Federation of the Atlantic et la Patrie

Shave N Haircut

To the President of the Federation,

France extends greetings from across the Atlantic, it is pleasing to see that the Federation was one of the nations which withstood the test of time while the nation of France lay dormant. However, this letter is not social, as one might easily guess, but diplomatic. France wishes to send a small delegation to discuss cooperation between a fellow French-speaking nation and France in order to secure our places in the world and to ensure mutual safety.

Signed,
Empress Jeanne de LaQueu

• 2 weeks later...

In reply,

The Federation has recently been undergoing difficult times, with the rise of separatist sentiment in many of its provinces, along with a proposed Dissolution Act that failed to pass yesterday. We regret that we have not been prompt in matters of external affairs recently, and endeavour to look to these affairs now. If this offer still stands, the President will be accepting foreign delegations at Rideau Hall throughout the month, and France is welcome to send one.

Regards,

Philippe Montgolfier,

Minister for Foreign Affairs

[Highly Classified to all but the Federation of the Atlantic]

To: Federation Foreign Ministry

Monsieur Ouibliant wishes a vacation away from the likely-soon-to-be-warfront regardless my good sir, if you'll excuse the jest. He shall be flying over on a commercial airline this Tuesday at 12 Noon to discuss relations between our two nations. All is forgiven in regards to the Federation's recent lapse in their external department, France herself went through such an event not long ago at all and are still recovering from that period.

Signed,
Her Majesty, Empress Jeanne de LaQueu

To the Office of the Empress,

I will ensure the President expects M. Ouibliant at that time. He will be met at the international airport in Ottawa and driven to Rideau Hall as soon as he debarks. Given the situation developing in Europe and the potential for interception, we will keep preparations for his arrival low-key.

Regards,

Philippe Montgolfier

Minister for Foreign Affairs

Francois arrived at Ottawa Airport and takes a deep breath. The atmosphere in the Atlantic Federation was much more relaxed than the hushed tones of he Orleans Airport, which bustled with activity as French citizens resolved to take sudden vacations to friendly areas. The flight to Ottawa, in fact, had been heavily overbooked, which had led to a brief outrage from a great many people.

But now they'd arrived, they were safe, relatively.

He and his guards moved through the airport to receive his luggage and await contact from the President.

After clearing customs, the French party was directed to the main terminal, where they were met by the President's assistant. Once they'd collected their luggage, a simple black sedan drove them to Rideau Hall. Most of the capital's landmarks - particularly Parliament Hill - could be seen from around town, and even though the light rain made things slightly gloomy, the atmosphere was generally more relaxed than it might have been on the other side of the ocean. Visitors on official business would find themselves well-served here, as Ottawa held the headquarters of most federal institutions of any consequence, but French citizens looking for a quick vacation would find that the Federation's capital was one of its quieter, less impressive cities, and any excitement that was to be found lay beyond its bounds.

Once they began to make their way down the heavily wooded driveway to Rideau Hall, there was a definite security presence from the Federation Mounted Police's protective contingent. Monsieur Ouibliant and his guards were guided to the reception hall, where President Evans awaited them.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. I welcome you to the Federation, and trust your trip was a pleasant one. If you'll come with me, we can get started." 1 Sussex Drive was a rather unpretentious place when it came to a head of state's residence, and after leaving the elegant reception hall, it was only a brief walk down a hallway to the President's study. Refreshments were brought, and Evans invited Ouibliant to begin.

Francoise briefly raised his glass before taking a seat, "Thank you Mr. President, now, down to business." He makes himself comfortable, "As you well know, there's a great deal of cultural similarity between France and a large part of your nation. I should avoid mention of our attempted annexation of this land except to note that we are quite invested in the safety of the area and the welfare of the people within, as you well know. Contrary to our formerly desired annexation, we wish to develop close relations as part of an initiative to become friendly with the whole of the Francophone world, you are the second step, and you're believed to be the most sure of the three that have been designated so far."

Evans considered the man's intentions. "Improved relations would be much preferable to annexation, yes. Given our nations' common heritage - in part, anyway - I'd like to propose a cultural exchange program between France and the Federation, as well as the exchange of embassies and consular representation. These are basic steps, but I think you'll agree that they represent an important foundation for further advancement in our relations. I know many in Parliament would be glad to see a greater representation of French culture and interests here, and their constituents would appreciate travel and trade being made that much easier.

I do feel the need to clarify that a warming in relations does not imply a support for any colonial or imperial designs France may have in the Americas. Our membership in the New World Order requires that we not entertain or aid such designs, as I'm sure you understand."

"Oh, of course not." he says, "France has abandoned, for the most part, any colonial interests, especially for the near future." Francoise smiles, "I can assure you that you and the rest of the New World Order are safe from any French interference. We're entirely willing to participate in all of the above mentioned things, I'm not here to pressure you into anything the Atlantic Federation isn't interested in."

"I appreciate that, Monsieur Ouibliant. I also do not wish to pressure France into anything.

Since you seem agreeable to our simple proposals, I would like to know what proposals France would like to make. After all, ambassador exchange sets a good foundation, but something must still be built upon it."

Edited by Vedran

"France's needs are simple, improved understanding with our cultural cousins, open travel between the two for citizens of both nations, loosened trade across the Atlantic between us, we don't come for a military agreement, as the Federation is well protected under the New World Order and France could only bring trouble to your nation under an alliance." He shrugs, "We are nothing if not realistic, and we don't wish the Federation harm."

"The Federation maintains a relatively open travel system regardless, but I can certainly suggest to the Prime Minister that she arrange for loosened visa restrictions to citizens of France, or even exempted from requiring one for short stays. A favorable import-export duty can also be agreed upon, provided that France reciprocates."

"Excellent...the Foreign Ministry can handle the diplomatic and travel matters with ease, though trade issues will have to be brought up in Parliament at the next session. If all goes well, our states will exchange representation by the end of the week." Evans shifted in his chair, and poured new drinks for both of them. He took a sip of his ginger ale before continuing.

"Thank you for making the trip here, M. Ouibliant. If there's nothing else, I don't want to keep you too long; I'm sure there must be much on your mind in these trying times. Best of luck." If Francois indeed had nothing else to discuss, Evans stood and shook his hand, then called for someone to take him back to his car.