SDI, how it works.

Maelstrom Vortex

I agree with Markus. There are way too many highly different plans here with so many different factors going on. This is going to need a lot more discussion and a hell of a lot more refining before it can be put up to any kind of intelligible vote. I could easily write up 2-3 threads worth of potential questions and still not have it all covered... this is a relatively large undertaking. I also don't think it is necessary to vote on allowing nukes in the RP. If it [i]is[/i] necessary to vote on that, then we should probably do that before we spend two weeks discussing hypotheticals based on something that won't even happen. But if you ask me, nukes have already been confirmed once as in when we did all the other rule-making about them before. So it might be better to work on altering the existing nuke system with minor modifications rather than doing a massive overhaul of the entire system. The simpler we go and the less we change, the less has to be discussed and voted on, and the less hair we all pull out before the rules are made.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We kind of have two discussions going here.

1. How should SDI work.

2. Does the current nuke system constitute sufficient deterence to encourage realistic state behavior and good roleplay?

The problem is the two are somewhat intrinsically linked. I didn't expect the latter part to spawn, but it did based on player discussion.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

It's never going to constitute "sufficient deterrence". This is RP, not RL. There are no lives lost when people get nuked. There is little realistic state behaviour. It's a pretty empty threat, and it's being treated as such already.

Further, forcing people to RP damages isn't going to hurt them. It'd just be some stuff on top of what they were already going to RP, or just a delay to it. Some people even like RPing too, apparently.

Edited by Horo the Wise Wolf

Maybe that is something that should change "no re-roll after starting or actively participating in nuclear conflict for x days." Then there is no escaping the consequences except to force yourself out of the rp for a while.. which isn't really an escape if you want to play.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

The CNRP1 rule on this was pretty functional imo. Ragequiting/rerolling after being nuked meant that your new nation had the exact same penalty RP for some other reason. Be it civil war or whatever, there is no escaping even with a reroll. And I believe there was some kind of penalty to nuking then immediately rerolling after firing, which is typically seen to be in poor taste. Even if there wasn't, there should be. People shouldn't be able to fling nukes willy nilly without consequence.