading the reports coming out of our own country? Reminds me of Ireland."

"Venice? Oh, no, Venice isn't on our radar. Leave Italy for the Italians. We couldn't find enough Italians to form an army division, but we somehow did it anyway. Honestly, a lot of us in the government have thought of just setting it free. Barely any Italians there think of themselves as Alvonians, won't even take the Alvonian label like the Poles and Czechs have. Only reason we have the damn place is because of that Romanian queen who thought she was compensating us by 'allowing' us to annex it. You believe that? Allowing. Actual wording the treaty used."

"Positively disrespectful." he says, sipping on some wine he kept in a water bottle on his desk, remembering his conversation with the Romanians back in the day, "So how do you mean to change the effect you have on the Mediterranean if not by the annexation of some poor Italian bastards? If you don't mind me asking." he takes another sip, "We mean to expand our role in all the areas bordering us, if only to protect our interests, we don't want an incident like the War in Europe again, and we don't ever mean to be surrounded by unfriendly forces ever again, believe you me."

He mutters for a moment, "Need to get a meeting with the Northlands soon, haven't talked to them in ages and they're right on our goddamn doorstep, speak the same language for christ's sake."

"Changing in the sense that we're not going to worry about it anymore. Our hope is that we'll get Poland back and become worried about the Baltic. And I get what you mean regarding enemies. We're trying to make some friends, but I'll be damned if the Hungarians and Belarusians aren't making it hard as hell. Part of me wants to convince Wilding to authorize a few bureaucratic adjustments to their entire nation..."

"Anyway, we've spent a hell of a lot of time talking. We got anything to sign or am I going to go back to Vienna with just some transcripts?"

Francoise reaches under the desk and pulls out a sheet of paper detailing the terms of their Mutual Defense and Optional Aggression in rather simple terms. Francoise always liked to keep his treaties from being overly wordy and thus, complicated and difficult to digest, "I've got this, if you'd care to put your signature on it."