European War OOC Thread

Californian

Hello, this is an OOC thread for the current conflict in Europe. This thread is being created for the tentative cordial queries and discussions I'm sure people will be eager to have. Please post in this thread if you:

1) Want to post OOC reactions about the war. E.g. "Wow Uber I didn't expect Supercheese to roll you like that."

2) Have questions regarding posts made by players. E.g. "Can I get clarification on the amount of troops located in Ulaan Baatar?"

3) Would like the GM (Californian) to review something in particular E.g. "Can his subs really dive below 1000m??"

Please post in the GM Hall thread and NOT HERE if you:

1) Want to request spy/nuke rolls. "One roll to beautify Detroit with a 5MT nuke please."

2) Would like to ask for a retcon based on direct violation of rules. "Californian doesn't have the infrastructure for an aircraft carrier but he just attacked me with one, I demand he change that."

Please keep emotionally charged comments to IRC and don't be rude to fellow RPers, as the purpose of all of this is for people to have fun. 

If you like, you are welcome to PM me with information that you would prefer to remain secret but at the same time would like to have proof of your motivations/actions/whatever documented for the conflict. Additionally, you are welcome to send a PM (through forums or IRC) if you have general questions you'd prefer to ask in private.

Note, Markus Wilding is directly involved in the conflict and thus will not give GM rulings in the interest of fairness. 

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM THIS THREAD

Regarding navies:

Each nation is entitled to a navy per the rules, and it's been established you don't need to roleplay out its construction prior to its introduction. However, it would be unfair to magically sprout a navy wherever you want especially during a war. Therefore, players are allowed to RP the initial existence of their navy along their coastlines or at locations where there has been established roleplay for the leasing/operation of a port. Beyond that, deployments are required to move the ships and normal damage/sinking rules still apply.

Regarding navy/troop composition:

The argument that compositions have always been disclosed in CNRP is a bad one because wars in CNRP are generally incredibly messy, OOC affairs with lots of metagaming involved. At the same time, war rules in CNRP2 have not been articulated very clearly and it would be unfair to impose an entirely new structure without prior discussion. 

Large troop/naval locations and compositions (such as armies and fleets) should be disclosed when requested. We assume a basic amount of intel is being carried out by states at all times, and stuff this big is implied in this. Just as players are able to launch missiles at military/civilian targets (which we assume they know of from standard intel), the same would apply towards location of an entire fleet. 

However, things that are less obvious do not need to be directly disclosed. Included in this would be the location of submarines, aircraft, small ship formations especially in more isolated areas, commandos/special ops forces, and secret defenses/attacks that have not been previously uncovered or known. 

If you want, you are able to PM me with the location/composition of your submarines, aircraft, special ops, secret defenses, etc. and keep me updated with secret deployments when you post your normal movements/deployments. This will remain secret until such a time as they reveal themselves or the enemy RPs out appropriate reconnaissance, etc. (Basically, the GM won't reveal confidential information).

So, specifically, yes Rudy can have a navy and yes Yeru should disclose the fleet information to Eva.

Regarding war economy/production:

Nations do not get an inherent advantage based on where they are located (Other things being equal, someone in Swaziland is not at a disadvantage from someone in the USA). Nations do get an advantage through roleplay, which could include the previous extensive roleplay of production/storage of military goods.  You are certainly not required to read someone's posts, but if they are posting in a public thread, willing to provide you a link if requested, and if you have had the opportunity to interact/interfere with the roleplay then you cannot ignore when confronted with a situation like this.

Therefore, it is reasonable that Mogar would have a large stockpile of military goods. That being said, some common sense has to be used, and 40K of one type of missile seems excessive. Limiting the number of Mogar's Block 2s in question to 15K, and I expect other models to be scaled accordingly.

Regarding civilian infrastructure:

Large public works projects can be canon if made with today's technology. This can have military implications, and likewise can be targeted by other nations and possibly destroyed. A canal widening project is certainly a large, but not impossible task given enough time and resources and appropriate RP.

Edited by Californian

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, now, the inevitable question session:

• Yeru, what is the composition of your mediterranean fleet?
  • Rudolph, you have not RPed a fleet before, so I think you should not magically have a carrier fleet at the outbreak of conflict.
  • Yeru, specify what you are using. Anti-ship missile is a broad category, not a specific system.
  • Rudolph, in your case, can I just assume you use what you list in your factbook?
  • Both of you: What aircraft are you using?
  • Rudolph, please specify where your fortifications are, as well as please point out prior RP to their existence.

That's it for now.

Edit: Forgot, both of you: It would be nice if you quantified your assets.

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

Does anyone know when was the last time the French beat the British in an armed conflict? I'm guessing 1815 :v:

I would think, the American Revolutionary War? Afterwards came the French Revolution, with the Coalition Wars, which ended ultimatively in French defeat. This was followed by the Vienna Congress and the Concert, which saw no real armed conflict between the two, as far as I recall, then came the age of Napoleon III, where we have the Crimean War and the intervention in Mexico where both fought on the same side and in general, apart from some colonial incidents, like the Fashoda incident, there isn't much. Then comes the Entente cordiale, which continues to this day.

