Deputy MoFA's Diplo Trip to Sarejevo

Euphaia

Private

The secretary of Dražen Zoric Cižek, the current Councilor for Yugoslavia's Foreign Affairs, would welcome the Deputy Minister quickly followed by the Councilor himself. "Welcome, welcome!" he exclaimed as he shook the hands of Deputy Minister Kovach with a wide smile on his face, "I sincerely hope the trip towards the Kingdom was a safe one," he said before smirking, "Should have informed us a bit earlier and we would have taken you on the customary tour given to all foreign dignitaries, Minister Kovach, but no matter, we are still glad that you are here," he said as he lead the foreign Deputy Minister towards his office.

Councilor Cižek cleared his throat as he prepared a couple of drinks to make their impromptu meeting go smoother, a wry grin forming on his face as he saw the smooth whiskey pour into the glass, "Anything that you would prefer to drink, Minister Kovach?" he asked his fellow.

Edited by Rudolph

"Thank  you, Councilor Cizek, it is a pleasure to finally be able to be here in Yugoslavia.  Prime Minister Beres sends his apologies for not being able to attend himself.  He is in Petrograd in a meeting he was invited to a few days ago.

Whiskey suits me just fine, Councilor, thank you." Deputy Minister Kovach would say, as he gratetully accepted the glass of whiskey.

"Seeing as how are countries are neighbors, and have gotten along well since Yugoslavia allowed Hungary-Slovakia it's independence, my nation has decided it is time that we should formalize our friendly relations.  Wouldn't you agree, Council Cizek?"

Private

Dražen smiled politely as he nodded, taking a sip of his drink, the whiskey going smoothly down his throat, "I do agree and in what way does Hungary see that we should formalize our relationship, Minister Kovach?" he asked as he motioned for his secretary who took a few seconds before bringing him a filled folder. The Councilor would take his time looking for a specific piece of paper within the folder while he waited for his deputy counterpart's response.

Private

Dražen outright grinned at his deputy counterpart, "I do believe that the Kingdom of Yugoslavia would certainly like more with its northern neighbor, Minister Kovach," he finally answered as he took out a blank piece of paper, the Councilor taking two minutes to write on it before passing it towards the Hungarian Dignitary.

"I do believe that you'll find that everything is in order, Minister Kovach."

Hungary-Yugoslavian Pact

In the interest of a stable and prosperous relationship, the sovereign nations of Hungary-Slovakia and the Kraljevina Jugoslavija agree to participate as members of the Hungary-Yugoslavian Pact, with all the benefits, privileges, requirements, and regulations outlined in this agreement.

Article I. Trade Pact
Both signatories shall undertake appropriate steps, actions, and policies to encourage and facilitate increased trade between the two. Such steps, actions, and policies include, but are not limited to, the reduction or elimination, whenever applicable, of tariffs and other protective barriers, with exceptions for certain industries as determined by the signatories.

Article II. Non-Aggression
Both signatories shall not undertake any aggressive or otherwise hostile actions against each other in any form. Such actions is defined, but not limited to, illegal espionage and destabilizing actions. This clause shall not be construed as to restrict or otherwise prohibit healthy debate or productive disagreement. Both signatories agree to engage in dialogue with each other should a disagreement arise.

Article III. Basing Access
Should either signatory desire, they posses the right to request access of the other signatory's military bases in an effort to effectively protect the signatory, their goods in the area, or project their influence in the region. This request will allow the signatory to station troops, naval-craft or aircraft within the bases granted to them along with the bases themselves being considered officially as part of the signatory's territory for the duration.

Article IV. Option Defense
in the event that either signatory is under attack by a third party or creating military attack plans against a third party, its counterpart is encouraged to provide military, intelligence or monetary assistance. Both signatories acknowledge that it is optional and solely at the discretion of the secondary party. When third parties are involved, this chaining of treaties becomes encouraged, but does not become mandatory.

Article V. Optional Aggression
Whenever any nation, or union of nations poses a clear and present danger to either of the signatories and is designated a threat by leadership of each signatory, each signatory unless bound by treaty to non-aggression or neutrality shall jointly respond. Such response shall only be sufficient to contain and eliminate the perceived threat and deter future threats.

Article VI. Cancellation
Signatories who no longer see their fellow as a part of the Pact have the right to either discuss these issues or submit a willingness to cancel this treaty, whereupon in seventy-six hours it shall become annulled.

Signed,
For Hungary-Slovakia,

For Kraljevina Jugoslavija,
Dragojev Belojevic, HM Kralj

Private

Dražen nodded before scribbling once more onto the paper, "I believe it should be proper now, Minister Kovach."

Hungary-Yugoslavian Pact

In the interest of a stable and prosperous relationship, the sovereign nations of Hungary-Slovakia and the Kraljevina Jugoslavija agree to participate as members of the Hungary-Yugoslavian Pact, with all the benefits, privileges, requirements, and regulations outlined in this agreement.

Article I. Trade Pact
Both signatories shall undertake appropriate steps, actions, and policies to encourage and facilitate increased trade between the two. Such steps, actions, and policies include, but are not limited to, the reduction or elimination, whenever applicable, of tariffs and other protective barriers, with exceptions for certain industries as determined by the signatories.

