Something something Austria and Russia

Markus Wilding

The following would be sent to the Russian foreign ministry:

To whom it may concern,

I have been instructed by Director Wilding to secure an audience with Russian diplomats to discuss topics of mutual interest and concern. I can fly to Moscow or we can host a delegation in Vienna.

Regards,

Finn Powers, Alvonian Foreign Minister

In the Schönbrunn Palace, Foreign Minister Lavrov would be shown to one of the many conference rooms, where numerous German and Czech pastries and desserts lay, along with alcoholic drinks of all kinds. "Minister Lavrov," Finn said, extending a hand, "welcome to Vienna. Help yourself to anything you like, I'll be sticking to the vodka for now. How was the flight over?"

Lavrov smiled as he shook hands with Mr. Powers. "I'll take a glass of vodka, please and thank you. As with my people, it's my favorite drink," he said conversationally as he took a German pastry. "As for the flight, it was quite short and uneventful, which I reckon is good, given the world we live in."

Lavrov then took a bite of the pastry, chewed, and swallowed it. "What do you have in mind for discussions?"

"That's good to hear." Finn said as he slid over some vodka to Lavrov. "I like to keep things simple and clear, you know? Diplomatic fluff always gets on my nerves. That in mind, I'm proposing some simple stuff - non-aggression pact and an economic treaty. I'm sure you know of Alvonia's reputation, but I also remember our nations have worked together before, so if you find it agreeable I'd like to work a little more towards greater cooperation between us."

"I can agree with a non-aggression pact and economic treaty," Lavrov said as he sipped his vodka. "I'm sure Alvonia had its reasons for its actions as of lately, but it seems that several European nations do not share such sentiments. What do you have in mind regarding 'greater cooperation'?"

"I'll be straight-up, Alvonia is looking for more than just simple non-aggression pacts. Allies of Alvonia are few and far between, and of those few there's problems of distance and all that junk I don't listen to in staff meetings. I don't know how Russia sees Alvonia, but I know how Romania and Russia see each other. Last I heard, you two almost got into a tussle over the Black Sea, yeah?"

Lavrov sipped his vodka as he mulled over Finn's words. "We certainly have disagreements with Romania, to put it lightly, and the situation in the Black Sea was unfortunate, if not imprudent on Romania's part. Fortunately, it has been resolved, at least for the time being. We are watching them carefully."

Setting his glass down on the desk, Lavrov considered his next words carefully, knowing well his counterpart's infamous temper. "At this point of time, any agreement Russia will be seeking with Alvonia will not trascend that of a non-aggression and/or economic pact. As I said, Alvonia had its reasons behind its recent actions, but several of its neighbors do not view it as that way. I am aware that Russia and Alvonia have had close cooperation in the past, but times have changed, and I cannot help but voice my concerns that any higher-level agreements between Russia and Alvonia will have adverse effects for both our nations in the present geopolitical order in Europe."