A Visit to London

Evangeline Anovilis

Confidential

The Queen was dead, her successor seemingly not fully prepared to take the reins. But while Romania struggled, the challenges in the region grew, the threats became ever moe pronounced. And even if Maria was dead, the apparatus of statesmen that worked under her was not. With her old master out of the way, it seemed as if it was time for Mihaela Constante to finally act, to secure her own position, as well as the position of her country. Befitting the changes in Bucharest's uppermost networks, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had also finally moved to its new adress at Bulevardul Lascăr Catargiu. and from the new old Palais it was, that Constante formulated her response to the new developments in Europe. A confidential communique would be sent to London.

To: Francis Urquehart, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

From: Mihaela Constante, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Greater Romania

Mr. Urquehart,

Although it seems that in recent years, there have been limited attempts at cooperation, sadly, the relations between our countries have hardly received the attention they deserve. While I would blame the lack of urgency and aligning interests to have caused such low priority to be attached to our bilateral relations, I would like to remediate this issue, as I would think that there have been recent most troublesome developments, that should not be left ignored, for they could herald repercussions of the most grave kind for both of us. Thus, I would like to visit London, for consultations with you, or your minister of foreign affairs, if possible, so as to find avenues of cooperating on possible issues and maybe formulate common responses to arising challenges to the security of our countries.

With regards,

Mihaela Constante, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Greater Romania

To:  Mihaela Constante 

Ms. Constante

I welcome a visit by your government to London.  Please visit 10 Downing as soon as you are able.  I promise a jolly old time.

Warm regards,

Francis Urquehart, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

While the new monarch was away for a few days back home, Constante would use the time off from instructing them to visit London. The visit would not receive much publicity from Romanian side and the minister mostly just took a few documents with her, which she deemed essential for the meeting or preparing for it, as well as a small wooden box for a present. Naturally, a message would be sent to Downing Street reaffirming the visit and thanking for the swift reply.

Once in London, the minister made her way to the Prime Minister's residence, wondering what to expect. Though, what ever went as expected?

British Prime Minister would extend a friendly salutation to the visiting Romanian delegation, after which they would sit down served a selection of assoted black teas and simple sandwiches and scones for refreshments.

"I hope your flight was pleasant and was not too trying.  I thank you for coming in these trying times.  I was sad to here about the death of your queen.  Certainly one of the great leaders of Europe if, not he greatest.  What can Britain do for you?"

"Thanks. Her Majesty's passing was indeed quite unfortunate. It is arguably her achievement that Romania has reunified Greater Romania again into one state and that we saw such a long period of relative stability. Sadly, as Her Majesty passed away, so does her work, it almost seems...", Constante would lament. "With Alvonia in ruins, one would expect revisionism to be at an all-time low, yet, there is a surge. Formerly quite respectable members of the European community pledge their support to Alvonia, while accusing our allies of instigating wars. and with the crisis in Budapest, just before I left to visit you, our options have grown even more limited to challenge a resurgent Alvonia. And I would guess you can do the math and realise what it means if the revisionists in Europe can reign free. Alvonia aren't the only one, after all..."

"Britain stands for a Europe in balance.  As fun as it is to taunt the French, because they are well, French, the fact is is that one power shouldn't dominate the continent.  The problem as we see it in Alvonia, is Alvonian Foreign Policy is basically an attempt at dominating through supranational organization which do not include the whole of Europe, and are based on a system of both seniority and exclusion and coercion.  Alvonia's ambition in our view would not be to singularly dominate Europe, but to impose on the rest of the European states a system where Alvonia and its allies have the geographic advantage with which to impose a hegemony.  From what we see the Alvonian Military is roughly in its actual war fighting capability is the most poorly structured of the large European states and a backwards army, not much of a threat.  However simply by throwing itself from crisis to crisis, it creates situations to draw other states in.  

My view is that you cannot deter such an actor.  Deterrence is the threat of punishment outweighs the expected benefits accrued.  If Alvonia's Cost-Benefit Calculus simply says. "Oh we don't care, we're just going to keep doing this." or they calculate some, particularly its allies, would rather escalate crises rather than see Alvonia as a state collapse, they are by definition an undeterable actor.  This to my mind necessitates that rather than view Alvonia as a problem to deter, I am increasingly seeing it as a warfighting problem.  

It is my judgement, that the best way to confront a warfighting problem, is to defeat it low on the escalation ladder, while maintaining complete escalation dominance up to an including strategic war and having credibility to address this.  Alvonia needs to be confronted by a credible organization, not just of one state but of many, and one in which the members aren't afraid to for every provokation give a disproportionate response." Urquehart said.  "Weakeness and appeasement never served anyone."

