Quetzacoatl and Thor

Lynneth

[Private message to the Nordboerne Kongedoemme]

"To whom it may concern,

the Prince and the Princess have expressed their interest in a diplomatic meeting with your nation to discuss relations between our two nations and potentially establish a treaty of non-aggression and trade.

If you agree to such a meeting, merely give us the time and place, and one of their Highnesses will travel to Iceland."

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Director of Diplomacy,

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Principality of Tikal

A response would accept the invite, but would explain that due to the nature of Icelands present state of affairs, it would be requested that Director Rojas fly to a Norse airbase before boarding a chopper to HMS Frederick II to meet directly with the King.

Instead of Rojas flying in to Iceland, the Prince stepped out of a dark cubby in the battleship, smoothly walking into the room the King was located in.

"Good day, your Highness. I felt sending old Rojas to a massive combat vessel like this wouldn't be good for his blood pressure. I'm sure you understand."

'Son of Sol, good to see you again old friend, it is sad that it is under such circumstances' came the reply in a tired voice. Leaning forward into the light on his desk,  the Prince would see a man aged by his office and experiences, the stress was building up and he found himself spending more and more time in the throne to revitalise himself for the days activities and demands.

'I have no doubt Rojas would of been comfortable enough on the ship, but the helicopter flight over what remains of my nation might of tipped his delicate nature to far to one side if you catch my meaning' he said, standing up and offering his hand to the prince before gesturing to a drinks cabinate.

'Help yourself, its a very spartan change of lifestyle from Babylon is it not?'

He shook the King's hand, then sat, declining a drink. "You look absolutely terrible, like you've aged half a century in this short time. Keep going like that and you'll be sitting in that throne 24/7."

He leaned back with a sigh. "Anyways, as this technically isn't Babylon anymore, I'd like to get a NAP going between our nations, perhaps adding trade to it. You're sitting on the edge of the Atlantic now, which means anything you do concerns Tikal just a little more than it used to. I hope you understand?"

Edited by Lynneth

'Its nothing I cannot deal with friend, though I do appreiate your concern, makes a damn change from these blasted Ministers who pester me so reminding me of things a man could never forget. Thats not so bad either, its a damn comfortable throne.' he said with a wink

'I do however understand your meaning old friend and a NAP is something I can move along nicely with, but as far as trade, at the moment it would be rather one sided given the devestated state my nation finds itself in. However I am sure arrangments could be made for a delayed trade agreement, meaning, we would have one officially, and as my nation gets back to its feet, trade can flow freely between our states. That said I do have a boon of my own to ask'.

"A trade agreement would permit your nation to purchase certain materials and technologies more cheaply, something to perhaps keep in mind. Anyways." He produced a NAP, similar to the ODP once signed with Babylon, speaking of non-aggression and friendship. Only one thing was different, that being a clause that would hold Tikal to keeping from interfering in the Kingdom's European activities and Iceland to stay out of the Americas unless deliberately attacked or antagonised to a high degree.

"Is that good, or would you like something changed?"

'That looks good to me, but I must ask if Tikal would allow the Kingdom to begin annexing Greenland. Historically and culturally European for more than a thousand years, as well as a territory of the old Kingdom of Denmark, a royal line of which I am its last male descendent.'

'Allow me to explain. My great great grandfather was King Frederick André Henrik Christian I of the first incarnation of Nordboerne Kongedømme. During the great collapse he and his family survived and went into hiding. Over the decades, he died, and my grandfather grew up, got married and I was concieved when he was in Turkey living as a farmer under the Trojan menace that I would eventually wipe out during my time in Babylon. It was imperative that my identify remain hidden until I was ready to return to the northern territories, but with Sweden occupying my homeland and my people I had no choice but to begin a new in Iceland.' he would stand up and walk to a small safe on his desk, opening it, he pulled out an old, time aged piece of paper. His family tree.

'You see Son of Sol, direct lineage.' he said, tracing the line with his finger, ending with himself and Ishtar.

'I ask this not on some trumped up set of lies in order to gain more territory, but It does make strong my claim on the Danish throne when the time comes to go home. Greenland will not be militarised apart from a series of naval shipyards and a small garrison for Nuuk as well as a seperate agreement with yourself, as a contract amongst gentlemen so to speak, not to make a mockery of our friendship and spit in the face of your goodwill if you were to allow Greenland to be intergrated with the Kingdom.'

The Prince listened carefully but, at the end, sighed and leaned back in his chair, bringing the right hand to his forehead and temple. "I'm terribly, terribly sorry, my friend, but I can't in good conscience agree to ceding Greenland to you, no matter the stipulations. The reasons are manifold, but let me try to explain at least a few.

