LoSS Affirmation of Existence

Phoebus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logic of mergers is strong, the logic of bigger is better has a force that must be recognized.

But they rarely work out as planned, and they always wind up losing something important in the process.

Also, really, the logic of mergers, the logic of bigger is better, it has a force but it is not the end-all and be all. It needs to be questioned more, not less, imop. If we set it as our highest goal we should have only one alliance.

I imagine each of you flinching as you read the line preceding, and rationally I expect a lot of you will. I dont think I need to elaborate on exactly why that would suck beyond redemption.

In reality a large portion of what makes life here on Bob worth living is bound up in the diversity, the wide range of sovereignty, of cultures, of for lack of another word brotherhoods.

When an alliance gets so run down that the current administration feels they can do better for their members by merging than continuing, I do not want to disrespect them for doing so. But I also expect, from experience, that the response by many of the members, particularly older members that once made the thing run themselves, and have become relatively inactive over time, is often a huge WTF! followed by an explosion in activity as people that thought they had left something they love and cherish in good hands realize it needs them again.

Really everyone wins here. Loss is revitalized. And SNX could flourish as well, as long as it does a good job of providing whatever it is that its members need.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

The logic of mergers is strong, the logic of bigger is better has a force that must be recognized.

But they rarely work out as planned, and they always wind up losing something important in the process.

Also, really, the logic of mergers, the logic of bigger is better, it has a force but it is not the end-all and be all. It needs to be questioned more, not less, imop. If we set it as our highest goal we should have only one alliance.

I imagine each of you flinching as you read the line preceding, and rationally I expect a lot of you will. I dont think I need to elaborate on exactly why that would suck beyond redemption.

In reality a large portion of what makes life here on Bob worth living is bound up in the diversity, the wide range of sovereignty, of cultures, of for lack of another word brotherhoods.

When an alliance gets so run down that the current administration feels they can do better for their members by merging than continuing, I do not want to disrespect them for doing so. But I also expect, from experience, that the response by many of the members, particularly older members that once made the thing run themselves, and have become relatively inactive over time, is often a huge WTF! followed by an explosion in activity as people that thought they had left something they love and cherish in good hands realize it needs them again.

Really everyone wins here. Loss is revitalized. And SNX could flourish as well, as long as it does a good job of providing whatever it is that its members need.

Well said. Much along the lines I had used to argue it before the merger: 

wut2.jpg

LOSS always prided itself for having the "Old Guard". Guys who joined in 06/07, who went though the Pink Era, and forced neutrality. Guys who still kinda distrust NPO, simply because of those early days. 

Over time a lot of them would go inactive. Some are simply around to collect taxes at day 20 and fight in the wars. I was one of those. Others missed the 25 day grace period because of RL, and have been deleted over the years. But anytime LOSS needed serious help, it was like the awakening of the Titans. Two, Three, maybe even Five would ALL get active together, try to right the ship, and eventually pass on the democratic reigns to other players. Such has been our history for a long time. I don't view this period any different from those past times, only the fact that the Old Guard is so diminished and was so unaware of the ongoings that this happened.