Article II. Non-Aggression
Both signatories shall not undertake any aggressive or otherwise hostile actions against each other in any form. Such actions is defined, but not limited to, illegal espionage and destabilizing actions. This clause shall not be construed as to restrict or otherwise prohibit healthy debate or productive disagreement. Both signatories agree to engage in dialogue with each other should a disagreement arise.

Article III. Basing Access
Should either signatory desire, they posses the right to request access of the other signatory's military bases and/or ports in an effort to effectively protect the signatory, their goods in the area, or project their influence in the region. This request will allow the signatory to station troops, naval-craft or aircraft within the bases and/or ports granted to them along with the bases and/or ports themselves being considered officially as part of the signatory's territory for the duration.

Article IV. Option Defense
in the event that either signatory is under attack by a third party or creating military attack plans against a third party, its counterpart is encouraged to provide military, intelligence or monetary assistance. Both signatories acknowledge that it is optional and solely at the discretion of the secondary party. When third parties are involved, this chaining of treaties becomes encouraged, but does not become mandatory.

Article V. Optional Aggression
Whenever any nation, or union of nations poses a clear and present danger to either of the signatories and is designated a threat by leadership of each signatory, each signatory unless bound by treaty to non-aggression or neutrality shall jointly respond. Such response shall only be sufficient to contain and eliminate the perceived threat and deter future threats.

Article VI. Cancellation
Signatories who no longer see their fellow as a part of the Pact have the right to either discuss these issues or submit a willingness to cancel this treaty, whereupon in seventy-six hours it shall become annulled.

Signed,
For Hungary-Slovakia,
Rikard Beres, Prime Minister

For Kraljevina Jugoslavija,
Dragojev Belojevic, HM Kralj
Edited by Rudolph

Private

Dražen smiled widely at his deputy counterpart, "No, Minister Kovach. Thank YOU," he replied with. "Before you leave and return back to your country, I wish to make a personal request if you would."

"This request of mine would mean a lot to the Kingdom and it would bring much jubilation if it was pursued. I wish to see our two northern neighbors to not be at each others throats, but to be merry and friendly with each other, working to shed old and misguided perceptions thrusted upon by others as truths when they were falsehoods."

"If you could work towards helping it be a reality, it would mean the world to the Kingdom. You'd forever be in our thanks for doing so, Minister Kovach, and there is one thing that Yugoslavia does not do and that is forgetting its friends or allies."

*Deputy Minister Kovach would nod as he listened.*

"That is actually where the Foreign Minister is at today.  We, too, hope to put constant war  and rumors of war behind us too.  As much as we tried to suppress it, I am sure some news has reached Sarejevo of the large protest we had a few days ago.  Our populace has spoken, and to ignore them would likely just cause more unrest."

Private

Dražen smiled solemnly, cheering internally at the news.

"You have made my day, Minister Kovach, but sadly we must depart as I'm sure you have business to attend to in your country. I sincerely hope that all three of our countries can live in peace together as neighbors, and wish you the best on your journey home, Minister Kovach."

"Thank you, Minister Drazen, for having me and your hospitatlity.  Yes, unfortunately, I must be on my way.  I am sure there is a pile of work to do back at my office, especially with the Foreign Minister and the Prime Minister both being out of country as well."

*Deputy Minister Kovach would shake Minister Drazen's hand once more, before departing for the airport.*

• 2 months later...

Private

"The Kingdom would like to know as to why our ally in Hungary-Slovakia feels the need to send troops into former Romania's territory and what is considered filled with ethnically Romanian and not Hungarian citizens."

Respectfully,

Kralj Dragojev Belojevic

We did not mean to alarm our esteemed allies. We have no intention of annexing any more land then what we have mentioned.

Those lands are currently without a government, and prior to the end of World War 1, those counties were a part of Hungary.

We simply wish to repatriate those few counties back into Hungary. The rest of former Romania will stay as they currently are.

No further former Romania counties outside those five will be claimed or annexed by Hungary-Slovakia.

As a friendly aside between friends and allies, though, there actually are both Hungarians and Slovaks in those counties. In fact there are 26% in Bihar and 35% in Satu Mare. :)

Edited by Euphaia

Private

"Nonetheless, alarm Hungary-Slovakia did towards the Kingdom. The areas still being attempted to be 'repatriated' into the fold into Hungary-Slovakia are still areas where Romanians are not the minority but the majority. The Kingdom has not attempted to bring any counties with Serbs or Yugoslavs into the fold nor has it started calling for annexations where we do not have a majority in, has it not? The Kingdom simply asks that the former Territory of Romania be protected, united and not annexed so as to not cause undue tensions should a new state arise and start calling for reunification of its kin."

Respectfully,

Kralj Dragojev Belojevic

Edited by Rudolph

The other counties of Romania will not be disturbed, you have my word.

Hungary-Slovakia has the utmost respect for its ally Yugoslavia and the Kralj, but after the Romanians stole that land from us at the end of world war 1, and then a few years ago treated our nation with such disrespect and disdain, there is very little syathy or respect left here for Romania.