"First, the population of Greenland is surprisingly active, politically. They desire nominal independence, which Tikal has for the most part given them already, and which is something I wouldn't want to jeopardise in any way. Second, though Greenland has in the distant past been part of Denmark for a long time, the people don't consider themselves anything but Greenlanders. They don't think of themselves as Danish or Icelandic. After all, it originally was a [i]colony[/i]. Those tend to develop local culture.

"Next, and more politically, it would compromise the security of the Americas seriously, even if you promised not to militarise it. Were your Kingdom to fall, an opportunistic european nation could attempt to swoop in and 'secure' the island for their own purposes, likely sparking conflict. Fourth, and we have maps proving this, at the time of the original Nordboerne Kongedømme, the American Commonwealth had full control of Greenland. The cataclysm happened soon after." He took a deep breath.

"There are more than these four reasons, but they are those with the greatest weight. I cannot ask you to be pleased with this, only to understand the choice I make, and abide by it." He looked at the King. "I very much hope that this won't spoil our friendship, but a ruler, I cannot always act as I would like. I cannot always put my friends before the nation, or a continent. This, sadly, is one such time."

Frederick buried his head in his hands for a moment before straightening up again.

'Three quarters of my population has been obliterated and doomed to a nuclear oblivion, my cities lie in ruin and my only other hope of saving whats left of my people was Britain, a land now governing itself, and Greenland. Greenland at least shared a similar culture. I am also aware that Greenlanders consider themselves Greenlandic, but they are culturally European and historically.' he said, once again staring at his feet.

'Son of Sol, my people are on the edge and if we are to survive, we need lands to move into until the army CBRN teams have sanitised the area. I am prepared to go to any lengths to achieve this ultimate survival. Once I have regained my throne in Denmark, I will return Greenland to American protection, its state of autonomy at the moment will not change at all.'

"Greenland has neither the resources nor manpower to aid your Kingdom in any meaningful way. Tikal, however, has both. We have the technology to rebuild  Iceland and its cities, to cleanse it from radiation. You need but ask and I will send countless ships to aid your people. Would this not be far better, reliable and faster than anything you could do in or with Greenland?" He leaned back and rubbed a temple.

"Forgive me for not offering this earlier. I wasn't entirely here with my mind."

'Then consider this a cry for help friend, even with the aid we are getting, our resources are still stretched to their limits, and do not apologise, there is no need to. But if this is the case, then I do have one final request, and that is that Tikal supports my claim to the Danish throne when I go public with it. I won't ask for military support, or to even support any military action that may arise, only that you acknowledge my claim as legitimate when the time comes friend.'

The Prince nodded, a sad smile on his face. "And both you shall receive. Once home, I will have civilian supplies sent to Iceland, and two hospital ships redirected to aid in keeping the sick alive and the healthy from getting sick. I will also order a division of military engineers to aid you in rebuilding cities and bases, and cleansing the island of radioactive waste. The waste we will deport to Tikal, to blast into the very sun itself, importing healthy soil from other lands instead. Hopefully, it will be enough to bring your people back to their old strength."

He then added with a somewhat wry smile, "Though next time, I would appreciate if you could better rein your underlings in. Firing upon my Japanese friends was quite unnecessary."

Edited by Lynneth

'Your generosity knows no bounds. As for the Japs, is was unfortunate that the Italians nuked us, otherwise we might have been able to finish the job, and Japan wouldn't even know who hit them or why. It was a damn nice looking island though.'

"Please do keep in mind that Tikal has been allied and friendly with Japan for longer than I have been on good terms with you. Do you honestly think that insulting them endears you to me? I'll let it slide this time, but I will not let others insult my friends so easily, even if those others are my friends. Just food for thought."

'They are your allies, but they are unreliable and volitile and will bring ruin to Tikal if they are not kept in check friend. They can barely keep in control their own General Officers. It was however, not intended as an insult, but it is also food for thought when considering the future. '

"That, if it happens, will be my problem, not yours." He sighed. "That said, I'd better be off now. Things to do, people to speak with and whatnot." The Prince stood. "I bid you farewell."

With everything done, a treaty agreed to and aid promised, he walked behind a a pillar. The next moment he was elsewhere.

Frederick stood and walked to the pillar, and put his head behind it, expecting to see the other side of the room, he saw some sort of tunnel with madness serving as its occupant. Removing his head he quickly pulled out his phone and text the Tikalian Prince.

'Just put my head behind the pillar... wont be doing it again'