Visiting our Southern brethren

Kevin Kingswell

Following his meeting with the British Prime Minister Klaus Steiner and his delegation from Hannover would fly back to the mainland, land and refuel before taking off again for the County of Hesse. An electronic message would be sent ahead of the flight letting the government of Hesse know that the delegation was on the way and shortly afterwards the Hannover plane would land in Hesse and the delegation would disembark to meet with whomever the County of Hesse had sent to meet them for the hopeful meeting. 

The great faux pas that became the Gala of Cologne still weighed on the mind of Frederich von Hesse so the letter from the Hanoverians came as a pleasant surprise especially with nearly all of Europe cascading into itself. For Hesse, West Germany and the immediate surrounding regions became the most important areas to preserve and control in the following days. The diplomatic hopes of the gala had been dashed by the roaming hands of a deputy foreign minister and the knee-jerk swordplay of a head of state. The entire ordeal, at least to the Hessians, was better forgotten than dwelt upon and so it was with the Hanoverians that the Count hoped to cement real relations and think deeply about the future of the Germans.

When Steiner arrived in Cologne, Count Frederich von Hesse met him and they went together to the palace of Augustusburg to begin their meeting.

"It is a pleasure, Herr Steiner," said the Count, "I'm glad you weren't at my gala, it was a diplomatic nightmare. I hope today we can get a bit further." Tea and sandwiches were brought out and the two leaders dined as Europe fell to flames. "All around us the bombs are beginning to go off. Tell me, what do you make of the current war?"

"Thank you Count von Hesse, it is an honour and a privilege to meet one of your political stature. I am sorry to hear that your gala did not turn out well, it is a terrible sign for Europe if diplomats and world leaders can not behave themselves as I fear so rightly happened. Almost makes you wish to take over and teach them how to behave like proper children should no?" Klaus laughed quietly at his own joke before continuing, picking up and taking a small bite from one of the many sandwiches available.

"Forgive me, as you say dark times of war appear to be coming to Europe and I feel a little humour here and there helps to reduce the tension. As to the war itself I unfortunately do not know what caused the spark that set it off but everything I have seen makes me feel that this war will spread across all of Europe and even further across the seas. Hannover is already preparing itself as best as we can but losing our government so quickly means things are a mess. What is your opinion Count?"

"We are of two different political philosophies, Herr Steiner, but I believe both of us want to see Western Germany prosper. The world is at war and I have not had the time to make true diplomatic gains with any of our close neighbors. Though at the moment, I am turning my direction inward, stabilizing Hesse and then stabilizing the whole of Germany. Which would involve of course, yourself, Prussia, and Alvonia. Prussia has been silent and I am weary of the Alvonians given what I have heard from other world leaders so the only brethren that Hesse can turn to, are of course the Hanoverians."

The Count reached into his pocket and pulled out a map. "I would like to take the time to arrange an alliance between our states, a West German Alliance," he smiled, "A Westphalian Alliance, which would have of course the highest authority. Hesse and Hanover tied together through blood and iron."

"An alliance of blood and iron hmm?" replied Klaus thinking the Count's proposal over in his head, an evil gleam in his eyes as he did so. "Yes such an alliance would strengthen and support both our nations and perhaps one day set the foundation of a more concrete joining" said Klaus thinking ahead to the future. "Perhaps if such a thing was to come to pass I would grow in stature among the people, that extra wealth and power. Ah but such things are for the future. I will gladly agree to such an inviting proposal for an alliance that you offer".