Raiding and Warfare- What justifies what?

urbanknight4

So I'm relatively new here and as you all know, I have been send many PM's from alliances offering protection from raiders. I understand these nations start wars to obtain tech and land, or in some cases just enjoy ruining your day.

However, not every war fought is a raider vs victim conflict. What are those wars based on? What conflicts can I expect to see here that would drive someone to wage war on my nation?

The bigger question is- Are those reasons/conflicts justified? Is war really worth it in this game, or is it just there for raiders and the like, looking for any excuse to trounce you and "relieve" you of your resources?

Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place!

Raiding is merely one of the more honest reasons to fight in this game. The other reasons for fighting are usually steeped deeply in such long running political horse pucky that it'd be difficult to explain just how silly they are.

Edited by Auctor

Generally things like alliances spying on other alliances, or saying bad things about them that show an intent to attack them later. The stated reasons for wars generally are pretexts for good old fashioned plain old one group of players not liking another group of players and wanting them beat up.

Wow, that sounds incredibly shallow... it seems that wars are basically orchestrated raids.

Thanks for clearing that up, I've been seeing an insane amount of wars lately but I couldn't for the life of me think why they're fighting- this game doesn't provide many reasons for conflict like real life politics do.

Wow, that sounds incredibly shallow... it seems that wars are basically orchestrated raids.

Thanks for clearing that up, I've been seeing an insane amount of wars lately but I couldn't for the life of me think why they're fighting- this game doesn't provide many reasons for conflict like real life politics do.

Not to go off topic, but join an alliance.

Even if you don't have tech or land, gaining the XP points to purchase generals is often a good enough reason for someone to raid you.  Also, an alliance would help with getting you tech deals that will be essential for your fast growth.

Then you will know what a war is versus a raid, as it will be when your alliance leaders explain that you are fighting someone you have never heard of, and will be for a few months.

Generals add bounus to your attacks and defenses during battles...They give spies better odds and they can give hapiness bonuses etc... http://www.cybernations.net/general_display.asp Look at puchase military on game screen after you've won some experience points battling...o/ :war:

I have already joined an alliance and I have a coordinated trade plan for all the members so we can get the maximum amount of bonus resources. However, I didn't know about generals, what are they?

Trade sets with the most bonus resources are actually not very good because they don't have very strong pop boosters. The best set for you is likely something along the lines of Construction/Beer/Fast Food/Fish, Gems.

So population increase is better than lowering infrastructure and other stuff's costs?

use this http://www.cybernations.net/stats_resource_tool.asp

click beer fast food and construcction and study that and modify the rest of the resorces to suit your goals with like fish for population and uranium for economy etc...

To be honest, you'd be better off trying a more established alliance as opposed to an unknown and unprotected entity.
They'd help you get your nation off to a solid start financially, and will teach you how to improve growth and guide you through those early times.
With some smart building, you can get on the path to creating wonders, and generals very quickly.
I am under 90 days old, and have 3 wonders and a full set of generals apart from Navy.
If you do carry on with the small alliance you are in, it would be wise to get the leader to reach out to an established alliance, to see if they can take you under their wing and protect you, as well as set up some tech dealing so you can get more cashflow into your nation.

To be honest, you'd be better off trying a more established alliance as opposed to an unknown and unprotected entity.
They'd help you get your nation off to a solid start financially, and will teach you how to improve growth and guide you through those early times.
With some smart building, you can get on the path to creating wonders, and generals very quickly.
I am under 90 days old, and have 3 wonders and a full set of generals apart from Navy.
If you do carry on with the small alliance you are in, it would be wise to get the leader to reach out to an established alliance, to see if they can take you under their wing and protect you, as well as set up some tech dealing so you can get more cashflow into your nation.

Wow!  How you did all that on three months?

Also someone told me that to get nukes, it would take like six months.  Is that right?

Edited by Cusj820

Wow!  How you did all that on three months?

Also someone told me that to get nukes, it would take like six months.  Is that right?

I made it in 61 days with a very aggressive growth style, in all honesty there is no reason it can't easily be done in 4 months giving yourself a decent financial starter set of wonders too.
Tech dealing is key, keep rotating the raids when small to build the XP, the air xp is the hard one to get.

So population increase is better than lowering infrastructure and other stuff's costs?

Especially at lower levels, your stuff is already very cheap. The extra pop boost makes your collections larger, lets you buy more improvements, and is just better in every way.

Thanks The Pansy!

There's much I need to learn about the game.

Do you back collect? that's really key to growing efficiently. It can be a difficult habit for a newer nation to learn at first, but once you're doing the back collect cycles, you can get up to 3999.99 and buying wonders absurdly fast.

I got my mp in 4 months, and could have done it sooner if I knew more about the game. If you build efficiently llike auctor says you will probably get it sooner than 4 months, trust him, he's a smart guy. As for what I did, I got the stock market when I hit 3999.99 infra then did 1.5 straight collection cycles and agressively saved for about a month( it could have been closer to 2 collection cycles ~40 days)

What is this 999 thing I keep on seeing?
Also, would it be bad to buy infrastructure and continue doing these deals? The more you grow, the more expensive stuff gets, and the lesser your profit margin will be, right?

I have two questions about war. 1) how can you (if you can) truly defeat a nation in war? I know wars can expire and peace treaties made, but is there a true victory here? Somebody told me to get their infrastructure down to 0, but what does that do?
2) if you get a nation down to anarchy, can you attack again the following day for more anarchy destruction?

What is this 999 thing I keep on seeing?

There are infra cost and upkeep jumps at 1000, 3000, 4000, 5000, and 8000. If you buy up but keep the amount of infra you have ending in 99.99, the cost to buy infrastructure is cheaper and your bills are less.

Also, would it be bad to buy infrastructure and continue doing these deals? The more you grow, the more expensive stuff gets, and the lesser your profit margin will be, right?

When starting out like you are, infrastructure is the most important thing to focus on. You really want to get up to about 3999.99-4999.99 before focusing too much on anything else. If you have red warning saying you need some land, it makes sense to buy a little. It also makes sense never to collect without 100 tech and not to go too much above that, it keeps the cost of tech low when you sell it. Definitely keep selling tech, and consider selling it 'til you have your first 3-4 economic wonders.

I have two questions about war. 1) how can you (if you can) truly defeat a nation in war?

A nation is defeated when it decides to be. You can destroy a nation's ability to fight back effectively, but if they can get aid, they can keep going. as long as they want to.

I know wars can expire and peace treaties made, but is there a true victory here? Somebody told me to get their infrastructure down to 0, but what does that do?

Getting a nation's infrastructure down to zero makes it harder for them to fight back or make money so they can continue to fight. They can't buy as many soldiers. It's nearly impossible to do to a nation that has proper funding though.

2) if you get a nation down to anarchy, can you attack again the following day for more anarchy destruction?

Yep, you can keep attacking that nation every day you are at war with them.

Wow, thanks for the help! This will help a lot.
I understood mostly everything but the infrastructure and tech levels. In order to have an alright (not beginning) nation, one needs 3999-4999 levels of infrastructure, and 100 tech, but no more tech than that?