Nonetheless, as stated, we only wish to reclaim lands that were once rightfully Hungary's, and no more than that. Much like your ally Alvomia recently asserted over Lower Silecia.

Private

"It is not about mistrusting as we do believe Hungary-Slovakia to have the best of intentions, the Kingdom simply wishes to ensure that relations with a future Romanian nation be as smooth as possible without any undue tensions led by either Hungary-Slovakia or the Kingdom of Yugoslavia possessing territory where the majority are ethnically Romanians. That is they key here, not some form of misguided revanchism. The Kingdom does not hate its neighbor in the Romanian people, as the sole blame for what lead to the global war rests on the shoulders of a deceased person after being found wanting by an international trial lead by Alvonia.

If a Romanian nation were to be founded and they asked Hungary-Slovakia for the territory that is by all rights theirs due to having significant majority in the regions that the government of Hungary-Slovakia wishes to 'reclaim', would Hungary-Slovakia acquiesce and return the territory to Romania or let the situation deteriorate to the point of leading to a war?"

Respectfully,

Kralj Dragojev Belojevic

"We would not cause a war with a new Romanian nation. If they wished, we would be willing to grant dual citizenship to those that reside in the repatriotated (sp) regions, as well as ensure easy access to and from Romania and those regions to citizens of Romania and those that reside in or have family that resides in those certain regions. Only barring, of course, those with weapons, illegal drugs, or with violent criminal records, as any nation rightfully would.

We would also be open to reducing or maybe exempting some of the taxes for those that reside in those regions, to a reasonable extent.

If they should ever request Salaj back, I am sure some sort of agreement could be negotiated.

We will keep relations between Hungary-Slovakia and Romania as amicable and calm as we personally are able to, and will do what we could to work anything that might come up diplomatically.

If the new Romanian government is not unfriendly or hostile towards us, and is wanting one, I am sure we could even hammer out a Non-Aggrresion Pact between Hungary-Slovakia and any new Romanian government.

Edited by Euphaia

Private

"Since the question was for all intents and purposes avoided and dodged in our eyes, the Kingdom shall repeat it:

'If a Romanian nation were to be founded and they asked Hungary-Slovakia for the territory that is by all rights theirs due to having significant majority in the regions that the government of Hungary-Slovakia wishes to 'reclaim', would Hungary-Slovakia acquiesce and return the territory to Romania or not?'

This is not a case of equal rights for the Romanian people within Hungary-Slovakia, not about treaties or tax exemptions but what will Hungary-Slovakia do in regards to our question."

Respectfully,

Kralj Dragojev Belojevic

"With the utmost respect to you, Highness, and no ill intent meant or implied, this question was not brought up to Alvomia when it all but demanded Lower Silesia, which it claims was once a part of Alvonia, as well as two other Voivodeships it demanded become a part of Alvomia. It even threatened war against us over Lower Silesia, even though we had already based tens of thousands of Hungarian soldiers in Lower Silesia.

Does that not alarm or concern Yugoslavia?

If such does not draw a protest from Yugoslavia, and a new Romanian government makes such demands or threats towards us, we will defend our land the same as Alvonia and its ally France already does.

Maramures and Crisana are a part of Hungary as much as Lower Silesian is a part of Alvonia. They were taken wrongfully from Hungary.

As I stated though, we would hope to head off any such conflict from ever erupting by signing a Non Aggression Pact with a new Romania.

If our friend and ally Yugoslavia wishes to protest or intervene in this matter, than we would also strongly urge Yugoslavia to intervene with its Alvonian ally as well."

Edited by Euphaia

Private

"The Kingdom meaning well will advise Hungary-Slovakia that it is not omnipresent or omniscient, we do not know everything but rest assured that we shall bring this forward with Alvonia as being one of our oldest allies. Regarding Lower Silesia, it indeed was part of Alvonia prior to the Eastern Bloc all but eviscerating the Kingdom's ally for the sake of Hungary-Slovakia and Belarus, so it would do well for Hungary-Slovakia to remember its past transgressions towards one of the Kingdom's oldest allies, while the Kingdom will do so to remind Alvonia of their own attitudes and transgressions. The Kingdom would be put into a very awkward position should two of its current allies go to war over nothing.

Most if not all of the Romanian territory, regardless of who it belonged to hundreds of years ago, is still ethnically Romanian and regardless of the borders that Hungary had in its peak hundreds if not close to a thousand years ago, it does not give Hungary-Slovakia any right or claim to the territory otherwise a resurgent Roman Empire could claim the entirety of Europe by that notion.

We ask again that our dear ally and friend in Hungary-Slovakia see the Kingdom's reasoning and logic in this, for we seek only peace between ourselves and any future Romanian state and prevent any possible tension."

Respectfully,

Kralj Dragojev Belojevic

Edited by Rudolph

"I do remind, Hungary-Slovakia intends to do whatever we are able to stay on cordial and peaceful terms with any new Romanian government. We want to avoid tension, conflict, and war just as much as Yugoslavia does. We are not looking for a war with any current or future nation."

Edited by Euphaia