Good, now, the inevitable question session:

• Yeru, what is the composition of your mediterranean fleet?
  • Rudolph, you have not RPed a fleet before, so I think you should not magically have a carrier fleet at the outbreak of conflict.
  • Yeru, specify what you are using. Anti-ship missile is a broad category, not a specific system.
  • Rudolph, in your case, can I just assume you use what you list in your factbook?
  • Both of you: What aircraft are you using?
  • Rudolph, please specify where your fortifications are, as well as please point out prior RP to their existence.

That's it for now.

Edit: Forgot, both of you: It would be nice if you quantified your assets.

As specified in my post, I'm using [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_%28missile%29]harpoon[/url] missiles. I've also quantified the number of fighters (noted as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_F/A-18E/F_Super_Hornet]Superhornets[/url] in my post) and how many of each missile type they're launching.

As I note my post is most likely coming Sunday or Monday.  Grad school reunion tonight, family party tomorrow, traveling Sunday.  I'd tighten up your posts a bit before.

Take your time, man. RL > RP. We're all here to have fun, not be dicks, after all.

With agreement from both sides, the European War is hereby locked until Monday. This includes diplomacy between primary coalition members, annexations that provide strategic territory, and military deployments. This does not include propaganda news posts or already ongoing annexations prior to the war.

I reiterate my inquiry to Rudolph:

• Can I just assume you are using the stuff from your factbook? Or anything else you want to specify?
  • The fleet has no prior RP. Care to explain how it magically comes into existence? And if it does, how many ships are engaging my fleet?
  • The fortifications, I assume are hastily dug field entrenchments, given no sophisticated fortification effort has been RPed. For that matter, no mobilisation has been RPed either. Care to explain where your forces are positioned, while they are taking potshots at my army? Feel free to use a map.

Also, Yeru, where is your fleet positioned?

Eva: How are you gathering intelligence on where his fleet is positioned? How are you gathering intelligence on where the armies are positioned? That's going to determine a lot about how much information they need to give you.

Just because they are engaging you doesn't mean you, by necessity, know where from. Perhaps you could rp some posts about how you are collecting this intelligence and then the data can be released once the rp is unfrozen.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Eva: How are you gathering intelligence on where his fleet is positioned? How are you gathering intelligence on where the armies are positioned? That's going to determine a lot about how much information they need to give you.

Just because they are engaging you doesn't mean you, by necessity, know where from. Perhaps you could rp some posts about how you are collecting this intelligence and then the data can be released once the rp is unfrozen.

OOC, this is requied, in order to advance the RP. I can however post in the GM hall, if people feel they need to be idiots about it.

Could you link me to the rule came into existance that you are required to RP building a navy? otherwise we're fighting a Ghost Fleet since Triyun sprouting into existence with 200+ ships.

Well, I'm entitled to a couple more ships, which will be built shortly then, I guess.

With agreement from both sides, the European War is hereby locked until Monday. This includes diplomacy between primary coalition members, annexations that provide strategic territory, and military deployments. This does not include propaganda news posts or already ongoing annexations prior to the war.

Quote me that rule.

It'd count as a military movement, so it'd have to start off in Romania.

OOC, this is requied, in order to advance the RP. I can however post in the GM hall, if people feel they need to be idiots about it.

Well, I'm entitled to a couple more ships, which will be built shortly then, I guess.

Really? I guess you'll be posting in the GM hall then because I don't remember a rule where it was required to disclose the positions of forces the enemy cannot see to the enemy. Maybe to a GM, but not to other players who might act upon information they don't technically have access to outside of as narrative information. Your name calling bodes well for your position in the discussion and calls into question your own intellect. I look forward to seeing you compose your quest for disclosure.

Your nation is not a god. It is not omniscient. It cannot see things it does not have assets in place to identify. So if you cannot post the logic behind why you see them, then you don't deserve to know jack, jack.. err.. Eva err. Idiot.

You know.. I think that since you have taken to calling people idiots who disagree with you, I'm going to make that your name for whenever I'm in a discussion with you that you disagree with me. I'll just be like "Yo idiot." and you'll know exactly who I'm talking to because of this little piece of beauty you have bestowed upon us.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Really? I guess you'll be posting in the GM hall then because I don't remember a rule where it was required to disclose the positions of forces the enemy cannot see to the enemy. Maybe to a GM, but not to other players who might act upon information they don't technically have access to outside of as narrative information. Your name calling bodes well for your position in the discussion and calls into question your own intellect. I look forward to seeing you compose your quest for disclosure.

Your nation is not a god. It is not omniscient. It cannot see things it does not have assets in place to identify. So if you cannot post the logic behind why you see them, then you don't deserve to know jack, jack.. err.. Eva.

I'll just wait till Yeru and/or Rudy respond (the people who were actually concerned), and if they are equally uncooperative, I will have to take it to the GM hall, I guess.