Constante for a moment did something she had not been doing for quite some time - smile kindly. "It is quite good to find someone who shares some understanding of the situation, Mr Urquehart." But as soon as that was said, an expression to match the worrying political situation returned. "The Alvonian issue indeed is not one due to its military capabilities, which are poor by pretty much any standard. But if states like Yugoslavia, Sweden, or any other ally they might at some point get, be back Alvonian policy with actual power, it can develop into a problem. Our policy has been up to now, to isolate and contain this regime, in order to prevent their revisionism from becoming a viable option, but it seems, this policy, which initially was successful, has now failed. And as long as they view escalation as a chance, rather than a discouragment, Alvonia will keep playing games of brinkmanship and revision, in order to obtain their objectives, which would be a dominant position in Central Europe, such as they had in the past. In the face of this challenge, one would need considerable and credible force to remove this dangerous calculus from Alvonian decisionmaking. But Romania does not have this kind of force, nor the now defunct Eastern Bloc. A new coalition is indeed sorely needed and will see our full support. To us, appeasing Alvonia must not be an option."  The minister sighed.

"A alliance paired with rapid reaction and long range strike forces I think would do nicely.  The chief part of these forces would be the deployment of highly air and sea mobile brigades combat teams that could interact.  I would think it would serve us to have rotating deployments as well.  Those participating in the security structure could have some small forces stationed in each other's territory with each other's units, the essential principles being that we can react quickly to alter facts on the ground, but also in order for Alvonia to do anything, it would necessaily mean engaging multi-national forces.  There would be no question of 'treaty lock' there would simply be war Alvonia declaring war against a maximal number of nations.  

If Alvonia's allies in such a case were foolish enough to get involved, then they would be supporting Alvonia in an aggressive war in which they would be facing most severe consequence."

For a moment, Constante went silent, thinking over the proposed system. "I would guess, this kind of system would work. While we have deployed units outside Romania, I would think deployment in Britain or similarly distant places will be a challenge. I do however trust our military to be able to meet it."

"Would you have a draft for such a treaty?"

"Of Course."

Treaty of Mutual Friendship and Defense between the United Kingdom and Kingdom of Romania:

ARTICLE I

This Treaty shall be in compliance for full respect of the principles of Sovereignty, Friendship, and the goal of Non-Aggression between all states, though recognizing the threatening of force by some nation-states necessitates the ability and willigness to use force.

ARTICLE 
II

The
 Parties
 will
 contribute
 toward
 the
 further
 development
 of
 peaceful
 and
 friendly
 international
 relations
 by
 strengthening
 their
 free
 institutions, international law,
 by
 bringing
 about
 a
 better
 understanding 
of
 the
principles 
upon
 which
 these
 institutions
are
 founded,
 and
 by 
promoting
conditions
of
stability
 and
 well‑being.
They
 will 
seek
 to 
eliminate 
conflict 
in 
their 
international
 economic 
policies
 and
 will 
encourage
economic
 collaboration
 between
them.

ARTICLE 
Ill

The
 Parties,
 individually
 and
 in
 cooperation 
with
 each
 other,
 by 
means
 of
 continuous
 and
 effective
 self‑help 
and
 mutual 
aid
 will
 maintain
 and 
develop,
subject
 to
 their
constitutional
 provisions,
 their 
capacities 
to 
resist
 armed
 attack.  This may include intelligence sharing, and joint deployment of forces.

ARTICLE 
IV

The 
Parties 
will 
consult 
together 
from 
time 
to 
time
 regarding
the
 implementation 
of 
this
 Treaty, 
and,
 at 
the
 request
 of 
either
 Party,
 whenever
 the
 security
of
 either party is threatened, or the regional or global peace.

ARTICLE V

The Parties recognize that an attack either on the sovereignty of either power, or their armed forces or assets in the global commons resulting in excessive loss of life, property damage, or monetary losses, can constitute an attack on both powers.  Both powers will pledge assistance appropriate to the mission objectives decided by both powers necessary to defeat an aggressive actor and render their ability to future action unattainable.

ARTICLE VI 

Both powers pledge to uphold this treaty in good faith.  Should either party intend to withdraw from the treaty, one year notice is required during which they treaty remains valid.  Future treaty revisions require mutual consent of both governments.  This treaty enters into de facto effect when signed by appropriate constitutional officers of both parties, and becomes binding law when ratified by appropriate constitutionally designated legislative bodies.

Signed,

"Does this meet your specifications?" the Prime Minister asked.

Edited by Triyun

"I would think so.", Constante replied shaking the Prime Minister's hand. As the treaty had been concluded, she would bring out the wooden box she had brought with her. Opening it, a bottle of wine was inside. "I hope you don't mind, a good old bottle of Negru de Purcari. Hopefully, you'll enjoy this wine from the Basarabian region." Constante would offer Urquehart the bottle of wine.